Page 47 of 300 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147 ... LastLast

Thread: Turquoise's NEW journal: rants and raves of gelatin and law school page 47

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    yeah. he definitely has a 9-5. and I think now, he only works 3 days a week or something, and they are talking about making him a partner in the engineering firm, which would take him up to $105 or something -- which is a big deal. And he's only 38 or something. the only other partners are the guys who started the firm, and it was a very young firm when he started working there at 16.
    Last edited by zoebird; 01-29-2014 at 06:52 PM.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Do you feel at all gross after eating so much protein? I feel like my stomach is tied in knots like a slug if I eat more than 100g in any given day. O_O

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Do you feel at all gross after eating so much protein? I feel like my stomach is tied in knots like a slug if I eat more than 100g in any given day. O_O
    Nah... I think it's genetics. I'm okay with eating 200+g a day... I did that for a while actually (high protein peat variation). I love red meat and I love eggs.

Right now I'm eating mostly carbs some days and then 200+g protein other days.
    New journal AQUI... where we chat, cuss, and post offensive stuff.

Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog. (Latest recipe: Easy Banana Soft Serve)

Professional Style Digital Magazine. Most recent feature: Madlena, Model, Animal Activist, Psychology Student

Elegance is not the prerogative of those who have just escaped from adolescence, but of those who have already taken possession of their future.
    - Coco Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    If were going by butt size I must have an IQ of at least 200

TQP
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    yeah. he definitely has a 9-5. and I think now, he only works 3 days a week or something, and they are talking about making him a partner in the engineering firm, which would take him up to $105 or something -- which is a big deal. And he's only 38 or something. the only other partners are the guys who started the firm, and it was a very young firm when he started working there at 16.
    That's pretty sweet then. I would love to do something like that later on in life (working 3x a week...do fashion/creative stuff the other days).

What's you/your husband's business, if you don't mind sharing?

Professional Style Digital Magazine. Most recent feature: Madlena, Model, Animal Activist, Psychology Student

Elegance is not the prerogative of those who have just escaped from adolescence, but of those who have already taken possession of their future.
    - Coco Chanel

We ran a holistic health center and yoga studio in Wellington, NZ, and we're launching a mobile yoga business under the same name here in Pittsburgh. So far, we have two clients already lined up, and the second client is connecting us with other departments (they are a HUGE operation), so we might get many, many clients out of this "one" client. We have a meeting set up with two other department's office managers, so it's going well.

And we haven't even launched yet!

We tend to work about 20 hours a week apiece on the business (if that) right now, and it brings a pretty comfortable income, honestly.

oh, and I was experimenting and discovered that 120g protein is a really good number for me. I mean, it's *really* good. So, I've been reaching for that.

TQP
    What do you mean by "mobile yoga business"? Do you guys teach yoga?

That sounds pretty ideal as a work situation. I think when I get my share of DO ALL THE THINGS I'll retire and do freelance styling 2-3x a week on shoots and some wardrobe consulting...whenever that point comes. I also like making jewelry.

- Coco Chanel

I teach yoga, DH does the marketing.

But, with me being the only teacher, I'm limited to about 10-15 classes/lessons per week -- and ideally, that would be only when DS is in school.

So, by subcontracting other teachers (and training them in the process), we're able to build the business sustainably beyond what I can teach myself. And ideally, we'll get to the point where I'm not teaching weekly classes, but instead gathering and retaining clients, training the teachers, and extending the business into new markets (i.e., other cities/towns/etc).

Right now, we're focusing on Pgh city limits, and then we'll look at moving out to surrounding areas.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    asians.jpg
    My Dad is so mellow he didn't really push me; my mom was kind of discouraging and would say things like, "why don't you be a secretary?". As I got older they got more accepting and were pretty proud of the PhD......even tho I'm a stay at home Mom with no job prospects at the moment....... =/. Sometimes when I'm scrubbing shit off of tiny jammies AGAIN I beat myself up by reminding myself that I went through Hell for my doctorate.
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

TQP
    Otter, that is pretty much the most awesome Asian meme I've ever seen in my life. EVER. I had to save it to my computer...

<3 My mom made a similar choice as you did. She has a master's in botany and a PhD in soil chemistry (or soil ecology? not sure which) but she's a stay-at-home mommy too. That particular field requires her to travel a lot, so she graduated with the PhD and never used it. She worked when I was little and I think she regretted not being there, so she's making up for lost time with my 2 siblings. PhD's are most definitely an achievement in of itself though... in my family it's seen as the ultimate crown jewel. A law degree is like... really shitty compared to a PhD haha. :P

What's your PhD in?

(Mom jokes about how she needs to go back to working because my sister for a while just wanted to "grow up and be mommy." It's funny how different my sister and I are just because of how mom was when we were younger. My parents both worked as botanists when I was little so I didn't even think of being a stay-home mom was an option...I was pretty much just trying to figure out what sort of scientist I wanted to be when I grow up all my life... but mom just being a mom is all my sister has ever known. )

- Coco Chanel