Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Sleep Hack page 3

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Carbohydrates/starches no lower than 100 g + enough food overall.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    sexercise.
    +1.

Or Magnesium
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

PrimalRage is offline Junior Member
    I used to have a ton of staying asleep. I'd wake up at 3am and have trouble falling back asleep. I did a ton of research and testing and found a solution that helps me.

- Peppermint Tea with honey
    - 1000 mg of Niacinamide

Taken right before bed time. Stuff makes me stay asleep.

Uggla is offline Junior Member
    I have real trouble with my sleep, I sleep about 2 to 4 hours every night and have for almost 3 years now.

I have two diagnosed chronic head conditions called aura migraines (pretty common) and cluster headaches (not so common).
    My cluster headaches wake me every time I get near rem sleep and because of this I am afraid to sleep so I don't do it and then the lack of sleep makes everything worse. Even if I did fall asleep my cluster headaches would wake me as soon as I fall into rem sleep.

In my case I have to take more dramatic steps to get sleep, tonight I am starting melatonin because it is known to help some cluster suffers which is not recommended for everyone but in my rare case I do not have many choices. Cluster headache suffers often are very deficient in melatonin and in vitamin D3
    -Nú mun hon søkkvask.

http://www.instagram.com/old_hag

Mamame is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    +1 on sexercise - with or without a partner. Nothing like a good Oh! to put you to sleep.
    Not always. There's nothing more guaranteed to wake me up completely with no hope of sleep for at least 2 hours.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uggla View Post
    I have real trouble with my sleep, I sleep about 2 to 4 hours every night and have for almost 3 years now.

I have two diagnosed chronic head conditions called aura migraines (pretty common) and cluster headaches (not so common).
    My cluster headaches wake me every time I get near rem sleep and because of this I am afraid to sleep so I don't do it and then the lack of sleep makes everything worse. Even if I did fall asleep my cluster headaches would wake me as soon as I fall into rem sleep.

In my case I have to take more dramatic steps to get sleep, tonight I am starting melatonin because it is known to help some cluster suffers which is not recommended for everyone but in my rare case I do not have many choices. Cluster headache suffers often are very deficient in melatonin and in vitamin D3
    That sounds pretty brutal. Careful with the melatonin, though, as it's a hormone.

I have a guy I know who suffers nightly (or nearly so) from sleep paralysis.

When I was heavier I was beginning to develop sleep apnea, but I can't imagine it's anything like legit pain.

M.

fatgoose is offline Junior Member
    My wife just sent me this link from butterbeliever.com . Says to use a dose of sugar and salt to allow you to fall back asleep. Seems similar to some of your advice of carbs (bannana, honey) before bed. Maybe worth a shot.

I'm still experimenting with the Potato Starch before bed with decent results.

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    If your main problem is waking up and not being able to fall back asleep, it might help to realize waking up in the middle of the night is kinda normal. Search "second sleep", segmented sleep, and some phrase in French I can't remember right now. I'm pretty sure there've been some posts on the MDA blog about it, too.

The point isn't to know it as an abstract fact, but to remember it and use it to appreciate what's going on when you wake up. Remind yourself this is normal and you'll probably drop back off, especially if you develop some habits to keep yourself drowsy. For example, recite things you know by heart to yourself, do things that aren't too stimulating, and especially just don't get tensed up and freaking out because OMG I'll never get back to sleep and whatnot. Instead, think about calm things or do something soothing or repetitive (some people do minor chores).

I used to have that middle-of-the-night problem but now I've retrained myself totally, and I can fall back asleep even if I wake up about an hour before I wanted to get up, which used to be the kiss of death for me (and a sorely missed extra hour of sleep). Definitely can also make a difference if you either train yourself not to need a light if you need to get out of bed, or make sure your night light is not blue, as noted above.

I've tried the honey thing, and it doesn't make any difference for me. YMMV.
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

fifer is offline Senior Member
    Get up and get outside in the morning to get as much actual outside sunlight or just plain daylight, not through glass, as you can. That "resets" your body clock and really does help you to get to sleep the following night.

~IanB is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fifer View Post
    Get up and get outside in the morning to get as much actual outside sunlight or just plain daylight, not through glass, as you can. That "resets" your body clock and really does help you to get to sleep the following night.
    Yes, this, and also turn off all screens (blue light) at least an hour before bed, preferably a couple of hours.
    Free Range Paleo on Facebook

My Paleo Diet Recipes and Ramblings and bacon related humor

Can you lose weight on a Paleo / Primal diet? Yes! Paleo Weight Loss

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast