Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vegan going Primal page 2

jrherring is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    2nd this...

crap...clicked wrong button.

2nd 'enjoy the bacon'. !
    Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    Welcome and best of luck to you! I'd say take it slow and try a small amount of meat in a large amount of veggies. Almost to the point where you barely notice there's meat in there. From there, slowly increase the amount until you acquire the taste for it. Then there's no turning back!

goingprimal is offline Senior Member

Smile

Thanks everyone! I did have some shrimp with a salad and steamed veggies for lunch today. It's a start!

SRMnM is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goingprimal View Post
    Thanks everyone! I did have some shrimp with a salad and steamed veggies for lunch today. It's a start!
    Good for you!! Just had some shrimp for lunch! Yum!

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Good for you! As a former vegetarian (was for 12 years), adding animal fat and protein/meat back into my diet was by far THE BEST thing I've ever done for my health! You will NOT regret this! Keep at it!

Thanks - it is nice to hear from former vegetarians as I embark on this change. Scallops and steamed veg and salad for dinner - I felt like crud last night (headache, stomach upset) but today I feel much better - I am sure it is just due to the change. I added some butter to my eggs this morning and hopefully the extra fat helps. One question - are potatoes and sweet potatoes okay, or should they be avoided too? I need to get the book...

jrherring is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potatoes on occasion. Potatoes, no go.

Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goingprimal View Post
    One question - are potatoes and sweet potatoes okay, or should they be avoided too? I need to get the book...
    Potatoes are a personal decision IMO. There are some paleo advocates who are ok w/ potatoes/feel they are something Grok *would* have eaten. Check out this link, and the links to 'primal potatoes' w/in for more on that. http://freetheanimal.com/2010/04/pal...-potatoes.html That being said, more paleo advocates than not feel potatoes are really *not* paleo/primal.

Mark (and others) feel sweet potatoes are better than white, and he includes them in the sensible indulgences section in his book, I believe (with things like dark chocolate and wine.)

HTH!

Peggy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    Good for you! As a former vegetarian (was for 12 years), adding animal fat and protein/meat back into my diet was by far THE BEST thing I've ever done for my health! You will NOT regret this! Keep at it!
    I second this! When I compare how I feel now to my "healthy vegetarian" days, well there is no comparison! I feel loads better. I wasn't overweight or anything, but I still lost 10 pounds (around the mid section & thighs). I'm still loving that I don't bog down every afternoon & my digestive tract is much happier (no gas, no bloaty feeling)
    I went in gradually too, eating lots of eggs, then adding salmon & tuna, then I "graduated" to land animals. I'm never going back to SAD, never...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wow - the support here is amazing. I appreciate everyone not telling me to stuff down a steak first thing, but to allow time to ease in....that said, since I live in the Midwest it is probably going to be cheaper and easier to come by beef (grass-fed, local of course) than an unlimited supply of sustainable seafood. I am thinking of going all out this weekend and grabbing some beef at the farmers market. Eek - what will my veg friends think! Hopefully I have good progress and can show them how much better I feel, look, etc. and they will join the party!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast