Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 171

Thread: Brooke... One day at a time. Well maybe. :)

  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,493
    Shop Now
    Hey Brook,

    Finally getting a chance to say yo

    "Y'all" is actually one of the things I love about American-English! That and when men say "M'am". So cute. As are your pups!

    Quote Originally Posted by brookesam View Post
    I went to the doctor this past Friday. She's actually a nurse practitioner. She's going to be my PCP though. The last time I saw her she looked over my thyroid labs and agreed to up my Naturethroid dose from 2 grains to 2.5 grains. I had already raised it myself, just didn't have a script for it. So this visit I brought labs from 4 weeks ago and I was at 2.7 (my goal is 3.2 at least). She agreed to raise my dose to 3 grains... I'm actually taking 3.5 grains with 1/8 a grain a bit before bed. I feel pretty good.

    It's been hard to find a doctor to prescribe T3 meds or NDT. Big Pharma has most doctors sold on T4 only meds such as synthyroid. The trouble is that most cannot convert T4 to the active T3. As a result you can get high levels of reverse T3 which competes with T3. Thankfully reverse T3 has not been a problem for me.

    Last October I found a naturopath/md in Nashville. He told me to throw out my Synthyroid and started me on 1 grain of Armour. In 2 weeks I got labs and also the results from a salvia cortisol test. I went back to see him and he raised my dose to 2 grains. He told me to find a local doctor when I need refills. I was very doubtful I could though. In January I started feeling bad again. I called the doctor in Nashville and told him and he said my levels were in range last time but he didn't take into account that I'm dealing with Hashimotos. He swapped me over to Naturethroid at 2 grains.

    I had labs in February at a walkin clinic in town. The results showed that my T3 was 2.2 (I think) with lab ranges 2.7-4.5. In November I was at 3.2. I had no doubt I had been having a Hashimotos attack. I had gained weight and had no energy.

    One mistake I think I made was starting Stronglifts 5x5 the second week I was on Armour. I was still trying to do sprints and run 2-3 days on top of that. It was to much stress for my system. My lifts went up pretty good but I had been lifting kinda heavy before that.

    Right now I'm trying to find balance in everything. I'm going to the gym about 6 days a week. Two if those days I lift, one day I sprint and the other days I walk on incline/jog/run for 30-40 minutes. I feel I need to holdback a little when lifting bc it's just so taxing on my body.... And thats been hard for me. sometimes I don't realized how hard I'm going until I can barely walk or sit to pee! haha So for now, no more squats and deadlifts on the same day!

    Anyway, back to my doctor's visit Friday... She also prescribed Metanx. It looks to be a very high potent b vitamin. It's prescribed for people with neuropathy. I rarely have any symptoms of neuropathy anymore because of activity levels and my blood sugar levels are better and more stable than when I was 26 and younger. Metanx is described as helping remove homocysteine from the body... Sounds good to me! Wonder what Ray Peat thinks of it?
    I really admire that you can gym it 6 days a week. I feel like crap so often that it's really hard for me to keep consistent with my exercise.

    What was your history of getting diagnosed with Hashis? Did you feel bad for a long time, and do you feel better now that you're on meds? What were your symptoms?

    PS. Just saw your photos: you're a beautiful girl! And you look great
    Last edited by YogaBare; 06-13-2013 at 10:21 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,196
    Quote Originally Posted by brookesam View Post
    Do you speak from experience?

    I guess I won't cry over spilled milk but I might if it were lost T3.
    Not about freezing milk, but yeah.

    I also agree with you about the t3, which I'm just about to take right now actually.
    Make America Great Again

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Hey Brook,

    Finally getting a chance to say yo

    "Y'all" is actually one of the things I love about American-English! That and when men say "M'am". So cute. As are your pups!



    I really admire that you can gym it 6 days a week. I feel like crap so often that it's really hard for me to keep consistent with my exercise.

