Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting bored of veggies!

Shop Now
    Bored of veggies ? ditch them

Eat different ones. Cook them. Season them. I can never get bored if vegetables, unlike proteins, there's so many different types.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

How much do you like to cook? I like to have an assortment of veggies:
    easy to prep:
    prewashed spinach
    Kale
    frozen asparagus (microwaves)
    Cucumber
    Peppers
    Shredded cabbage
    Avocados

Takes more time to prep:
    Squash
    Brussels
    Asparagus (fresh)
    Potatoes/Sweet potatoes (I buy small ones and usually eat them with a green veggie)

Veggies I always forget about:
    Carrots
    Celery
    Artichokes
    Tomatoes
    Eggplant
    Zucchini

A good cookbook is your friend if you don't know how to use vegetables, Deborah Madison has a good one that lists all veggies and 3-4 preperations of each.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by prime11 View Post
    Potatoes should not really be on the list unless you're doing a ton of cardio like running marathons or playing sports for hours on end like pro athletes. And at that it's only sweet potatoes.
    That's why pro-athletes, marathoners and sport enthusiasts alike compete.

So they can sit back at the end of the day and say "Gee, I really earned my potato".

We eat a lot of frozen spinach, because we like it. But I also like to make a large quantity of colorful mixed vegetables: steamed broccoli, red peppers, carrots, daikon, and rutabagas are pretty together. Leftovers can be used for another hot meal, with bacon or cheese, etc., or as a cold salad or snack.

I need to bookmark all these replies, reminding of me some great vegetables!

Unfortunately I think you do need to put some time aside to prepare if you don't want to be eating raw veg the majority of the time.

I tend to do a fruit/veg shop on Sundays. I get all my salad ingredients to take packed lunches to work (lettuce/baby spinach, cucumber, bell pepper, carrots, tomatoes, sometimes avocado) and then decide on a couple of different veg per week to cook up in the evenings - so I eat raw veg for lunch mostly and then hot food for dinner. The veg for dinner tend to have protein that works best with them, which means I mix up my meat/fish on a weekly basis too.

Sometimes instead of salad lunches I'll make a big batch of soup on a Sunday afternoon - you can chuck almost any veg in with some organic stock and you're guaranteed a good tasting meal, plus it's so much quicker and easier to cook than people think, leave it all to boil up for a while and then blend.

I also find what inspires me is looking at a seasonal fruit/veg calendar - it'll be different in the States (you guys get some really interesting veg dammit) but something like http://www.freshdirect.co.uk/getdoc/...uce_Guide.aspx really helps.

I agree that you can ditch them.

But if you like them for variety or even because a meal doesn't feel like a meal without a side dish, think on this. I just googled, "how many edible plants are there in the world," and depending on the site, there are 20,000-30,000 of them!

Next time you shop, try something you've never tried before. I have problems with fresh greens going bad also, so I buy those frozen, but most other veggies are more stable.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
    That's why pro-athletes, marathoners and sport enthusiasts alike compete.

So they can sit back at the end of the day and say "Gee, I really earned my potato".
    Ha good one. Just pointing out there are entire chapters in paleo books devoted to why white potatoes are not good and should not be a staple in the diet.

I have been buying a lot more frozen veg for convenience.
    I have been making loads of soups for variety.

Mushroom soup - fry onions, garlic and loads of mushrooms in butter/olive oil. Simmer with a pint of veg stock and can of coconut milk. Blitz with stick blender.
    Courgette and Leek soup - fry garlic and leek as above. Add courgettes and simmer with veg stock. Blitz with stick blender.

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    Bored of veggies ? ditch them
    I adore Dr. Ede. Her "Diagnosis: Diet" blog has a lot of well researched resources.