Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: RS, Potato Starch, How to use. page 16

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryancarter1986 View Post
    Watching a bbc show other day, about cooking then cooking rice , with the bacteria , made me worry abit . I'm going to stop that and just do potatoes.

From London England UK
    I refrigerate or freeze the rice after I cook it.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

kmarie is offline Senior Member
    How long is rice good refrigerated anyway?
    Thx

nettasaura is offline Senior Member
    Me too. I pop the rice in the fridge and then use it for cold cereal! A little milk or cream, some melted butter, cinnamon, and maple syrup or honey. Nom nom nom!

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmarie View Post
    How long is rice good refrigerated anyway?
    Thx
    Well, rice I left out in the open lasted about four days before getting kind of funky. In the fridge I'd guess three times that.

M.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmarie View Post
    I thought I read that parboiled rice is highest in RS (for rice), but now I can't find that info.
    There are 2 things to remember about parboiled:
    - it contains 80% of the nutrients that were removed from normal white rice, and it does not contain the anti-nutrients of whole rice
    - it has a low glycemic index (not that we should care) which may indicate that its RS content is far from negligible.

fatgoose is offline Junior Member
    For the past week I've been doing around 2 tbsp per night of potato starch before bed. My sleep has improved which is huge but the flatulence and bloating makes me question RS.

When I started eating primal the decrease in gas intuitively told me it was good for my body. I'm getting the opposite effect and feeling since trying RS.

Is this a temporary problem until my body adjust? What's your experiences.

nettasaura is offline Senior Member
    I'd like to know the same thing as fatgoose. Ever since hitting 1 tbs, my stomach feels like it's full of frogs all day and I look a bit preggo even though that had initially gone away after starting primal. Is that temporary? Because digestive upset like that has never been an issue for me.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I'm back.

I'm completely off nightshades. Also cornstarch, including hi-maize. Also beans.

I can eat raw sweet potatoes, though I don't normally do it every day.

I'm not sure if I can eat tapioca. I have a yuca root I'm going to boil and serve tomorrow which will clarify that issue.

My go-to substitute for potatoes is malanga coco, which supposedly can be dried and ground into a flour that can substitute for wheat flour (sometimes, I guess). It's supposed to be the most hypoallergenic food in the world. Mashed with heavy cream, omg.

Kimchi is out, unless I make it myself without red pepper.

Suggestions?

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatgoose View Post
    Is this a temporary problem until my body adjust? What's your experiences.
    My experience is that it is temporary. When I started raw PS, I tell you I was in fart hell. it did not help that I took some maltitol sweetened chocolate by accident, and it looked like raw PS mixed up with coconut milk nuked my gut.
    But these nuclear accidents happened a couple of weeks after I started. The first 10 days or so, I only experienced the farting hell. My wife was getting so mad at me for "poisoning" our indoor atmosphere

Anyway, after I nuked my gut, I stopped completely for 2-3 days in order to normalize my poop, etc. Then, I consumed foods high in RS (RS2 like green bananas, and RS3 like stir-fried rice and cooled potatoes). I also increased my beans and onion consumption (I love onions but did not eat that much of them for a while, for some unknown reason). So anyway, I ramped up foods "rich" in RS. Then I resumed raw PS sup mixed in water only early in morning and before bedtime. I experienced no bloating at all. I continued to eat RS rich foods and continued on raw PS sup (sometimes 2 x 3 or 4Tbsp / day) with no problem at all.

Throughout all this, I never stopped eating yogurt (I am a big fan of sheep milk based yogurt).

Lately, I ate stuff rich in inulin, oligofructose, and even the dreaded maltitol -> no problem.

So I would say that it takes a long period of adjustment with breaks here and then. I also suspect it takes a few nuclear episodes to eject the bad stuff ...
    Last edited by FrenchFry; 02-05-2014 at 03:20 AM.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    ^^I would suggest reducing the potato starch a bit if you are JUST starting. Looking pregnant says to me that it's too much.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast