Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No link between saturated fat and cardiovascular disease page

MikkiB is offline Senior Member

No link between saturated fat and cardiovascular disease

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    another recent article from the Am Journal of Clinical Nutrition showed no association between cardiovascular risk and saturated fat intake. In fact, they managed to show that saturated fat may actually protect against strokes

The pdf is too big but here is the reference -
    Meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies evaluating the association
    of saturated fat with cardiovascular disease15
    Patty W Siri-Tarino, Qi Sun, Frank B Hu, and Ronald M Krauss
    Am J Clin Nutr 2010;91:53546.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    They should tell Mrs. Obama.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I have this bookmarked

I dislike meta-analyses though because I have no freaking clue how they do them. :/
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

I'm a statistician, and I'm not a fan of meta-analyses -- they are so very easy to do wrong! Basically it's up to the authors to ensure that all of the included studies are measuring the same thing, under "similar enough" conditions, before they combine the data. It's very easy to hide an agenda behind poorly documented methods (biased study selection for instance). A quick look at their methods sections didn't raise any red flags for me, but I may read it more thoroughly while on vacation and I have more time...

I'm inclined to accept their conclusions since it appears that they were looking for an association and were disappointed not to find one, if you get my drift

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Yeah correlation can't be used to imply causation but lack of a consistent correlation can be used to dismiss claims of causation. Hence the reason why the lipid hypothesis was never a tenable belief to begin with.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    I tried finding that on thier website but do you really have to pay to view the articles?

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    I dislike meta-analyses though because I have no freaking clue how they do them. :/
    The method in a meta-analysis is normally to look at different studies and say "Okay, so in study 1 they measured variable X, which is substantially the same as variable Z in study 2," and so on - so they create a new data set where the variables that are substantially similar to variable X are all renamed "Variable X." But they also do cross-comparisons of the studies where they determine that in study 1, there was an extra variable that wasn't accounted for in studies 2, 3, and 4, and they examine that variable to see if it makes any difference or if study 1 was just a fluke.

Meta-analysis can be time-consuming and confusing, but it serves as a valuable cross-check on studies that contradict one another.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

I tried finding that on thier website but do you really have to pay to view the articles?
    sorry, I have institutional access since I work at a university ... IM me your e-mail address and I will send it to you...
    Last edited by MikkiB; 06-16-2010 at 04:50 PM. Reason: quote

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    I think this is the paper you are talking about:

Siri-Tarino, Sun Q, Hu F B, Krauss, R M. "Meta-Analysis of prospective cohort studies evaluating the association of saturated fat with cardiovascular disease", American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2010, vol. 91, pp535-546

It was mentioned in a scientific American article linked to before in this thread

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ghlight=krauss

I read it and wrote up some notes about it. My post is is the last one in the thread. It is a very good meta-analysis and I would call it a textbook example. Stabby, if you want to learn about meta-analysis then I strongly recommend you read this paper because it is very easy to follow.

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    Hu does good work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast