Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CSA Programs? page

Rivvin is offline Senior Member

CSA Programs?

Primal Fuel
    So I think I finally found a way to get vegetables and meat that are not full of disgusting crap: joining a CSA program.

I had never researched these and have been exchanging emails with one just outside of my city and it sounds like a really good deal.

Have any of you ever utilized one of these programs? What was your experience like?

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Please support your local CSAs. I don't have one available, but I sure miss the two I used to have.

My first experience was great. I grew avocados, tomatoes, onions, and peppers for the CSA, so I got everything else for free and that included fresh free range eggs and raw milk. My second experience was also great. I was just a paying customer. Pick ups were every Thursday between 12-5; or you could catch them the next morning at a farmer's market between 7-9. There's generally a few price options available. Pay for the season up front, get a big discount. Pay monthly or weekly installments. Pay for a full share or a half share. Some have dairy added pricing, so don't have the option. Some even raise and lower pricing by income levels of the customers. If you're fortunate enough to live in an area with a more than one, shop them and get the one that grows more of what you use. My biggest issue even on a prepaid half share was not being able to eat it all.

TxAgDuckman is offline Member
    OK, so what does CSA stand for?

goingprimal is offline Senior Member
    Community Supported Agriculture

I want to join one too - but none of the ones near me will call me back. Apparently they are quite popular and don't need my business! I do utilize the farmer's market and my local co-op - I find I can get many local tasty foods that way.

livingprimal is offline Senior Member
    I've done two different CSAs and I really enjoyed them. The first was one that delivered directly to my door. And I was able to choose from organic, or local organic (within the Pac NW) which was awesome. Then I did one where we went to the farm everyday and got to pick out our own weekly offerings, as well as get fresh eggs. They really help you try new things. Now that the farmers markets are open, I am using them so I can have more control of what I get. May go back to CSA in the winter but we'll see. If you have one available, use it! It's awesome to have local, fresh veggies every week!

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    CSA=a weekly bushel of awesome.

cla141 is offline Junior Member
    just picked up my second csa share today i think its awesome. we go out to the farm and pick it up weekly, i get a sample share instead of a full share. this week i got carrots, asparagus, dandelion, radishes, kale, spinach, apples and a couple other random bunches of greens. they also have lots of other organically grown veggies, greens and herbs for sale at the farm. its fun learning new recipes and thinking up new ways to cook it all. i highly suggest it!

gini is offline Senior Member
    I utilize one of these! It's a great way to incorporate fresh, local and varied produce into your diet. I absolutely love it and I love that it makes me explore new recipes based on what's in the box. It's how I discovered that I love beet green fritattas.

JeanPatrick is offline Senior Member
    Jonh durant blogged about it here.

To be honest, I am quite jaleous. I wish I had access to something like that.
    Living the hard way has never been so easy!
    My paleo website : www.primaljournal.com

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the great info guys. I am going to sign up for a full share with this farm and split it half and half with a friend.

I'm pretty excited now...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast