Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm new and I feel terrible...

Shop Now
    ^to your first point, definitions vary. Some people say vegetarianism is veganism, others say vegetarianism can allow for dairy and fish, or eggs. People around here often generalize and say paleo/primal interchangeably. Whether that is correct is debatable, but basically, you are correct. Most forms of paleo do not allow for dairy.
    Journal
    Current interests - Starting Strength (reading it very slowly)

Depression Lies

Thanks so much for your follow-up! See my answers below:

How long have you been taking the Amitriptyline, and what is the dose? The doses for depression and pain are very different....
    I only take 10mg and I've been on it now for about a year and was on it previously for about a year when I was younger. Immediately prior to taking it this time I was on Trazedone (50mg) for sleep for the past ~3yrs.

When was your last full blood panel? Are you on Synthroid? Any other meds?
    That is a good question. I had "bloodwork" done when I transferred physicians about a year ago, but I'm not sure what specific tests were taken. The new folks know about my chronic pain, so I'm hoping they tested the important things, but I was told that everything was "normal."
    I am also on welbutrin for depression/anxiety. I've been through the mud and back with mental health issues and have tried several different drugs over the years (Celexa (terrible sex life, couldn't sleep), Remeron (got fat), Cymbalta (got HIGH)) and I've found that the SSRIs etc seem to cause me more difficulty than benefit they convey, I think I've found a decent state with welburtrin...

Who do you see for your management? Neurologist?
    I long ago exhausted the resources of my old family doctor (who delivered me 31 years ago) and was just on the drugs that helped the most over the years. Now that I've moved to the large urban centre, I've switched doctors, but I find, as is typical with chronic pain, that people don't take you seriously because they can't see any measurable problem in any of the tests they use. I had to push and push to get into the chronic pain clinic here in my city and they are no help, the anaesthesiologist I was seeing was so rushed and inattentive, I felt like he was trying to apply a recipe-book solution to my problem. As I said, I'm 31, have a high stress job, and I'm very aware of my health... everyone in that clinic is like 60 and has been through some serious pain causing traumas, so I felt like injecting anaesthic was a bit of an extreme intervention for me. The trigger point injections weren't working so he even tried a systemic lidocaine infusion, which again I felt was a very drastic intervention. I haven't been back since that last treatment.
    Beyond that, I've seen the same Osteopath/Massage Therapist for 10 years and he's the only one who can really help manage the pain, I've done chiropractors, naturopaths, accupuncture ... all of it, and the Osteo is the only thing that's worked.

You mentioned you take no opiates currently. Did you take them previously? Which ones?
    No, only morphine once for surgery. My mom is afflicted with whatever the hell this pain syndrome is as well and I've watched her get addicted to pain killers over the years and vowed that I wouldn't do that... certainly not at my age, I need to find a way to manage this without them or I will end up in the exact same place she is.

Have you tried other anti-depressants or pain killers than amitriptyline? Drowsiness is the rule for that drug, and outside of cost issues it may not be the best choice given your symptoms.
    As I mentioned, Trazedone, and Lorazepam in the past to improve sleep, but beyond that and the antidepressants I mentioned above, no.

Again, thanks for your thoughts... I know primal/paleo is not likely to solve my problems, but I'm really trying to make an effort to tackle this problem head-on instead of trying to put it out of my mind as has been my inclination over the past 10 years that it's been going on.

Quote Originally Posted by L0kI View Post
    2) I have a much harder time moderating myself. I'm what one would call an all-or-nothing type person...
    Me too. I needed to cut out most carbs. I stayed under 20g for months until I was able to get rid of cravings, and recognize true hunger. I started slowly adding them back in at 5-6 months to see what I could tolerate. Things like spaghetti squash and sweet potato. Only at about 9-10 months did I start adding banana and white potato and seem to be doing fine with it. 100g a day is a high carb day for me now, and I feel best at around 50g.

Thanks for the links, I will read them when I get home. I drink because I'm thirsty, generally, but it seems that when you drink more water, you get thirstier easier (my anecdotal thought). I just looked at my desk and I have 3 open bottles of water... ha.

Thanks!
    I did take an advil today cuz I literally woke up and all my bits hurt... like everything, so annoying and exhausting.

On the plus side, I did just down about 3 cups of raw spinach! Mmmm... Thankfully I love veggies (hey, vegetarian did something for me).
    Last edited by L0kI; 06-19-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by L0kI View Post
    Thanks for the links, I will read them when I get home. I drink because I'm thirsty, generally, but it seems that when you drink more water, you get thirstier easier (my anecdotal thought). I just looked at my desk and I have 3 open bottles of water... ha.
    I was just writing about this and didn't commit.... hyponatremia is sneaky in that it feels JUST like thirst. I've gotten sucked in myself, and went a month before I tipped over into getting really sick and found out what was wrong.

The reason I didn't put up the comment is that your drinking wasn't so, so high. The general rule of thumb is not to go over 150 oz/day by habit without a medical review. Meanwhile, you might want to think about whether you are really thirsty or whether you get get BETTER if you go a few hours with drinking. Also if you are drinking from thirst or for another reason.

In my case, I had replaced some eating compulsiveness with some drinking compulsiveness- I would get thirsty and instead of drinking 8 oz and I would knock back 32.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Hey - I don't have fibro, but I can't eat citrus fruits or tomatoes without my arthritis flaring up to the point I cannot walk. Not sure if that is a factor for you, but something I thought to suggest - along with the great suggestions of the other posters!

Good Luck. I'm new to Paleo / Primal too, but I've been low carbing on and off for over 10 years. It's the way forward - !!

I would encourage you to work on the food stuff and eliminating pain, but I too had difficulties with SSRI's. If you're interested in getting off Wellbutrin at some point, check out the book "The Mood Cure" for Julia Ross for information on how to use amino acids to treat depression. It has made a world of difference for me (on top of eating well).
    Journal
    Current interests - Starting Strength (reading it very slowly)

Depression Lies

That may be an option for me in the future (off the Welburtin), but it would be far down the list of priorities for me. I went through some serious anxiety/mood disorders (ie, hospitalized) and now have a nice healthy dose of OCD, so I'm a little weary of going off something that has been helpful (or even tinkering for that matter), I really don't want to end up back where I was 5 years ago.

To Pinot-Girl - I'm actually eating an orange right now, and just finished a salad with a tonne of tomatoes. I think that if I have to go no-nightshades or citrus, that will actually be harder for me than grains... Tomatoes are pretty much my favourite food. Once I've evened out on this first adjustment period, I may fully eliminate nightshades (and perhaps citrus) for a while since so many people seem to have issues with these. Before low-carbing, I would drink SO MUCH OJ - It's one of the things I really miss.

Shop Now
    Thanks for the articles on water.... it's very interesting. I think I will try to moderate my intake, reducing volume without reducing frequency for now.