Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan going Primal page

goingprimal is offline Senior Member

Vegan going Primal

Primal Fuel
    Hi all...I have been vegan for several months now, thinking that was the healthiest way. I have noticed I am low on energy sometimes and not recovering after workouts, so it seems it is time for a change. I guess I am a non-traditional vegan, because I refuse to use most meat substitutes - makes it hard to get your protein! I have been doing research and it seems a balanced diet including some meat and still lots of vegetables would be a healthy new option for me. Anyway, I am changing my way of thinking and contemplating going Primal. Any advise is appreciated!

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! Soak up all the information you possibly can here. There are ALOT of great people here that can guide you in your new endeavor. Good Luck! I did a brief experiment with Vegetarianisim, and it was the Worst time in my life. I refuse to eat most soy products, so I ate primarily grains and legumes and was NEVER so sick and gassy. LOVE being primal so far, and once I came out of my carb flu of about 2 1/2 weeks, I am feeling GREAT.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Enjoy the bacon.

SRMnM is offline Member
    Hiya, and welcome. I guess right now you are only contemplating going Primal. Thats a good place to start because i know a lot of us here took some months and even years to decided to go primal. You're getting very tired after your workouts because your muscles are not getting even a fraction of the protein required to help them heal. If you dont get enough protein, even the simplest tasks can leave you feeling weak and sometimes defeated and the truth is that this can be changed relatively quickly. One meal is all that it takes.
    I would suggest eating 300g of any sort of meat or seafood for a week and see how you feel.
    Optimal choices are grass-fed beef, unfarmed salmon, shrimp is almost all protein, roast chicken breast wrapped in bacon is great too.
    Im sure you're also familiar about carb reduction. Maybe eat less than 100g per day for the same week too.
    By day 3 you will have a lot more energy, by day 7, hopefully, you will have a primal/paleo shopping list at the super-market!

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    We now have your soul.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Thanks for the helpful advice. I have actually been 'dabbling' for a couple of days. I started eggs again this week and had fish once, too. For some reason it is hard to take the leap back into land animals, so I might stick with shrimp and fish to start. I need to get the carbs under control, though - veganism relies so heavily on them that I am doing a complete 180. I am excited to get started!

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goingprimal View Post
    Hi all...I have been vegan for several months now, thinking that was the healthiest way. I have noticed I am low on energy sometimes and not recovering after workouts, so it seems it is time for a change. I guess I am a non-traditional vegan, because I refuse to use most meat substitutes - makes it hard to get your protein! I have been doing research and it seems a balanced diet including some meat and still lots of vegetables would be a healthy new option for me. Anyway, I am changing my way of thinking and contemplating going Primal. Any advise is appreciated!
    Just curious, but if you weren't eating fake meat substitutes where were you getting most of your protein from?

Well, I thought I was getting it from beans. I realized how un-balanced I was eating when I input my daily meals into a nutrient database and saw that the carb to protien ratio of beans makes them similar to other foods classified as carbs - not similar to other protein sources...which was another piece of news that led me to this site to get more information.

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    as a vegetarian i relied heavily on rice&beans, tepeh, tofu, seitan.

blech... now i know what it feel like to actually get protein from your food. *flex*

SCW1907 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Welcome GoingPrimal! I admire your open-mindedness, that will serve you well as you investigate the Primal lifestyle. As I keep seeing, reading the posts and comments from the others here (great resources), as long as you are moving forward and trying (adapting) to become more, and more primal you will see and feel the benefits of the lifestyle. The folks who have been here for some time would likely tell you that if you are having some reservations about eating land animal protein, then make sure you are getting plenty of water dwellers...mix it up too! Just keep trying to get to the optimum macronutrient balance (try is the magic word).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast