Thread: Primal And Still High Cholesterol page

jakeb is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Primal And Still High Cholesterol

Primal Fuel
    I'm quite strict about my primal diet, and get a lot of exercise.

Gym three times a week, heavy lifting. Walking, at least 15-20km a week, often more. Biking, including sprints, around the city at least several times per week.

Eating grass fed beef, lots of veggies, zero bred, pasta, rice, processed food. Some fruit, occasionally yoghurts, a fair amount of dairy products (love raw milk, aware that it's a point of contention for some).

And yet my LDL is still over the limit.

My doctor says it's genetic, and at my age (40), pills are the only solution.

Anybody else with this experience? What other details might be helpful, and what can I do to get this LDL down, without pills? I can't concede this whole notion that it's "just genetic".

Advice appreciated.

Timthetaco is offline Senior Member
    What are you cholesterol numbers, exactly? "Over the limit" could be anywhere from 150 mg/dl to infinity. We need numbers for context.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    We're all different, but my LDL plummeted when I got away from coconut oil. It was 275 and dropped to 165 in just a few months. I also started eating potatoes, that might have been trapping bile and letting me dispose of it. My HDL didn't budge, though, it stayed in the 80-90 range.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    One more tamarind, MATT DAMON
    might be the day I tried the liver - just like you

Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

SumoFit is offline Junior Member
    The high cholesterol scare is a crock. Watch the film "Statin Nation" and then suggest to your doctor that he/she watch it. He/she probably won't, but at least you'll have done your bit to help shake up the complacency of CW.

$TATIN NATION

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    See:
    Test of effect of lipid lowering by diet on cardiovascular risk. The Minnesota Coronary Survey.

This study included over 9000 people and compared a diet with more saturated fat to a diet with more polyunsaturated fat. The people eating saturated fat had a higher cholesterol level and a slightly higher survival rate.

Eating saturated fat will raise your cholesterol levels. This does not cause heart disease.

Love you guys. This is some excellent stuff.

However did we live, before the days of Internets? Feeling a lot better, reading all of this. Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
    See:
    Test of effect of lipid lowering by diet on cardiovascular risk. The Minnesota Coronary Survey.

This study included over 9000 people and compared a diet with more saturated fat to a diet with more polyunsaturated fat. The people eating saturated fat had a higher cholesterol level and a slightly higher survival rate.

Eating saturated fat will raise your cholesterol levels. This does not cause heart disease.

Zarkh is offline Junior Member
    Also check out this wonderful thread about cholesterol.
    Griff really covers it all.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ead.php?t=4723
    "Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set fire to a man, and he's warm for the rest of his life."
    Terry Pratchett

Best advices ever, here. Finally made it home to check on the numbers.

Really loved this post: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread4723.html - fantastic stuff. My dad is a doctor, actually rather well known and all, and he squarely falls into the not-a-clue camp. Interesting too, how much doctors get super dismissive about any concepts that they haven't learned in school (no finger points to a certain dude in another thread *cough*)

the numbers:

total: 6,3 (243.6)
    hdl: 1,23 (47,56)
    ldl 5,04 (195)
    tri 1,39 (123)

Any thoughts on necessary diet changes there? Ran the ratios:

ldl/hdl 4.1
    total/hdl 5.1
    tri/hdl 4.6

And that all looked good, except for tri/hdl.

codered5 is offline Senior Member
    In asian cultures high cholesterol is considered healthy...all other things being equal, if you and i are both the same height, weight, etc but i have higher cholesterol numbers, i probably also have a better neurotransmitter and hormone profile.

PrimalCon New York
    I'll get those done next time I get a panel - which will probably be in six weeks or so, since there as one bit of uncoolness in the results.

TSH over 6,000mIU/l. Yikes. But it's an incomplete Thyroid panel, just TSH. Found this interesting bit on Thyroid: Bloodwork results shows extremely high TSH level !? - Yahoo Answers

It seems like I can't get away with any bad habits in my diet (nowhere near enough fish / Vit D / Omega3). I wonder how all these people living on pizza, beer, cigarettes and daily coffee survive.