Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Unexpected sources of wheat... Makes me frustrated!

Shop Now
    Seriously, it's shocking the completely random crap some processing plants process.
    I know they had a dog food recall because of melamine contamination (Chinese manufacturing). I wish they had to label where things were manufactured.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

This is a good source if you want to check the gluten-free status of over-the-counter stuff, like cough drops and cold medicine:

http://glutenfreedrugs.com/Walgreensgflist.pdf

I have celiac and I use it as a reference frequently. Ricola is my cough drop of choice, and all their flavors are gluten free.

Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    buy a horehound plant

mash it up with honey and beeswax

laugh at the stupid people who dont know what you know
    I avoid as much as possible anything that has a list of ingredients on it.

...and get that throat looked at by a doctor! Maybe your sore throat is is due to the wheat in the cough drops.

Lady D: nope, they're the hard kind you suck on.

And it's not like they may have traces of wheat in them because they were made in a processing plant that also does wheat products, no; there is actually a wheat-derived ingredient in it.

I did get my throat looked at and there's not much they can do about it apparently... Long story, but I might get a 2nd opinion. One of the health issues I was hoping going Primal would solve... Maybe it still will, it's only been 6 weeks.

Thanks for the tips guys

If you are celiac or something you just have to learn to be extremely vigilant. If you are not, then a mistake like that isn't the end of the world. I'm pretty sure some of the dishes I tried at a potluck last night had some flour in them. It's not going to kill me, but I did notice that my gluten-free friend did not eat any of the potluck last night, so that's probably how she ensures she doesn't make a mistake.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

I felt the same way when I found out that my "Tuna in Water" actually had soy in it. Pissed to the point that I haven't bought any tuna (except one can of skipjack that I didn't like) since last summer.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    Why be so arrogant ? When people don't know something, it does not make them stupid, they simply don't have the knowledge. Do you know anything about the quark-gluon plasma created for 10^-23 sec in ultra-relativistic heavy ion collisions ? No ? Do you feel stupid ?
    I know it was fairly expensive, didn't last long, and created more questions than it answered, which is good science. I also know that if they keep on they will create a totally new universe which will start the process all over again

but to be serious completing a study of this energy will probably be the foundation of a 5th force as the weak and strong nuclear forces dont seem to cover what was found down there.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    I avoid as much as possible anything that has a list of ingredients on it.

...and get that throat looked at by a doctor! Maybe your sore throat is is due to the wheat in the cough drops.
    my arrogant assumption is that if i didnt make it it will probably compromise my health
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    my arrogant assumption is that if i didnt make it it will probably compromise my health
    Not arrogant at all; more like sensibele, normal, perhaps even boring and unremarkable.... or should be.

Learn More
    Quote Originally Posted by Aingealag View Post
    I did get my throat looked at and there's not much they can do about it apparently... Long story, but I might get a 2nd opinion. One of the health issues I was hoping going Primal would solve... Maybe it still will, it's only been 6 weeks.
    Do you always breathe through your nose? You probably won't believe anyone could be so dumb but right to my early 20's I used to mainly breathe through my mouth, especially at night and asleep, and had constant sore throats - an old Indian dude who was into yoga & pranayama told me to breathe through my nose all the time, unless I had a cold or whatever, and it cleared my constant sore throat up in about a month. You're probably smarter than I was but thought I'd throw it in!