Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling out to women re: calories

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyH View Post
    From these pictures I would think you're focused on losing about 4kg of mud?
    Oh I took no offense. thought it was a joke about the mud.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

I don't count calories. But I notice that when I eat to satiety, I lose weight. If I don't eat enough and feel hungry most of the day, I gain weight. And then I get frustrated and start eating crap. So I'm focused for now on eating to satiety. I'm also giving carb cycling a bit of a try. I'm trying to stay lower carb and then once a week I'll eat whatever (no wheat, it gives me a headache). I'll likely see my lowest ever on the scale by the end of the week this way.

I totally get the belly fat concern though, as I'm right there with you. What's more, I can feel the muscle underneath. So I'm hoping to keep inching down on the scale with the low carb/high carb cycling.

I eat 2500-2800 calories a day to lose, but I do 18-hour IFs which averages out to 1800-2000/day with two hours moderate exercise. I know that water weight is a huge factor with me. I'm prone to fluid retention and struggle with it even on a RX diuretic. Sometimes it's not just fat weight and calories. Sometimes you have to take extra measures to keep water weight off. It's hormonal and frustrating. I use a sauna And sauna suit when I feel especially puffy. Yes, I know water weight can fluctuate and instantly come back, but if you can manipulate it to lose more than you put back on, it may help manage the overall yucky feeling associated with extra pounds. Its why when people lose weight initially on any new diet they feel so great. Water weight is common, especially in women with deranged hormones, which is virtually all of us, right? Lol.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    I eat 2500-2800 calories a day to lose, but I do 18-hour IFs which averages out to 1800-2000/day with two hours moderate exercise. I know that water weight is a huge factor with me. I'm prone to fluid retention and struggle with it even on a RX diuretic. Sometimes it's not just fat weight and calories. Sometimes you have to take extra measures to keep water weight off. It's hormonal and frustrating. I use a sauna And sauna suit when I feel especially puffy. Yes, I know water weight can fluctuate and instantly come back, but if you can manipulate it to lose more than you put back on, it may help manage the overall yucky feeling associated with extra pounds. Its why when people lose weight initially on any new diet they feel so great. Water weight is common, especially in women with deranged hormones, which is virtually all of us, right? Lol.
    J3nn, I'm your sister! Have massive issues with bloating... no matter what I eat I look pregnant... and I'm fairly slim I suspected it was hormonal (was just diagnosed with oestrogen dominance) so I'm glad to see you say it! Can you tell me more about the hormonal malfunctions that can cause it?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

I aim at 1200 per day but I always go above... 1300-1500 sometimes over 2000. Currently my only cardio is two 30 minute walk. I focused on upping my fats by a lot (low fat diet victim of 20 odd years :P) so olive oils, avocados, heavy cream, coconut milk are all staples, as are bacon and eggs. My carbs are 98% veggies and super easy on the fruit. I didn't start seeing results until I started giving fats the priority and cutting the carbs. Like you I have a few days that are higher carb but try to keep it under 150g.

Tracking using fit day or something similar also helped. As long as you are not obsessive about it. It was also kind of fun

Dont know if this will help, just what is working for me... at the moment.

Little background first I guess. I was losing 8-10lbs per month when I started CW of dieting while slowing changing my lifestyle. 1500-1800 calories. Found more satiating foods, found PB, found HF/LC, found IF, found 1-3 day fasting, found my calories around 800 - 1200 on the days that I would eat. Found I was never really hungry for most of the fast but always watching the clock for when I could eat again. I found energy tanking. I found weight loss screeching to a halt.

I added back in some things like fruit, potatoes, etc and I felt human again. I am NOT knocking anyone that does HF/LC. My problem was, I missed the refeed part of the equation. So my bad.

So I found a few pounds weight gain, but clothes still fit fine. I tried calorie cycling, carb cycling, PHD for weight loss, I tried just eating good foods just to see where that would take me. I was feeling great, but no weight loss.

And while I don't believe in dieting per se, I do believe that sometimes you just have to get strict with yourself, have a strategy and that might just resemble a "diet".

So.......... what has been working for me, this is my second month.... I am doing Fast Metabolism Diet. (Did I Eat Today) It is suppose to help with things like pituitary, feeding your thyroid (which I went to the doctor and whatever test they did, it was okay but I am not convinced) calm adrenals, reduce stress on your liver.

I am eating the same foods as before (well I added back in steel cut oats & quinoa, at least while I am following her program) so anyways, I am pretty much eating the same foods but I am eating them more strategically. Certain carbs (no pastas or wheats) but certain fruits and veggies along with certain proteins on Monday & Tuesday. Wednesday and Thursday is certain proteins and certain veggies. Friday, Saturday, Sunday is certain fruits, certain veggies, certain proteins, and certain fats.

So you minimize fat Mon - Thurs, and then just before your body starts screaming for fats, you give it some fats. She explained it all in such a way that it just made sense to me.

So anyways, I chart my progress most daily and I had just enough ups and downs that I thought I was gaining ground. But really, since finding PB in March of 2012 I had only lost about 15lbs. And then when I realized I was just spinning my wheels, I didnt know what to do about it. I just could not find the right combination to get things moving again. I started this on April 15, and I lost 6lbs my first week. Now remember, I had long time ago cut out wheats and pastas, etc. so not alot of water weight, I don't think. And I was getting lots of carbs on Mon & Tues, and a pretty fair amount Fri, Sat & Sun.

So anyways, I could not be happier with my progress, so I am going another month. Again, it does not feel like a diet to me because I am pretty much eating the same foods. I try to get in the nutrients that PHD suggests using primal foods (for the most part) and I just eat certain things on certain days.

Oh and my calories are really just all over the place. She says calories do not mean a thing and do not matter. She doesnt count them, but I have counted for over 1.5 years and I was curious. She does limit portions. For every 20lbs over the initial 20, you add .5 serving of everything, up to 2 servings. Veggies are always unlimited but again, certain ones on certain days. But the lists are LOOOOOONG. Never lacking for something to eat, and never hungry.

Anyways.... it got me out of my funk.
    Last edited by gopintos; 05-21-2013 at 04:57 PM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Oh and my calories are really just all over the place. She says calories do not mean a thing and do not matter. She doesnt count them, but I have counted for over 1.5 years and I was curious. She does limit portions. For every 20lbs over the initial 20, you add .5 serving of everything, up to 2 servings. Veggies are always unlimited but again, certain ones on certain days. But the lists are LOOOOOONG. Never lacking for something to eat, and never hungry.

Anyways.... it got me out of my funk.
    Do you really increase your food quantity as you lose weight? That's pretty interesting if that's what you meant. Glad you found something that is working for you.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Oh, No sorry, I didnt explain it right.

You have one serving if you want to lose 20lbs or less.

For each 20lbs OVER 20lbs that you want to lose, you add .5 serving. So if you want to lose a total of 40lbs, you would eat 1.5 servings Unlimited veggies for whatever "phase" you are on.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    J3nn, I'm your sister! Have massive issues with bloating... no matter what I eat I look pregnant... and I'm fairly slim I suspected it was hormonal (was just diagnosed with oestrogen dominance) so I'm glad to see you say it! Can you tell me more about the hormonal malfunctions that can cause it?
    I'm trying to figure it out myself. I think Ray Peat has an article on it that I haven't read yet. Protein malabsorption is related to it if you have low albumin. The substrates needed don't get to where they need to be. I also have estrogen dominance, my DHEA is nonexistent (nearly zero), very low progesterone, and other overlapping symptoms which all contribute to and aggravate each other. I have menorrhagia, severe anemia, horrible digestion regardless of what I eat, and so on. The bloating and water retention is one of the big ones. I was diagnosed train wreck by my doc, ha. Oddly enough, some days I'll deflate and drop tons of water out of nowhere and the cycle starts again. Puff, puff, wooooooooooosh.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Glad you found something that is working for you.

Thanks, I am happy happy happy again now

I was just looking at my charts since I started in April. After the initial first week of 6lbs, the following couple of weeks were so-so but because of my own undoing. Weekend motorcycle rides with DH - and I tried to eat as best as I could off the menu, but also she says having your snacks is just as important and I didnt always, and I wasnt drinking enough water (didnt want to have to make anymore potty stops than necessary)

So anyways.... after a few weekends of that messing with my numbers.... the last 3 weeks, I forgot that I have been taking 2-3TBL of potato starch in the evenings. (not on her plan but on the Melinda's-let's-just-see-what-this-does plan) And even with things like Mother's Day cake on the weekend, I am consistently losing 3lbs per week.

I know that is not alot for some, but when you havent had any significant loss for about a year..... and before things screeched to a halt with HF/LC, just going primal with fat around 50% I was only losing about 3lbs per month. So 3lbs per week is awesome for me! I'll take it!