Thread: IF-curious and on meds taken with food page

waxleaves is offline Member

IF-curious and on meds taken with food

Primal Fuel
    Reading about intermittent fasting, I'm kind of interested in possibly incorporating it into my routine in the future. However, I take lithium (900mg daily) that absolutely must be taken with lots of food. I either take the full dose after a large meal or split it into 2 or 3 doses with smaller meals. Otherwise, I'm doubled over in pain.

Any thoughts about how this could work with fasting for a day?

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    It doesn't sound like would have a problem if you at once or twice a day split you dose up accordingly. Most of us aren't IFing for much longer than 24 hours anyway.

Oh--in that case, what would my fast be? A day of two meals? Smaller ones? Or a one-large-meal day?

ommmmaggie is offline Senior Member
    You could do a 24-hour fast by eating dinner and then not eating until dinnertime the next night.

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o
    Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    If you're doing a daily 24 hour fast (also known as the warrior. ((their is warrior diet plan as well, but it's not exactly a primal one))) is just eating once a day. Usually if you're only eating once it would be dinner, but you can pick you meal of course. Eating twice a day in a five hour window is recommended by the fast five diet http://www.fast-5.com/ which doesn't really have a diet associated with it and their e-book explaining it is free.
    Martin Berkham of leangains.com also recommends a 16 hour daily fast with two or three meals in the remaining either hours and he's a natural body builder and coach. Martin isn't all that primal though and doesn't think all that much of all thing primal.

Personally what I do is eat once or twice in the evenings depending on how my schedule works out and what I have going on that night.

Good call! Thanks for the replies--I'm sure the meds won't be a problem if I have a full meal in the evening.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Okay, one more question, while I'm here--how do you overcome the nausea? (If I'm not alone in it, that is.) I can't imagine getting through a work day feeling as nauseous as I feel when I don't eat.