    What was your history of getting diagnosed with Hashis? Did you feel bad for a long time, and do you feel better now that you're on meds? What were your symptoms?

    PS. Just saw your photos: you're a beautiful girl! And you look great
    I feel bad a lot too. I can't wait until all this mess gets sorted out more! I go to the gym first thing in the morning because usually my energy is zapped by the time I get off work.

    I've had high antibodies for as long as they been checked. I have never had a doctor use the term "hashimotos" until I brought it up. The doc I'm seeing now agrees because of the antibodies and she sent me for a ultrasound to see is there was a nodule. I haven't had a goiter since last summer when things got really bad. I went for the ultrasound and they found a nodule. The specialist said it was so tiny and not inflamed. I believe its partly due to finally having T3 in my system and not eating inflammatory foods.

    I feel better most days. Last summer it was all I could do to go to the gym and go to work. Then I would just come home and not do anything. I would think, I'm 31, I shouldn't feel this way. I also has a little weight gain, my hair was coming out like crazy and nails were breaking allll the time. It could be 90 degrees outside and I would eat lunch and have the chills!

    I found out more about thyroid on MDA. I knew I needed to find a doc that would prescribe the meds I needed. I was laughed at 2x before I found the doc in Nashville!

    You've mentioned your mom has hashi's... have you had free T3 tested?

    One thing... I feel better these days but half of the weight I've gained over the past year didn't come on until after I got on Naturethroid. I think my metabolic rate is low. My pulse this morning was below 60 when I woke up. My temp was 97.9 last Friday at the doctors which was the highest I've seen it in years! I need to get a thermometer. What do you think these days about pulse and temp?

    And thank you!!! That means alot. My confidence hasn't been the best since my body has taken on a little extra weight.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by brookesam View Post
    I have a really bad habit. I chew a pack of gum a day. Is that gross or what?
    Haha I get obsessive over things every once in a while (its either all or nothing :-D), and back in the winter I was chewing about a pack of gum a day too. I don't really like to chew gum anymore unless someone offers me a piece, since there is probably a bunch of ingredients in the gum I didn't want to be eating too much of. I wouldn't say it's gross though.

    Yea...I'm avoiding gum cause I think its unhealthy.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,196
    I chew nicotine gum and smoke vapor cigs all day because fascists trample on my freedom to smoke inside buildings ;_;
    Make America Great Again

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,493
    Quote Originally Posted by brookesam View Post
    I feel bad a lot too. I can't wait until all this mess gets sorted out more! I go to the gym first thing in the morning because usually my energy is zapped by the time I get off work.

    I've had high antibodies for as long as they been checked. I have never had a doctor use the term "hashimotos" until I brought it up. The doc I'm seeing now agrees because of the antibodies and she sent me for a ultrasound to see is there was a nodule. I haven't had a goiter since last summer when things got really bad. I went for the ultrasound and they found a nodule. The specialist said it was so tiny and not inflamed. I believe its partly due to finally having T3 in my system and not eating inflammatory foods.

    I feel better most days. Last summer it was all I could do to go to the gym and go to work. Then I would just come home and not do anything. I would think, I'm 31, I shouldn't feel this way. I also has a little weight gain, my hair was coming out like crazy and nails were breaking allll the time. It could be 90 degrees outside and I would eat lunch and have the chills!

    I found out more about thyroid on MDA. I knew I needed to find a doc that would prescribe the meds I needed. I was laughed at 2x before I found the doc in Nashville!

    You've mentioned your mom has hashi's... have you had free T3 tested?

    One thing... I feel better these days but half of the weight I've gained over the past year didn't come on until after I got on Naturethroid. I think my metabolic rate is low. My pulse this morning was below 60 when I woke up. My temp was 97.9 last Friday at the doctors which was the highest I've seen it in years! I need to get a thermometer. What do you think these days about pulse and temp?

    And thank you!!! That means alot. My confidence hasn't been the best since my body has taken on a little extra weight.
    IT sounds like you're doing better! I guess your issues are complicated cos' you're diabetic as well. How's your mood been - have you been depressed at all?

