Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you guys feel about miso? page

Eureka5280 is online now Senior Member

How do you guys feel about miso?

Primal Fuel
    Obviously not primal since it's made from soybeans, but does the fermentation process make it ok to eat?

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Fermented soy like miso and soy sauce doesn't contain estrogens. I eat a lot of soy sauce because it tastes better than salt.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Mark address fermented soy briefly in this post:
    Are Cashews Primal or Paleo? | Mark's Daily Apple

I usually avoid soy, but I did buy some miso once to make miso soup. It's certainly tasty. Just make sure it's gluten free; I think some varieties, like soy sauce, are fermented with wheat.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I'm ok with Miso. It's one of my borderline foods.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    It's fermented, yes, but don't think that any of the probiotics have been left in it since it has been cooked to death.

Same usually goes for natto.

Natto is ok from time-to-time to get some vitamin k-2, but soy, even fermented, is never a staple in my diet.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

MsSmith is offline Senior Member
    We avoid all products containing soy grown in the USA which is genetically modified, patented by Monsanto.
    Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
    Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
    Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
    Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
    CW: 158 GW: 130 CBF%: 24.38
    48 - 5'7.5"

"What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't happened yet." ~ A.F.

"Exercising should be about rewarding the body with endorphins and strength, not about punishing your body for what you've eaten." ~ Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Fermented soy like miso and soy sauce doesn't contain estrogens. I eat a lot of soy sauce because it tastes better than salt.
    It has less, but it still has some:

Transformation of isoflavone phytoestrogens d... [Food Microbiol. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI

Furthermore, it seems fermenting soy INCREASES the activity of the compounds that make soy such a powerful goitrogen.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MsSmith View Post
    We avoid all products containing soy grown in the USA which is genetically modified, patented by Monsanto.
    Yes, the moral/Monsanto thing is a bigger reason to avoid soy for me.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

iliketoeat2013 is offline Junior Member
    well if people are afraid of gmo soy, you can get organic/non-gmo verified.

miso is probiotic which refers to positive bacteria for digestive health. there are good and bad bacterias in the gut so good ones are desirable to balance things. same with yogurt.

Quote Originally Posted by iliketoeat2013 View Post
    well if people are afraid of gmo soy, you can get organic/non-gmo verified.

miso is probiotic which refers to positive bacteria for digestive health. there are good and bad bacterias in the gut so good ones are desirable to balance things. same with yogurt.
    Wrong. Miso is almost NEVER served raw. All of the good bacteria would be cooked out of it in minutes. Miso SOUP anyone?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast