Thread: Struggling to understand D3 and Omega 3s page

dacec is offline Senior Member

Struggling to understand D3 and Omega 3s

Primal Fuel
    I live in So Cal and I swim 3 x per week from 8:30-9:30.....I often linger in the sun afterwards chatting with friends (in bikini...so lots of skin exposed), so I think I am good on my vit D those days. The other days (unless I plan to be out in the sun for a while) I take Carlson's Solar Gems which have 4000IU D and 115mg Omega 3.

My diet consists off eggs, bacon, kefir, veggies, blueberries, big salads with ground beef or chicken, roasted/grilled meats (beef/ pork/ chicken - mostly commercial due to financial restrictions, but working toward pastured) roasted assorted veg,occasional assorted nuts and the occasional square of dark chocolate.

Is the amount of Omega 3 enough? Should I supplement with another fish oil? What about the days that I am in the sun and not taking the D/omega 3 sup?

JeanPatrick is offline Senior Member
    If your meat is commercial, in my opinion, you should be taking in a bit more fish oil. Commercial meats have weird Omega 6 : omega 3 ratios. (sometime up to 20:1). The best thing you could do would be eating more wild caught fish.
    Living the hard way has never been so easy!
    My paleo website : www.primaljournal.com

dacec is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JeanPatrick View Post
    If your meat is commercial, in my opinion, you should be taking in a bit more fish oil. Commercial meats have weird Omega 6 : omega 3 ratios. (sometime up to 20:1). The best thing you could do would be eating more wild caught fish.
    Eating more fish and more pastured meats is in the cards, but right now the budget is really tight .

Can you recommend a fish oil or how much more I should take?