Thread: crispy asparagus soldiers with soft boiled eggs page

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member

Wink crispy asparagus soldiers with soft boiled eggs

Shop Now
    This is directly from Jamie Oliver at Home: Cook Your Way to the Good Life, page 20-21.

He uses pancetta, but bacon will do just fine!

Great party or appetizer recipe, and great for kids.

Need:
    12 medium asparagus stalks, woody ends removed
    12 slices of thin cut pancetta or bacon
    olive oil
    eggs (however many you need for dippin)
    sea salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 425 F. Wrap your asparagus stalks in the pancetta (or bacon) with the tips poking out, and place in a roasting pan or earthenware dish. Drizzle with a little olive oil (or butter, coconut oil, ghee) and roast in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, until the meat is crispy.

While the asparagus is cooking, you can get on with soft boiling your eggs. Carefully place them into lightly salted water for 5 minutes, then drain, cut off the lids and put them in egg cups for individual servings, or into an egg carton if serving as nibbles at a party (or if you're primal and you feel just fine with eating lots of eggs yourself!!) Serve with a good pinch of salt and pepper.

Robeil is offline Senior Member
    Yummy that looks good!!!

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Asparagus soldiers have been my favourite for YEARS! I don't bother wrapping them in pancetta - just smear in olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and parmesan and bake for about 10 minutes. Yum! There is a place near where I live where you can do pick your own and we have pounds of the stuff.