Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Ray Peat Eating Plan Weight Loss?

Shop Now
    As much fun as it is to be a contrarion, sometimes you can throw out the baby with the bathwater. I think the kea is figuring out the happy medium that works for you. I feel pretty confident that lots of milk, oj and low iron (plus a bunch of sugar) would not work for me but that doesn't mean that their might not be some suggestions that would be useful.

But then, I'm not doing a ketogenic diet ir anything. Primal is working ok for me now and what I like best is the simplicity and the freedom to eat most whole foods.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I found Peat through Danny Roddy, then from there I spent about a week reading his articles and emailing him. I initially debated his views on here a lot more, as well as other forums with orthodox views of nutrition because posting on the Peat discussion boards wasn't as fun since everyone is in agreement. I find I personally learn a lot more when arguing against people with different mindsets.

I feel like I've been lied to my whole life. I thought his articles were brilliant, he seemed to be speaking to me in them. He's a true contrarian, and is against the whole authoritarian regime and propaganda. I thought, if he felt the same way as I do about these things, he must be on to something -- so, I went all out right away and have seen nothing but improvements in health across the board. Sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith, but keep it responsible at the same time.

I may seem like an asshole, but I've helped numerous people on these forums via PM and other outlets, and most of them have actually reported back to me that they feel better already. It's a nice feeling, helping others.

Take this however you like, but something I have noticed is many people with formal education in this area just can't swallow Peat's concepts. His biggest proponents seem to be the self learned individuals. Perhaps having certain theories and in particular certain things understood as truth drilled into my head for several years has created a mindset that is impossible to penetrate even if his ideas are truly brilliant. So someone with less formal education, but the aptitude to learn can accept what he has to offer. Either that, or he really is off his rocker .

I feel like I've had this same discussion before, only Ray Peat is replaced with Ron Paul, lol. People say, "wow, those ideas are so out there, I really can't see how they can work. They go against everything I've ever been taught!"
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Haha, j3nn! They have the same initials.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

And same amount of characters in their names. O_o lol

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    I feel like I've had this same discussion before, only Ray Peat is replaced with Ron Paul, lol. People say, "wow, those ideas are so out there, I really can't see how they can work. They go against everything I've ever been taught!"
    Yeah... I'm all about the olive branch, building bridges, yadda yadda yadda

Seriously his stuff is too out there for me to embrace cause I actually have to take an "evidence based medicine" view of things, but I can accept that its possible his he starts his analysis from such a different philosophical base that the evidence he analyzes takes on a different light. His distrust of new studies would deeply concern me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yeah... I'm all about the olive branch, building bridges, yadda yadda yadda

Seriously his stuff is too out there for me to embrace cause I actually have to take an "evidence based medicine" view of things, but I can accept that its possible his he starts his analysis from such a different philosophical base that the evidence he analyzes takes on a different light. His distrust of new studies would deeply concern me though.
    I have only implemented a few of his dietary suggestions, which is completely harmless and no different than primal or PHD. Ive said it before and I'll say it again: what's the harm in eating whole foods that happen to be nutritional powerhouses? Zip. Nada. None. I'd argue his suggestions are just as nutritious but maybe more efficient and economical than say the whole30 protocol. It's really whatever appeals to you. There's no wrong way to get beneficial nutrients, IMO.

Take this however you like, but something I have noticed is many people with formal education in this area just can't swallow Peat's concepts. His biggest proponents seem to be the self learned individuals. Perhaps having certain theories and in particular certain things understood as truth drilled into my head for several years has created a mindset that is impossible to penetrate even if his ideas are truly brilliant. So someone with less formal education, but the aptitude to learn can accept what he has to offer. Either that, or he really is off his rocker .
    It's true. The problem with information, and science, is that anyone with an agenda can dress it up to say whatever they want it to. It's only through self-medication and truly taking control of yourself can you realize what is true or not. Even still, there are infinite variables involved and steps to take to reach self-enlightenment. We can never be really sure of anything. This is why it's unsafe to become complacent and you always have to keep learning.

I received plenty of formal education in math, because it's the only thing that cannot be used to lie.

These are some of things I talked to Ray Peat about. I mentioned how science, and lies, are being used to make people docile and unwilling to accept ideas that go beyond what they've been taught because their free thought has been atrophied by an authoritarian and statist regime. They place all trust in others, what they see as God's among men, and no trust in themselves to question authority and what has been taught to them. Well behaved herd.
    Make America Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    These are some of things I talked to Ray Peat about. I mentioned how science, and lies, are being used to make people docile and unwilling to accept ideas that go beyond what they've been taught because their free thought has been atrophied by an authoritarian and statist regime. They place all trust in others, what they see as God's among men, and no trust in themselves to question authority and what has been taught to them. Well behaved herd.

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    This.

He quotes a couple of research studies from before WWII and ignores all the science that has come along since.

It also strikes me as kind of funny when his followers act like he invented things such as gelatin and oysters and liver.