Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suddenly Starving!? What gives?

Shop Now
    You know, I'm not sure. Salt is not something I've ever really tracked much. I used to (pre 2012) drink tons of soda and canned soups so I got salt out the wazoo, now I do neither of things so. :x

I think my quiche and shepards pie had maybe 1 tsp of salt each split among the entire batch. Not sure on the salt content in my salad dressing, it is made from scratch by a local food shop and honestly it's the only salad dressing I love so I don't want to know and have it be ruined. I imagine since it is a ceaser and presumably made with anchovies that the salt content may be decent to high.

I don't salt food ever once it's cooked. I think it's the principle of it, I have always been a bit offended when people salt food (either mine, or someone else's, restaurants) without even tasting it. I will never salt it, SO THERE. :P

FWIW I have begun adding seasalt to my food fairly generously, after reading various threads about carb flu and feeling lethargic etc. It seems to make me feel better!! I do work out hard and sweat puddles - so maybe that explains why I seem to NEED the salt.

Suppose I'm just saying salt might not be a no-no?

Quote Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post
    I don't salt food ever once it's cooked. I think it's the principle of it, I have always been a bit offended when people salt food (either mine, or someone else's, restaurants) without even tasting it. I will never salt it, SO THERE. :P
    I NEVER used to salt my food, but now I'm an auto-salter. I'm sure some of that is just me getting less hidden salt in foods than before, but I think that some of it might be some sort of deficiency craving.

As long as your BP is ok, there's no reason to fear salt.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Just a few thoughts... A rumbling stomach does not always mean hunger. An empty feeling does not necessarily mean hunger. Hungry feelings shortly after eating a substantial meal are almost assuredly not physical hunger.

I am most likely to feel suddenly, inexplicably famished if I have some big emotional situation going on, or some work I really don't want to do.

That said, there are times when I suddenly feel hungry and don't think I should be physically hungry. It's usually because i've introduced some food I wasn't eating much before (say, nuts, dairy), or if I'm not getting enough carbs, or too many carbs, or strangely, anytime I eat a lot of eggs.

I don't know what's triggering you; these are just things I've noticed about myself. I do want to encourage you to continue to listen to and nourish your body and learn what your triggers are. I once weighed 280 at 5'6" and now weigh 180. I could probably stand to drop another 20. I didn't lose it all being paleo, but paleo is what I always come back to for lifelong health.
    Janeen

Quote Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post
    I had a boyfriend who used to liberally salt and pepper everything I served at the table without even tasting it. But when he cooked, he would refuse to season it, then be highly offended if I tasted it and added salt. Go figure.

Janeen, thanks for your input. I am no stranger to emotional eating, that is for damn sure. Though I can't complain. My boyfriend and I are happy, I just got a promotion and a raise today! And generally my life is grand, aside from being fat. :P It genuinely feels like hunger and not cravings. Maybe I don't know what hunger is supposed to feel like... I have considered that my lifelong warped relationship with food has made me unable to tell when I am hungry, satisfied, dehydrated, etc.

@eKatherine: omg stabby feelings!!!

This is a more difficult one. A rumbling stomach can mean hunger; it can also mean stomach problems.

1. It really can't be hunger 1/2 to 1 hours after eating. The food you've eaten has barely made it into the small intestine. More likely your body is telling you it wants something it's not getting or it's getting something it doesn't like. Be very sure you're not eating any HFCS. Don't drink unless you're really thirsty. More salt should make you more thirsty. Salt it good.

2. Stop with all the fluids. You don't need nearly that much. You're washing out all the water-soluble vitamins and nutrients. Maybe one or more of what your body is wanting. and don't drink during the meal.

3. Take a really good multi supplement, like Mark's. Also take a good probiotic at least daily to make sure your body is able to digest what you're giving it.

4. If your body is complaining about something you are giving it be sure you are 100% primal until your stomach heals. Read all the ingredients lists very carefully again.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 03-20-2013 at 07:45 PM.

Try eating more meat. I find protein very satiating, especially if I eat a lot of it for a while and let myself get all filled up with it over time to the point of wanting to skip a meal because the idea of more protein is unappetizing. Then I know I've cured that hunger beast for a good long while.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Have you tried drinking liquid fat?

Drink heavy cream, coconut oil or something. And have some salt. A lot of times after these two things a person won't even want to think about food for the rest of the day.

Shop Now
    Your menu is the type that leaves me hungry for more. I started around your weight, so far I'm down close to 100 lbs, but I aim to eat 2500-2800 calories a day with IF and daily exercise. Eating cheese, fruit, and starch with my meals satisfies me. A salad loaded with meat, cheese, dressing, etc. always leaves me hungrier than if I included a potato and fruit or rice or tapioca/rice bread. Try adding a potato to breakfast and see if that helps.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams