Thread: got my lab results back page

MikkiB is offline Senior Member

got my lab results back

Primal Fuel
    After 5 months gluten-free and 2 months primal (has it really only been that long??)

Thyroid: (I'm on 75 mic levoxyl and 15 mic generic cytomel)
    TSH 0.61 (perfect)
    Free T4 - 0.9 (low normal)
    Free T3 - 4.1 (high normal)

Cholesterol
    Total - 236. In January it was 286, doc prescribed statins, I took them for 2 months and total went down to 225 but I stopped taking the statins after doing more research on them. So I've been statin-free for 3 months and 236 is about as low as it's been since I was about 20.
    HDL- 48 (low normal)
    ratio - 4.9 (high)
    LDL - 171
    triglycerides - 85 (MUCH lower than January, I'll have to look up my old labs when I get home)

Fasting glucose - 83 - the lowest measurement since they started tracking it 5 yrs ago, usually it hovers right around 100
    Creatinine - 0.89 - also the lowest it's been in a while

CRP - 9.8. Still extremely high, but in March it was 12.5 so moving in the right direction.

My dr appointment is Monday (I had his office fax me the results in advance because I'm impatient!). he doesn't know that I haven't been taking my statins, so it's nice to see everything moving in the right direction from the dietary changes I'm going to ask him to order a VAT and maybe insulin resistance test (although with a glucose of 83 maybe that's not necessary).

I'm still unhappy with my CRP, though Maybe I need to up my B6 again?

comments? I'm not sure I have enough info to run Griff's algorithm, I'm going to look at it more when I get home from work.

OK, I lied... couldn't wait until I get home to process my cholesterol results

If I did it right-
    Iranian LDL = 199.4 (still bad)
    Total/HDL ratio= 4.9 (still high)
    but
    Trig/HDL ratio = 1.77 (<2 is ideal)
    LDL/HDL ratio = 4.15 (in ideal range)

so, good news and bad news? I'm not sure quite how to interpret this - that I still have too many small/dense particles?

Lolly is offline Member
    i would also ask for a rheumatoid panel to make sure the elevated crp is not due to an autoimmune disease or some other form of inflammation.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikkiB View Post
    OK, I lied... couldn't wait until I get home to process my cholesterol results

If I did it right-
    Iranian LDL = 199.4 (still bad)
    Total/HDL ratio= 4.9 (still high)
    but
    Trig/HDL ratio = 1.77 (<2 is ideal)
    LDL/HDL ratio = 4.15 (in ideal range)

so, good news and bad news? I'm not sure quite how to interpret this - that I still have too many small/dense particles?
    No, your Iranian number would be 161.4, not 199.4. (I have a spreadsheet that I plug the numbers into here at home to get quickie ratios.)

Your ratios right now:

Total/HDL = 4.9 (a little high)
    Trig/HDL = 1.8 (good)
    LDL/HDL = 3.4 (good)

That's using the Iranian LDL numbers. The Friedewald is inaccurate because your trigs are under 100, so go with the Iranian LDL calculation.

About the LDL size: the ratio of your trigs to your HDL will indicate whether your LDL is small and dense (bad - Pattern B) or large and fluffy (neutral - Pattern A). A larger number indicates smaller LDL particles and a smaller number indicates larger LDL particles. It's an inverse relationship. You've got a pretty good Trig/HDL ratio right now. But I'd still demand a VAP test to get direct particle measurement both for number and size of LDL particles.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Thanks, Griff!! The biggest surprise for me was the low HDL. In March it was 63, now it is 48. triglycerides were 135 so I had a nice drop, probably due to the fish oil and vit D supplements. I don't know why the 'good cholesterol' would go down on PB (I keep my carbs under 30g and protein around 90g, and get the bulk of my fat from meat, coconut oil, ghee, and eggs). I will have to ponder that

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Our cholesterol is not in as much dietary control as we imagine. For example, I've always had a high HDL, even when I ate the SAD--to excess!

My VAP test showed that my LDL is 100% Pattern A (large, fluffy), but doctors still get upset that it's about 134! So I ignore them.

My endo (who ordered the VAP) tells me that LDL is almost always Pattern A when the HDL is high and the trigs are low. My HDL runs 85-100, and my trigs are usually <60.

By the way, even though I have severe osteoarthritis and autoimmune thyroiditis (two inflammatory conditions), my CRP is 0.9.

I mention these numbers because I suspect that they're all interrelated--i.e., my high HDL is an indicator of generally good 'heart' numbers.

PrimalCon New York
    Re rheumatoid panel -
    Yeah, we started thinking about that at my March visit - RA or lupus - but you'd think I'd know it if I had either of those, huh? I feel FINE. People with lupus and RA suffer horribly!
    Last edited by MikkiB; 06-16-2010 at 04:47 PM. Reason: forgot the quote