Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bikram yoga, thoughts? page

Bostonbully is offline Senior Member

Bikram yoga, thoughts?

Shop Now
    So right now I do my weekly tabata sprints, and two days a week I either go to the gym or do body weight exercises at home. I would like to start doing Bikram yoga two days a week. I have done regular yoga and I sweat my but off. Also alot of the poses are very difficult to hold so my muscles are really involved. I've read for an hour of Bikram a male can burn 600-700 calories an hour. Any thoughts or opinions?

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I do yoga 1-2x a week and love it... although i don't use it for weight loss... it builds a different type of strength, flexibility, etc... it's only good stuff. My vote is yes... do it

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonbully View Post
    So right now I do my weekly tabata sprints, and two days a week I either go to the gym or do body weight exercises at home. I would like to start doing Bikram yoga two days a week. I have done regular yoga and I sweat my but off. Also alot of the poses are very difficult to hold so my muscles are really involved. I've read for an hour of Bikram a male can burn 600-700 calories an hour. Any thoughts or opinions?
    I work at a Moksha studio and do hour or 90-minute classes anywhere from three to five times a week. I can't say enough about hot yoga. It's excellent. I know some people on this forum worry about the stress response the heat activates, and the release of cortisol, but all I can say is that I'm noticeably slimmer when I go to hot yoga regularly, and I notice the difference in the rest of my training as well.

I'm not a huge fan of Bikram because of the rigid scripted nature of it, but a lot of people really like that about it.

I'm going to a class tonight so see if I truely like it. I'm guessing I will though. I'll probably lose a good amount of weight from it as well.

At one point I was going to do crossfit to increase my exercise. I liked it alot but it just seemed to be the deffinition of cronic cardio which is a PB no no.

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I love yoga and wouldn't give it up for anything. I've never done hot yoga before as there's no studio nearby that offers it, but I love heat and a good sweat. I would definitely like to give it a try some day and I implore you do the same! Let us know how it goes.
    Last edited by Funkadelic Flash; 06-18-2010 at 09:34 AM.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    I've done yoga on and off for about 10 years and I've tried many different styles. I think Bikram yoga is the most challenging due to the combination of the heat and the intensity of the workout itself. Be prepared to sweat more than you ever have in your life. Make sure to drink a lot of water before, during and after.

My issue with Bikram is the same one that was brought up by heatseeker; a lot of the instructors are militant and close-minded. The workout is great though if you can handle it.
    Last edited by Al_Kavadlo; 06-16-2010 at 09:35 AM.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

I am IF right now so I need to get my ass home after work to eat. Their website says don't eat two hours before class which is at 7 pm. They say to bring a beach towel and a hand towel. I am assuming the beach towel is to put over your mat to absorb the sweat lol.

JeanPatrick is offline Senior Member
    I say try it out once a week and see if you like it.
    Living the hard way has never been so easy!
    My paleo website : www.primaljournal.com

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    You will absolutely need a towel on top of your mat, or you'll go sliding all over the place. You will sweat more than you thought was possible. But don't worry about an extra towel for wiping away sweat. You should just let the sweat pour; wiping it away is counterproductive, and also you'll be so focused on your poses that you won't care.

I've done class during an IF and it's no problem at all. In fact, it's highly preferable to doing class with any food in my stomach or intestinal system. My rule is that I don't eat anything within four hours of class. The only time I fudged this rule was when I did two classes back-to-back, and I had a bottle of coconut water, a square of dark chocolate, and a handful of almonds in between. Generally, though, any food before class, even within a couple hours, makes me nauseous and crampy.

Be sure to drink lots and lots of water. You should have 2-3 liters a day if you're doing a class, and I usually have another liter while in class.

Have fun! Hot yoga is an exercise in endurance and focus.

Darrin is offline Senior Member
    Ah... bikram yoga.

Not Primal in any way, shape, or form, but definitely a personal fave of mine. I used to do one session every weekend and always felt like a million bucks afterwards.
    Lean, Mean, Virile Machine
    The Modern Man's Guide to Health, Fitness, and Wellness

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast