Thread: How to get enough thiamine? page

Barefoot123 is offline Junior Member

How to get enough thiamine?

Shop Now
    Hi! I tracked my food intake from time to time for the last year and every time I only get something like 50% of thiamine. The only days that I get enough is when I eat pork, but I don't eat pork every day. I'm a bit worried about this, I can't conceive getting the other 50% from broccoli and brussel sprout, that's gonna be 2 to 4 pound of veggies per day. That's ridiculous. How do you get enough thiamine?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Medscape: Medscape Access

Are you suffering symptoms of beriberi? If not I wouldn't be concerned, but check out the following if you are (concerned that is).

"Food that are rich in thiamine are as follows[1] (see Table 1, below):

Whole-grain foods
    Meat/fish/poultry/eggs
    Milk and milk products
    Vegetables (ie, green, leafy vegetables; beets; potatoes)

Legumes (ie, lentils, soybeans, nuts, seeds)
    Orange and tomato juices
    Thiamine is not present in fats or highly refined sugars and is present sparingly in cassava. Foods containing thiaminases, such as milled rice, shrimp, mussels, clams, fresh fish, and raw animal tissues, decrease absorption.[8]

Cassava is a staple in many developing countries and has been used in a variety of high-energy diets. Although it contains thiamine (0.05-0.225 mg of thiamine per 100 g of cassava, depending on the crop), the high carbohydrate load of a diet rich in cassava actually consumes more thiamine than it offers the body. This can produce a thiamine deficiency through the same mechanism observed when dextrose is administered to a person with limited supplies of the vitamin."

So eat those things in bold, and recognize that a carbohydrate restricted diet (Primal) requires lower levels of thiamin than the recommended levels in the SAD dietary program you are likely consulting.

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    If you add up the thiamin content of your food this doesn't necessarily represent the amount of thiamin you're actually absorbing, since absorption rates can vary. Thus it might not be helpful to focus on those kinds of numbers unless you're grossly deficient.

Barefoot123 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for your answers. I know about the fact that eating low carb require less thiamine, but actually I'm not on a low carb paleo diet. I'm mostly mid-carb - high carb. I do not seem to have any symptom from thiamine deficiency, and I usually don't bother about numbers since they vary every day, but 50% seem pretty low and it happen every time I track my food.