Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: RS, Potato Starch, How to use. page

ChoobDriver is offline Member

RS, Potato Starch, How to use.

Hello,
    One quick question. I have some Bob's Red Mill Unmodified Potato Starch, how do forum members use it and in what quantities?

Thanks

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I take 2 TBSP in the morning, and 2 in the evening. I just put it in a mug and mix it with a small amount of water. If you don't mix it more or less immediately, it will form a semi-solid mass on the bottom of the mug and be a lot harder to mix.

I have read/heard that mixing it with probiotic foods (sauerkraut/kefir) has some type of beneficial effect. Something about the bacteria glomming on to the RS and helping carry it further down the colon. It was on the Latest in Paleo podcast:
    Latest in Paleo 97: Perfect*Resistance - Paleo Podcast - Latest in Paleo Podcast - Paleo Diet - Paleo Fitness - Paleo News

Also, if you start out with 4 TBSP immediately, be prepared for some wicked gas. I started out with 1 TBSP, 2x/day, and worked my way up by adding 0.5TBSP to each dose every week or so.
    Last edited by yodiewan; 01-24-2014 at 07:20 AM.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    I had to start with 1/2 tsp morning & evening. I haven't been able to increase the dose yet. I just take it with juice. In the morning, I have a probiotic with it.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Started 3 days ago with 1 tsp in the evening. I will be slowly working up to 4 Tbsp total. 2 before breakfast, 2 before dinner.

This is a good synopsis or RS supplementation uses and guidelines:
    A Resistant Starch Primer For Newbies | Free The Animal

scottts is offline Junior Member
    4 Tbsp in water about an hour before bed. Your sleep will be the most sound you've ever had.

ChoobDriver is offline Member
    Thanks for your replies good people. I shall try it for 1st time this evening in a little water.

Grafter is offline Senior Member
    I usually do it once or or twice a day. Timing is usually in the morning, upon waking or near bedtime. Dosage is from 2 to 4 tablespoons at each time, depending on how whimsy I am at the moment, mixed in some water. But then, I've been taking it for the better part of 4 months (and trying to eliminate cut down on things that could be wrecking havoc with my guts as well).

The primer link that was posted, is a pretty good resource and one should definitely ease into the whole RS/PS thing.
    turquoisepassion - I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    Based on this thread, I've decided to give RS supplementation a try. Picked up a 1 lb bag off Amazon for pretty small amount of money. If it works for me, maybe it'll help the fiance's gut issues.

What's the MoA behind it giving better sleep, though?

M.

scottts is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    Based on this thread, I've decided to give RS supplementation a try. Picked up a 1 lb bag off Amazon for pretty small amount of money. If it works for me, maybe it'll help the fiance's gut issues.

What's the MoA behind it giving better sleep, though?

M.
    I don't know, I've read two possibilities:

1) The gut biome actually manufactures neurotransmitters that improve sleep.

2) The SCFA from the gut digestion of the RS stabilizes blood glucose through the night.

All I know for sure is it really works for me. Sleep has become binary. I go to sleep and I wake up when the sun comes up or the alarm goes off. Very little waking in the night. Good dreams and feel very well rested in the morning.

Hope you experience the same thing.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by scottts View Post
    4 Tbsp in water about an hour before bed. Your sleep will be the most sound you've ever had.
    Or you will wake every 1/2 hour with horrible stomach pain....

Do not start with this dosage all at once.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast