Page 330 of 512 FirstFirst ... 230280320328329330331332340380430 ... LastLast
Results 3,291 to 3,300 of 5111

Thread: Turquoise's NEW journal: rants and raves of gelatin and law school page 330

TQP
    TQP is offline Senior Member

Turquoise's NEW journal: rants and raves of gelatin and law school

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ekba09 View Post
    So I'm a few days behind, but I have to say that transport nerds are the best kind. And despite its flaws, Aspen is your friend.

Enjoy Austin. Have some BBQ for the rest of us.
    Aspen screwed me on my senior project because we got screwy thermodynamic data for the choice of amine we used to "scrub" the flue gas.

Do you still use it?

What kind of chemical engineering do you do?

Annnnnd yes. Stay tuned on the BBQ front. I cannot not be in Texas and have BBQ less than 2-3x.

--------

Bought Bulgarian yogurt. Looked interesting. Tastes super good. I am perplexed where the 0.5g fat comes from per serving though, since they used nonfat milk. Dat engineering rounding...

Also got: 6 giant mangos, 99 cent on sale each.
    2 atulfo mangoes
    2lbs strawberries
    1 melon
    15ish giant bananas
    1lb organic carrots
    1lb 96% lean beef
    3L yogurt
    Another 2lbs berries in the fridge but my sister competes with me for berries.
    1lb grapes.
    Another few grapefruits/honeydew/etc in the house. fruct up.

I also saw mom get bell peppers, eggplant, and broccoli...basically the types of veggies I will devour the entire family's worth of when she makes them. She cooks in olive oil which isn't ideal, but better than corn oil. I always get my own protein source because the meats are cooked in corn oil.

Oh and is brought gelatin with me, and I left coconut oil and some whey here from last time.
    JOURNAL.

Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog. (Latest recipe: Popsicles!)

Professional Style Website. (Latest features: How to Remix a Pant Suit; Courtney, Fashion Editor)

"A sense of humour and a little lack of respect: that's what you need to make a legend survive."- Karl Lagerfeld

ekba09 is online now Member
    I work on process improvement and new plant design for a large global manufacturer. I do still use Aspen - mainly for design/optimization/troubleshooting of distillation, scrubbing and stripping columns. I usually get (or my team gets) our own thermodynamic data, rather than using the canned Aspen data.

So basically, I make stuff.

Last time I was in Austin, we got up early on Sunday and stood in line for La Barbecue. Good stuff, and free beer while you wait.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I went out for BBQ last night and thought of you. No idea if it was "good" or not, I am not too particular about meats. I got brisket, a farm salad (really good, had nuts and grapes in it), and collard greens .
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

TQP
    Quote Originally Posted by ekba09 View Post
    I work on process improvement and new plant design for a large global manufacturer. I do still use Aspen - mainly for design/optimization/troubleshooting of distillation, scrubbing and stripping columns. I usually get (or my team gets) our own thermodynamic data, rather than using the canned Aspen data.

So basically, I make stuff.

Last time I was in Austin, we got up early on Sunday and stood in line for La Barbecue. Good stuff, and free beer while you wait.
    Oooo. So do you travel a lot for new plants?

We used data from my professor's research lab. -____- It was on some experimental solvent so the thermodynamic data was messed up and we realized halfway through the semester.

I've heard that place is good! I might have to look into that place a little more...

-------------------------

So I yelled at my parents last night over dinner for constantly calling my sister fat. So I tend to call it like it is but my sister is NOT fat. She's not even overweight or in threat of it for someone who is her height.

She is fatter than my brother, but everyone is fatter than him, as he is about 5'9.5-5'10" now and still 120 lbs.

Last night my brother was once again "ohhh I'm just helping my sister eat so she doesn't get so fat" to my little sis. I yelled at him for this, because he was already being a rudeass from the moment he walked in the door earlier that day.

Then my dad chimed in, and I just... got really angry. My brother is allowed to be cruel because he sees my dad do it. How would a 13 year old boy know any better than what his father does?

So I yelled at my dad, saying that it's technically HIS fault if my sister WAS fat (which she isn't). He and my mom are the ones buying Nutella, doritos, etc. for my siblings...along with weekly McDonald's trips.

That was very immature of me in retrospect, to call my dad out publicly like that in front of the family. I'm probably going to talk to him and mom separately about the issue to tell them that they aren't exactly helping my sister lose weight at all, just causing her to have an unhealthy relationship with food and with body image down the road.

They aren't helping my brother either. He thinks he can put whatever junk into his body he wants to because he's skinny. Both of them...they only think about food = fat/skinny. I've been TRYING to counter that with food is fuel, etc. However, I'm only home for at most 3 weeks in a year.

I've learned with kids (or people in general) that they are what you call them. The kid who gets called "bad" acts out because his identity becomes "I'm the bad kid in the family." The kid who gets called fat starts to identify herself with "fat" and would have issues losing any sort of weight down the line. My brother gets called "lazy" and "useless", when really he should just be complimented the few times he takes initiative in learning or whatever. Then he would realize "this is good behavior; I should do this more" instead of thinking "well so what? I'm lazy."

Maybe I'm just so angry about this weight issue because I used to be the girl who was called those things...all of those things... "useless", "fat", "ugly", "stupid" etc by my father. I had to unlearn to associate myself with those words over the years. I spent my middle school years eating only french fries for lunch, nothing for breakfast, and running 3 mi a day to be stick thin. I WAS stick thin (a small size 2, 5'7.5-8")... then came my period and all the related hormones that made me slightly bigger. I was dieting my way through HS and I only got fatter. I was never FAT, but I definitely wasn't skinny throughout the latter part of HS. It wasn't until college when I decided to eat HEALTHY, and exercise. Slowly the basal "body shape" (I'm not going to say weight, since due to weightlifting that's been going up) has been improving, putting on a bit of muscle, and slimming down, over the course of 5-6 years.

In any case, I'm going to try to talk to him about this probably on Sunday, as I'm not going to be around on Saturday. I'm doing a photoshoot. (Theme for the shoot: young and reckless... we're taking a roadtrip and shooting as we drive. Tons of shots of smoking, "shoplifting", drinking, etc. So, for once we had to say "18+" on the model casting, as models we work with tend to be 15-20).

Kind of like this, but with much different styling. I'm not digging the weird posh dresses paired with this theme here. purse 'n boots: cry baby

I haven't decided if I want a "sex drugs rock n' roll" theme to the styling or what.

The photographer is one of my favorite up and coming photogs ^^^ Joey shoots a lot of the "young" campaigns...like Forever 21 etc.
    Last edited by TQP; 05-08-2014 at 06:29 AM.
    JOURNAL.

Professional Style Website. (Latest features: How to Remix a Pant Suit; Courtney, Fashion Editor)

"A sense of humour and a little lack of respect: that's what you need to make a legend survive."- Karl Lagerfeld

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    I've learned with kids (or people in general) that they are what you call them. The kid who gets called "bad" acts out because his identity becomes "I'm the bad kid in the family." The kid who gets called fat starts to identify herself with "fat" and would have issues losing any sort of weight down the line. My brother gets called "lazy" and "useless", when really he should just be complimented the few times he takes initiative in learning or whatever. Then he would realize "this is good behavior; I should do this more" instead of thinking "well so what? I'm lazy."
    That's a seriously good observation, thank you.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

TQP

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    That's a seriously good observation, thank you.
    No problem! I learned from The Language of Listening mostly how to deal with kids and people.
    JOURNAL.

Hermyone is offline Senior Member
    Wtg... you are a better parent than most I know basic psychology eh?? Have fun in tx.... eat some bbq for me!!!

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk

Emtropy is offline Senior Member
    I feel so bad for your sister ;_; I would say i know how she feels but it seems like her treatment is a) absolutely unjust (I've always been a chubby kid) and b) relentless.

Anyhow, she's lucky to have you as a big sister :3
    I'm not an emo, I swear

TQP

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I went out for BBQ last night and thought of you. No idea if it was "good" or not, I am not too particular about meats. I got brisket, a farm salad (really good, had nuts and grapes in it), and collard greens .
    Just saw this post!! Ahhhhh. I am proud you connect me with BBQ.

------

@hermyone: thank you. XD too bad I don't want to be a parent. Waste knowledge eh? I actually spent my entire teens years taking care of siblings and their friends, babysitting, being art teacher for kids, being camp counselor for special needs kids, being The Oldest Child in absolute terms at every Chinese party so I have to make sure everyone eat their greens etc...

I am all kid-ed out. Lol. Enough diapers, vomits, etc to last me a lifetime. XD

On the plus side, I never had any desire to become a teenage mom.
    JOURNAL.

Hermyone is offline Senior Member
    Lolz... totally understand that!! You already raised a family! Agree with Em that your sis is lucky to have you..

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk