Thread: TrueNutrition? page

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member

TrueNutrition?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I saw this site plugged here a little while ago. I decided to check them out, since I like making protein shakes and it's been a while since I ordered any.

It's really cheap! That makes me suspicious. 1.2 pounds of Now Foods whey protein isolate (unflavored) on Amazon costs about twice as much as a pound of TN's unflavored protein isolate.

What's up with that?

I also noticed you can Build Your Own, which is pretty interesting. How's the quality of their various additives?

M.

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    What's up with that?

No middle man, no distributors. Now food buys their protein (maybe manufactures it), then sells it to a distributor, distributor then turns around and sells it to Amazon, Amazon then turns around and sells it to you.

Trupe Nutrition has been around for a long time (they used to be trueprotein.com ), they manufacture and ship to YOU. You also get full control. They ship it in a plastic bag unless you pay EXTRA for a plastic tub. They don't have fancy labeling, they don't have to advertise in stores, they don't have to have staff handling relationships with distributors, they are essentially on demand so they only have to warehouse raw materials.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

So legit, then?

How's their QC?

M.

GiGiEats is online now Senior Member
    My mother ordered one... They add modified food starch, maltodextrin and such, even if you say no sweetener and all natural flavoring, so if you're not okay with those added ingredients, then this is too good to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    So legit, then?

How's their QC?

M.
    I love them, I don't order from them regularly anymore as I like real food but when I did use tons of protein powder I've probably ordered 100lbs or so. I like being able to control the mix entirely.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I saw this site plugged here a little while ago. I decided to check them out, since I like making protein shakes and it's been a while since I ordered any.

It's really cheap! That makes me suspicious. 1.2 pounds of Now Foods whey protein isolate (unflavored) on Amazon costs about twice as much as a pound of TN's unflavored protein isolate.

What's up with that?

I also noticed you can Build Your Own, which is pretty interesting. How's the quality of their various additives?

M.
    The NOW foods WPI is way overpriced on Amazon. You can find better prices elsewhere. Especially if you buy bigger quantities.
    The Champagne of Beards

Seems to be the case. I'm going to take a deeper look at TN's options. I'm going to guess their multi-vitamin additives aren't worth the addition, though.

M.

MouthDR is offline Senior Member
    Seems to be the case. I'm going to take a deeper look at TN's options. I'm going to guess their multi-vitamin additives aren't worth the addition, though.

M.
    I have ordered from them in the past: very happy with their protein. QC? Anyone's guess really, just like with any protein. You could always send off a small sample to have it tested? Doesn't cost much.

But the one post was correct: they do add some additives to even their natural flavouring, which is unfortunate. If I want "natural" just give me the flavour and stevia.

M.
    I asked them via email a year or two ago... yeah basically

Good morning Ryan and thanks for the e-mail! These amounts can be found below:

The following content is added to each 30g serving of protein powder purchased when selecting the Vitamin and Mineral Mix additive:

107mg / Serv:
    Vitamin A Palmitate 5
    Ascorbic Acid 25
    D-Alpha Tocopherol Succinate 15
    Niacinamide 5
    D-Calcium Pantothenate 12.5
    Pyridoxine Hydrochloride 0.5
    Chromium Polynicotinate 0.06
    Riboflavin 0.5
    Thiamin Mononitrate 0.4
    Biotin 0.075
    Folic Acid 0.07
    Cyanocobalamin 0.0015
    Sodium 10
    Potassium 27.5

The following content is added to each 30g serving of protein powder purchased when selecting the Electrolytes additive:

Sodium Chloride 100mg
    Chloride (from Sodium Chloride) 60mg
    Calcium Chelate 50mg
    Magnesium Aspartate 25mg
    Potassium Gluconate 25mg
    Zinc Aspartate 5mg
    Vitamin B-6 6mg
    L-Tyrosine 50mg

Thanks again, and please feel free to reach us with any additional questions or requests,

-Carl

Also

Good Morning Ryan and thanks for the e-mail, our Grass Fed Whey Protein is an undenatured whey protein concentrate that is sourced from skim milk.

Thanks again, and please feel free to reach us with any additional questions or requests,

Quote Originally Posted by MouthDR View Post
    I have ordered from them in the past: very happy with their protein. QC? Anyone's guess really, just like with any protein. You could always send off a small sample to have it tested? Doesn't cost much.

But the one post was correct: they do add some additives to even their natural flavouring, which is unfortunate. If I want "natural" just give me the flavour and stevia.
    You mean their unflavored stuff still has more than just whey protein?

M.