Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 166

Thread: What makes you fat? This will be an interesting study

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,480
    Shop Now
    It really does not test the hormone hypothesis though... The vast majority of the hormone hypothesis effects happen between the conception of the maternal grandmother and age five. However this study comes out, it is 16 people, testing the least effective timepoint in their lives, with an intervention which, as someone else has alluded to, very rarely works in the real world. So... *shrug*.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    5,649
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Calories will be the same (the presumed amount to maintain the current weight of the obese subjects) but different macros. Will the low carb group lose weight? What do you think?

    Here is the Scientific America article about the research - What Makes You Fat: Too Many Calories, or the Wrong Carbohydrates?: Scientific American
    I predict that they will gain some more fat on their bodies and lose a bit muscle, due to the lower thermogenic effect of dietary fat. Wether they gain or lose weight on the scale is irrelevant if their body stores more energy = fat...
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

    - Schopenhauer

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    So this is NuSci's first experiment? Figures. The weights between the groups should be relatively the same, but I've been in the low carb community for a while now, so I know if the low carb group weighs even five grams less on average they'll proclaim it as a victory.

    Waste of funding.
    You think body comp i.e. weight will remain unchanged provided the calories stay the same?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Concord, CA
    Posts
    1,477
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    So this is NuSci's first experiment? Figures. The weights between the groups should be relatively the same, but I've been in the low carb community for a while now, so I know if the low carb group weighs even five grams less on average they'll proclaim it as a victory.

    Waste of funding.
    It will be the exact same group of 16. The first stage will be the conventional diet. Then they will switch to stage two using the high fat diet. Both stages will have the same caloric intake over the same time period. Personally I think it will be quite interesting and not a waste of funding.
    Last edited by canuck416; 08-26-2013 at 10:46 AM.

  5. #15
    Timthetaco's Avatar
    Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by slowcooker View Post
    You think body comp i.e. weight will remain unchanged provided the calories stay the same?
    I think they'll weigh a little less in the ketogenic period (didn't see it was a crossover, my bad) due to glycogen depletion, but yes.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,480
    All it takes is one or two to RANDOMLY respond very well to a particular diet intervention and Ta-Da, VICTORY!!!!! But in reality no universal claims can be made from 18 people. Now if they were trying to select them better- 18 people with THIS hormone and weight history profile have this reaction... That would be at least a step in the right direction.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    I think they'll weigh a little less in the ketogenic period (didn't see it was a crossover, my bad) due to glycogen depletion, but yes.
    I'll bet they rip through body fat in short order.. especially when on a low calorie high fat diet. Low calorie in that it will be meeting the caloric numbers that they stayed even with on a high carb diet..

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    All it takes is one or two to RANDOMLY respond very well to a particular diet intervention and Ta-Da, VICTORY!!!!! But in reality no universal claims can be made from 18 people. Now if they were trying to select them better- 18 people with THIS hormone and weight history profile have this reaction... That would be at least a step in the right direction.
    Yup.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Concord, CA
    Posts
    1,477
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    All it takes is one or two to RANDOMLY respond very well to a particular diet intervention and Ta-Da, VICTORY!!!!! But in reality no universal claims can be made from 18 people. Now if they were trying to select them better- 18 people with THIS hormone and weight history profile have this reaction... That would be at least a step in the right direction.
    Perhaps, however if all or most participants lose weight or remain unchanged it will be interesting and probably lead to further research.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Concord, CA
    Posts
    1,477
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    I predict that they will gain some more fat on their bodies and lose a bit muscle, due to the lower thermogenic effect of dietary fat. Wether they gain or lose weight on the scale is irrelevant if their body stores more energy = fat...
    Yes it will be quite interesting to see what actually happens. Many people on this Forum have put forth a lot of theories on macros. It will be fascinating to see the results.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •