Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meat confusion page

spursberry is offline Member

Meat confusion

Shop Now
    Hi

Been eating primal/paleo for some time and going good!

I've presumed some meats are bad and not had them but recently wondered if I was right! Given they are meat makes me think they are ok but then they are often in packaging which is usually an indication of bad!

Can some one tell me about the below (and add any you think I might like to know are ok!)

Chorizo
    Salami and cured meats in general
    Corned beef

Thanks guys
    UK PBer

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Cured meat really varies, there will be good and bad specimens of every type. Since it's typically high fat I stick to the reputable local farms (big brands have too many additives). I prefer it more as a potent flavor garnish in a lunch salad or omelet--not a protein staple--mostly due to cost. My favorites are probably beef franks w/ sauerkraut, and liverwurst with mustard and pickles.
    36//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Thanks
    Pickle Pete interesting! Ta
    UK PBer

Demosthenes is offline Member
    I wouldn't make them a regular part of my diet because of the additives. Salami in particular I have issue with- it's in the same category as lunch meat for me. However there are certainly preserved/processed meats that are more natural. As a rule of thumb I would indulge in salami and the highly processed stuff infrequently. Corned beef is really just a cheap cut of meat brined in pickling spices so I wouldn't worry too much about that- I still would only eat it a few times a month at most.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Like picklepete said, quality will vary. You can try to find high quality versions if you want or just buy the high quality meat and make your own. I wouldn't sweat the nitrates:

The Nitrate and Nitrite Myth: Another Reason not to Fear Bacon

Wildrose is online now Senior Member
    Chorizo is just a type of sausage. It's just spicy, if you eat pork go right ahead. Beef chorizo is available but I don't like it much.

Salami and cured meats... Mark did a post about that a while ago. He had a lot of organic, high quality stuff and ate a lot of it, and it made him queasy. So I'd say the good stuff is okay once in a while but all the time? Probably not.

Corned beef? I thought that was just beef cooked with corning spices. Are you talking canned? If so, read the ingredient list.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Corned beef is usually cured with sodium nitrate. That's how it stays pink after it's been cooked. Again, I don't think that's a problem and I agree with everyone else that these meats should be occasional or condiments and not staples.

Everyone: most helpful thank you! I was only looking at these as occasional treats and looks like I have permission! Ha ha

Thanks again
    UK PBer

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    I stay clear of supermarket deli / cured meats.

The stabilisers & additives are unnecessary but I love ox tongue but can get it from my butcher that makes it's twice a week same with salt beef & pastrami .
    Like others said use as a snack wouldn't have a meal from it

From London England UK

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Source is really important here. If it's your local butcher or really hand made in house, I would rather have it than supermarket steaks.

Additives are something to look out for, though nitrites aren't a big a deal as we used to think they were. Mark and Robb have both done some pretty of articles on nitrites. The deal breaker additives for me are wheat/gluten/derivatives (intolerant), preservatives other than salt/pink salt, meat substitutes (soy, TVP, MSG) and anything I don't recognize (and I am pretty good at ingredient label translation).

Basically just remember it's had a little more processing than is ideal and treat it like a treat. Prosciutto is one of the sublime things of life, but it takes me a month to go through a pack of bacon. I figure chocolate is primal, but you wouldn't want to make a meal of that either (well, maybe I would think I want to).
    yeah, but "hey i'm Khan the sword king" is not normal.... the universe is being fickle... this is a thing... ignore me for a few weeks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast