Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes you fat? This will be an interesting study

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Yes it will be quite interesting to see what actually happens. Many people on this Forum have put forth a lot of theories on macros. It will be fascinating to see the results.
    Yes I was thinking that same.

Anyway a sample size of 16 is very small.

What if : What makes YOU fat, may be different to what makes ME fat.

My guess of the outcome ( if stage 2 is done for say more than a month)
    is a spread of results - some will lose weight (at least several pounds), some will gain weight ( at least several pounds) and some stay much that same.

This is assuming they eat all the provided food to meet their set maintenance caloric budget - even if the stage 2 keto diet reduces their appetite - they have to eat the set calories - no less, no more.

The weight gain could be fat, muscle or retained water.

I like a bet each way :-)
    Last edited by EatMoveSleep; 08-27-2013 at 05:59 PM. Reason: lose weight - not loose weight :o

Quote Originally Posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
    Yes I was thinking that same.

What if : What makes YOU fat, may be different to what makes ME fat.

My guess of the outcome ( if stage 2 is done for say more than a month)
    is a spread of results - some will loose weight (at least several pounds), some will gain weight ( at least several pounds) and some stay much that same.

This is assuming they eat all the provided food to meet their set maintenance caloric budget - even if the stage keto diet reduces their appetite - they have to eat the set calories - no less, no more.

The weight gain could be fat, muscle or retained water.

I like a bet each way :-)
    Good points. Keep in mind this is the first of what will undoubtedly be many studies as the organization gains more financing. I am sure there will be many questions raised as a result of the study, leading to more research and funding going forward. I for one am excited NuSI is committed to the research, I believe it is long overdue for an independent organization, one not tied to corporate funding, initiated this type of research.

I cannot wait until this study is complete! I want to see all those calorie counters CRY!

Quote Originally Posted by GiGiEats View Post
    I cannot wait until this study is complete! I want to see all those calorie counters CRY!
    What's it like eating as much as you want without consequence?
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    What's it like eating as much as you want without consequence?
    Lol!
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

The results of this study will not matter if it goes against your beliefs. "When your deepest convictions are challenged by contradictory evidence, your beliefs get stronger."

http://youarenotsosmart.com/2011/06/10/the-backfire-effect/

Therefore, either side of the CICO will lose and win regardless of the results. I know what works for me and many people I know, and I don't need a study of other fat people to tell me that. Clearly there are others in this forum that have had benefits from other methods.

Meaningless results, then. They might end up with an inordinate number of hyperthermic people in one group.

But, aside from that - the high-carb group will be HUNGRY, even if they all weigh the same.
    The remainder is an unjustifiable, egotistical power struggle
    At the expense of the American dream, American dream
    Of the American

We don`t give a damn about your world
    With all your global profits
    And all your jeweled pearls
    We don`t give a damn about your world
    Right now, right now!

Quote Originally Posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
    Not really, it depends upon how many factors you're considering and what the desired margin of error is. If you're only looking at one factor and you're not needing a high level of certaintly, 16 is perfectly adequate.

It's also worth realizing that this is a preliminary study, whether the article admits it or not, you're not going to be able to settle things based upon this study. But, it would potentially demonstrate that there's a need for more study in the future.

As far as what you're talking about, I do agree with your implication there. I'm not going to be changing my dietary habits based upon what 1 preliminary study done over a short period of time. The period of time being a larger concern than the sample size.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Meaningless results, then. They might end up with an inordinate number of hyperthermic people in one group.

But, aside from that - the high-carb group will be HUNGRY, even if they all weigh the same.
    Ok interesting prediction.

It would be true for me - I get a bigger appetite with higher carbs (good for building muscle when lifting heavy - comes with some fat ).

It's a balance for me to stay happy and in shape.

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Good points. Keep in mind this is the first of what will undoubtedly be many studies as the organization gains more financing. I am sure there will be many questions raised as a result of the study, leading to more research and funding going forward. I for one am excited NuSI is committed to the research, I believe it is long overdue for an independent organization, one not tied to corporate funding, initiated this type of research.
    Yes I too think the results will be interesting.

I don't any 'emotional investment' on the outcome (I think ) - I'm interested in the results even if they go against my current 'beliefs'.

Even if most lose weight - it doesn't mean all of them will enjoy eating/living that way in real life (is it sustainable for each individual??).

I think this study is worth the effort.

Thanks for another interesting thread.