Thread: IF with workouts page

Nick "the Caveman" M. is offline Senior Member

IF with workouts

Shop Now
    A little bit ago I had asked the question of what people do with working out in the morning...whether they fast pre and post etc because getting over my heavily embedded bias of eating before and after has been difficult for me, but have been looking for something to change up a little bit since I have felt that I've plateaued a bit.

Over the past couple of weeks, I've been trying each scenario (not eating post, not eating pre and post, and just recently not eating pre). I had a hard time doing the not eating pre and post....I was ravenous by the time I ended fasting and was not a very nice person leading up to that in between the workout and eating. Not eating post workout was ok, but again just didn't love how hungry I felt post workout.

Today I didn't eat pre workout....I actually felt great and had a great workout. Just sharing my experience out there for anyone else who has been contemplating it and wondering about IF in conjunction with workouts. I'm going to try and not eat pre workout going forward, so I'll see how it goes....

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Not eating post workout (within one hour at least) is pointless. If you want to gain muscle and strength you should eat afterwards.
    ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    After 3.5 months like this, I always prefer working out on an empty stomach, except if I'm playing sports I want a banana or something first, not much though. I am just now discovering the bennies of protein post-workout, in conjunction with upping my protein in general.

JeanPatrick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    Not eating post workout (within one hour at least) is pointless. If you want to gain muscle and strength you should eat afterwards.
    I argued against eating right away after a workout on my blog today.

I think the whole ''eat quickly after a workout to gain muscle'' is an over simplification of the processes that actually happen after a workout.
    Living the hard way has never been so easy!
    My paleo website : www.primaljournal.com

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeanPatrick View Post
    I argued against eating right away after a workout on my blog today.

I think the whole ''eat quickly after a workout to gain muscle'' is an over simplification of the processes that actually happen after a workout.
    "I still suggest waiting at least 45 minutes before eating."

I did say within an hour, not 2 minutes. And I'm not suggesting that one should drink whey protein either.
    ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I, for one, do my workouts during the day and my eating during the evening. I just make damned sure that I get enough protein when I do.

Alexb is offline Banned
    You should really eat no later than an hour after your workout. I train in the fasted state then make my PWO meal my main meal of the day and just pound the calories for about 2 or 3 hrs after my workout.

Best of both worlds IMO.

JeanPatrick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    "I still suggest waiting at least 45 minutes before eating."

I did say within an hour, not 2 minutes. And I'm not suggesting that one should drink whey protein either.
    That is the strict minimum for me. I would argue about eating an hour, an hour and a half later.

My results have been better than way. There is a reason for that. After a workout, your hormones (growth hormones as well as cortisol) are high. Its not a good time to eat.
    Last edited by JeanPatrick; 06-16-2010 at 01:09 PM.
    Living the hard way has never been so easy!
    My paleo website : www.primaljournal.com