Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: men vs women page 2

Tarlach is offline Member

Primal Fuel

I don't know why dairy stalls weight loss. I know a few people who have tried high fat diets to lose weight and the introduction of dairy often seems to stall weight loss.

I don't consume any dairy and I'm certainly not going to experiment with it, but if you are stalled then it may be worth a try.

Grok didn't eat dairy and we shouldn't either. Dairy causes most asthma and there is a good chance that dairy consumption is the cause of MS.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Daughter of Grok Guest

Yea, I have been doing some reading about dairy and have found that many of my health issues are a side effect of dairy, which is pretty exciting to me to have found that the answer to multiple problems I have stems from dairy. Now that I know the cause all I have to do is eliminate it.

twisteddoc Guest

Tarlach -- thank you. I'll make a free dairy trial to see if weight loss is faster and if that's my case, I'll have to find something to eat frozen blueberries with!

I know about dairy and MS, but the issue is far from clear. For example, cheese consumption is not associated with MS while milk and cream are. Some people suggest that the connection is to high lactose consumption. The one single factor more related to MS is lack of vitamin D, specially low sun exposure during childhood (which BTW was my case -- my mother passed her sun phobia on me).

BTW - I went dairy free for two years and my allergies stayed the same until I went low carb. Then I started on dairy again and remained allergy free until I upped carb consumption.

Tarlach is offline Member

Butyrophilin (milk protein) resembles Myelin Oligodendrocyte Glycoprotein (MOG) - the protein sheath that covers nerves and brain cells.

Butyrophilin plus an adjuvant may mean that T cells attacks this protein sheath, which would result in MS.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

twisteddoc Guest

BSA (bovine milk protein) does the same, and so do several lectins from grains and legumes. It could even be WGA from wheat, or a tomato lectin, the necessary adjuvant.

To provoke an immune reaction, peptides must cross the gut barrier and oral tolerance must be abrogated. Bacterial infections, or antigen exposure in the first years of life inhibit tolerance. I think oral tolerance can be developed. Glatiramer acetate is Big Pharma's way, and it works "partially". Taking care of leaky gut with good bacteria, glucosamine to maintain the gut's linen integrity, avoiding sugar and also gluten and in some cases milk, is another way to do it.

Whatever anyone's take on the dairy issue - i think treating leaky gut is the first step. Failing to do so leaves you at mercy of becoming intolerant to any protein that enters your digestive system, and there are many other proteins similar to myelin or which exhibit cross reaction to any other protein in the body -insert favorite autoimmune disease-.

twisteddoc Guest

LOL, I just realised I sound like a dairy advocate... And I DO like milk, but I totally agree with Mark: as long as it is in the form of good quality organic products, in moderation and of course IF and only IF your body tolerates it.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Dairy is my #1 love and always has been. Its the only thing stopping me from being totally primal. I think I will try to cut out the dairy soon, but right now... I dont think I could take it. I get great raw jersey milk (1gal/week) and make yogurt out of it and such. I think maybe I'll try to drop down to 1/2gal/week, and see how that goes. Baby steps, right? Its like saying goodbye to an old friend, as cheesy as that sounds. AND now I just realized the "cheesy" pun too. Help me.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

lekressin Guest

Tell me about it! I love milk way too much. When I'm not eating sugar from carbs a big cup of whole milk tastes like the best vanilla ice cream in the world!

twisteddoc Guest

I can't stand milk. But I LOVE cheese. Any kind. I live in Spain and have family in Italy... So there's good quality and CHEAP cheese everywhere for me. Parmigiano reggiano, manchego, mascarpone... I could live on cheese and broccoli.

I really used to be ADDICTED to de damned thing. That is, before going paleo. It didn't surprise me when I read that opiates hide inside caseine... So the cheese addiction is a bit more than metaphorical...

marci Guest

my ND (a paleo proponant) is trying to get me to drop all dairy (unsuccessfully so far- but I don't even eat that much! and it's always raw and/or local, goat or sheep's milk etc) as she says it inhibits weight loss. Thing is, I went dairy free a few summers ago & it made no difference (other than making me sad). I'm with Lekressin & 62Shelby- doing the best I can on the PB without losing any fat or gaining any muscle. It's so frustrating!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast