Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: RS, Potato Starch, How to use. page 8

ChoobDriver is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Well it certainly seems the potato starch was the cause of my awful aches and pains in the hip, knees and thighs. Last dose 24 hours ago and aching has almost gone.

Shame as my weightloss had totally flatlined yet since using potato starch for 5 days and without any modification to diet and activity I lost about 1.8lbs.

Whilst this is no way a conclusive scientific study it does convince me RS works.

Must read to find next most potent type of RS that won't cause my joints to ache again.

Antiochia is offline Senior Member
    I have just begun using potato starch (3 days so far) and the results seem to be beneficial (better sleep, weight loss plateau seems to be breaking - we'll see), if this does indeed prove beneficial, I'm wondering if I should suggest this to my husband. I understand that RS works in the colon. He doesn't have a colon - due to Crohn's disease it was removed. He now only has a small intestine that empties through an ostomy into a bag. We are trying to do paleo, with alternating low calorie days, because we both have a weight problem that paleo alone did not seem to help (he should lose about 20 pounds, I should lose at least 50 pounds). Does anyone know if Potato Starch would cause a problem for him?
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    I'd imagine it wouldn't do anything at all :/

M.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Choobdriver Just a thought. How much were you taking and how fast did you go to that dose?

I ramped up to 4 TBSP a little fast and experienced some hives, pretty severe gas pains and yeast infection like response. I backed off by half, and the symptoms went away. I will add more next week.

It may be possible that if you start at a low dose and add slowly, your body won't react in the same way. Not many of us are used to eating raw potato.

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChoobDriver View Post
    Well it certainly seems the potato starch was the cause of my awful aches and pains in the hip, knees and thighs. Last dose 24 hours ago and aching has almost gone.

Shame as my weightloss had totally flatlined yet since using potato starch for 5 days and without any modification to diet and activity I lost about 1.8lbs.

Whilst this is no way a conclusive scientific study it does convince me RS works.

Must read to find next most potent type of RS that won't cause my joints to ache again.
    Try either Hi-Maize corn starch or Banana flour. Not sure if either are easily sourced in UK.

Can you get green plantains? Slice and air dry them.
    Let those who have dyspepsia—and that means a multitude of ills which the American people in their luxurious habits are fast bringing upon themselves—try for a time the potato diet. We have tried it not for months, but a few days at a time—long enough to satisfy us of its good effects. Newspaper article from 1849

Visit my blog: VEGETABLE PHARM

Quote Originally Posted by Antiochia View Post
    I have just begun using potato starch (3 days so far) and the results seem to be beneficial (better sleep, weight loss plateau seems to be breaking - we'll see), if this does indeed prove beneficial, I'm wondering if I should suggest this to my husband. I understand that RS works in the colon. He doesn't have a colon - due to Crohn's disease it was removed. He now only has a small intestine that empties through an ostomy into a bag. We are trying to do paleo, with alternating low calorie days, because we both have a weight problem that paleo alone did not seem to help (he should lose about 20 pounds, I should lose at least 50 pounds). Does anyone know if Potato Starch would cause a problem for him?
    They actually make a suppository form of RS that is used in people who have their rectum diverted. The suppository goes into the dead-end part and it regrows beneficial bacteria where no food passes. Don't know how RS would effect someone with no large intestine. Maybe not recommended, or it would just do nothing. He has absolutely no large intestine or is it just not used? If it's there, maybe check into this treatment used for Diversion Colitis
    Last edited by tatertot; 01-29-2014 at 11:10 AM.
    Let those who have dyspepsia—and that means a multitude of ills which the American people in their luxurious habits are fast bringing upon themselves—try for a time the potato diet. We have tried it not for months, but a few days at a time—long enough to satisfy us of its good effects. Newspaper article from 1849

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Choobdriver Just a thought. How much were you taking and how fast did you go to that dose?

I ramped up to 4 TBSP a little fast and experienced some hives, pretty severe gas pains and yeast infection like response. I backed off by half, and the symptoms went away. I will add more next week.

It may be possible that if you start at a low dose and add slowly, your body won't react in the same way. Not many of us are used to eating raw potato.
    Straight in at 2 doses of 2 tbsp, i'll try again next week taking it very slowly

Quote Originally Posted by ChoobDriver View Post
    Straight in at 2 doses of 2 tbsp, i'll try again next week taking it very slowly
    Choob - Let me know if it causes problems again. PM me, too, in case I miss it here. I want to get to the bottom of what you described, you aren't the first to say it.

This is a 'hack' that effects gut microbes, so many things are gut microbe related. Rheumatoid Arthritis is a gut problem as are most auto-immune conditions. There are two schools of thought here. If you have a problem like you describe, stop taking PS or start taking it in a huge dose. I hate to see people stop taking it, but that seems to be the tendency.

There is a guy on Paul Jaminet's Perfect Health Diet who seems to have cured himself of Ankylosing Spondylitis with tons of starches and better nutrition. The normal advice for people with AS is to eat absolutely NO starch whatsoever.

READ MORE

There's also a lady on free the animal who is also having huge success with potato starch curing her arthritis and AS. If I remember right, she said it caused some pain at first, but now is feeling better than she has in many years.

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    Choob - Let me know if it causes problems again. PM me, too, in case I miss it here. I want to get to the bottom of what you described, you aren't the first to say it.

This is a 'hack' that effects gut microbes, so many things are gut microbe related. Rheumatoid Arthritis is a gut problem as are most auto-immune conditions. There are two schools of thought here. If you have a problem like you describe, stop taking PS or start taking it in a huge dose. I hate to see people stop taking it, but that seems to be the tendency.

There is a guy on Paul Jaminet's Perfect Health Diet who seems to have cured himself of Ankylosing Spondylitis with tons of starches and better nutrition. The normal advice for people with AS is to eat absolutely NO starch whatsoever.

READ MORE

There's also a lady on free the animal who is also having huge success with potato starch curing her arthritis and AS. If I remember right, she said it caused some pain at first, but now is feeling better than she has in many years.
    I'll happily keep you updated, for the record i'll recommence this coming Sunday am with one teaspoon morning and one teaspoon evening.

Antiochia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    ... He has absolutely no large intestine or is it just not used? If it's there, maybe check into this treatment used for Diversion Colitis
    He has absolutely no colon. They also took a foot or two of the small bowel when he last had surgery. He eats a lot of Greek yogurt and thinks it really helps his digestion. I hesitate to suggest supplements for him -- I don't know what they would do. I know he has absorption problems because of the situation and the Crohn's, although he doesn't seem to have problems gaining weight. Thanks for the info though, tatertot!
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast