Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SeattleSlim -- Trying to Accentuate the Positive

Shop Now
    Thanks everybody for the words of encouragement. I just stumbled upon this old post (I love how there is SO much to read here, it really keeps me motivated) and it really helped: Will Momentary Compromises Derail Your Efforts? | Mark's Daily Apple

Awok, I've always done exactly what you talk about. After about a week on a diet, I mess up and then go off on some carb binge because what's the point if I'm not perfect? Balance has always been a challenge for me. It's kind of sad that it's taken me until my 40s to realize that steady progress is better than daily perfectionism, but I think it has finally sunk in. And I will stick with it. I started to feel motivated again yesterday and looked up some recipes to make for next week.

I felt way better after having my salad last night, and a smoothie this morning. Now off to exercise class and then some home improvement.

Oh, and I should say -- I live alone and also work from home, which is great because I can make good meals all the time, but bad because I have no accountability to anyone. Which is why I think this forum will be helpful.
    Starting weight: 195.8
    Weight at end of 21-day challenge: ???

Goal: To free myself of food obsessions and maintain a healthy weight without DIEeting

Week 1 recap

In the spirit of finding the positive about this journey, I should summarize my first primal week:

- My perioral dermatitis has improved considerably. (This is a symmetrical acne-like rash around the nose, chin, and forehead that has no clear etiology.) My forehead is almost completely clear, chin about 75% clear, nose (which is the worst) about 50% clear. This is such a relief.
    - My scalp psoriasis has possibly, slightly improved. (I could be imagining this, but it feels less itchy and I've had to use less of my topical med.)
    - I lost about 4.5 pounds and my face looks thinner.
    - My bowels are normal now. (Grains were the culprit?)
    - I haven't snacked mindlessly in the evenings at all.
    - No wild food cravings.
    - My energy level is CRAZY. I've been waking up, refreshed and with energy, at 6, 6:30 am! This is very unusual for me.
    - My mood has lifted enormously.

I have to remember these changes down the road should I ever lose motivation.

On to week 2 ...

Goal: To free myself of food obsessions and maintain a healthy weight without DIEeting

Wow, SSlim, great improvements in just one week, so pleased for you. Keep it up!

Shop Now
    I have been pleasantly surprised to discover that cooking primal is actually very simple. I just made a simple Ina Garten recipe of chicken thighs with a honey, tamari, ginger, and garlic marinade. Combined with some steamed broccoli and mashed potato/cauliflower, it was just the comfort foot I needed today.