    I got my thyroid checked: my t4 was just below norm, and my t3 was low but within range. So I'm kind of borderline... But I think the low thyroid is a side effect of the Oestrogen dominance.

    I have no idea about pulse and temp anymore... I stopped taking mine.

    A guy on the forum just posted a thread about a diet he created that he believes restores metabolism. I'm going to try it when I get back home, cos' my metabolism seems to have slowed down over the last few weeks (I gained weight for no reason). Might be worth looking into for you too?

    I understand the loss of confidence from weight gain - but you look fab Keep the chin up.


    Quote Originally Posted by max219 View Post
    Haha I get obsessive over things every once in a while (its either all or nothing :-D), and back in the winter I was chewing about a pack of gum a day too. I don't really like to chew gum anymore unless someone offers me a piece, since there is probably a bunch of ingredients in the gum I didn't want to be eating too much of. I wouldn't say it's gross though.

    Yea...I'm avoiding gum cause I think its unhealthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by CiKi90 View Post
    Hey, you should start posting your workouts in the COY thread if you want some motivation or somethin'. You're strong, too!

    Also, chewing a pack of gum a day isn't really all that gross, I used to do it too! Since then, I have switched to Altoids (made with sugar) and chewing my nails off -- not so great, lol. The only thing that sucks about chewing gum is that it can really cause some bloating in your tummy. All that chewing puts air in your stomach... And, the chemicals aren't really ideal, either.

    Uh-oh... Guys, I usually chew two packs a day..! I know it's really bad, but I get thirsty and for some reason it helps me. I wonder if this is part of my bloating problem. Chewing gum and coffee are the two things I"m addicted to...

    And I second Ci's suggestion that you start posting in the fitness thread
    Last edited by YogaBare; 06-15-2013 at 08:30 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,807
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Uh-oh... Guys, I usually chew two packs a day..! I know it's really bad, but I get thirsty and for some reason it helps me. I wonder if this is part of my bloating problem. Chewing gum and coffee are the two things I"m addicted to...
    I did a quick google search and a lot came up for, "chewing gum and bloating". It seems chewing gum can cause someone to swallow a lot of air and that can lead to bloating. Also, some sweeteners that may be used in sf gum can definitely cause bloating.

    Another search about coffee also lists links that seem to indicate a connection between coffee and bloating. You might want to research these connections further.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by CiKi90 View Post

    Also, chewing a pack of gum a day isn't really all that gross, I used to do it too! Since then, I have switched to Altoids (made with sugar) and chewing my nails off -- not so great, lol. The only thing that sucks about chewing gum is that it can really cause some bloating in your tummy. All that chewing puts air in your stomach... And, the chemicals aren't really ideal, either.
    I usually don't get bloated until around dinner time but by then I've already chewed almost a whole pack! Maybe that's why.... hmmmm.
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Uh-oh... Guys, I usually chew two packs a day..! I know it's really bad, but I get thirsty and for some reason it helps me. I wonder if this is part of my bloating problem. Chewing gum and coffee are the two things I"m addicted to...
    Yogabare, Wow! Two packs?! I thought it helps me produce more stomach acid to digest my food. That theory could be wrong though. I absolutely must have my Extra Dessert gum and my very, very strong French press coffee! I've been known to go into panic mode if I get to work without my pack of gum. haha

    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I chew nicotine gum and smoke vapor cigs all day because fascists trample on my freedom to smoke inside buildings ;_;
    Maybe I should stop chewing gum and take up smoking. Or better yet, chew nicotine gum!

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    547
    Yay!!! I figured out how to do the multi quote reply thing.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    547
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by CiKi90 View Post
    Hey, you should start posting your workouts in the COY thread if you want some motivation or somethin'. You're strong, too!
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post

    And I second Ci's suggestion that you start posting in the fitness thread
    Thanks y'all! I'll be over there shortly!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •