Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Best Rebuttal needed for Low Carb "Myth" statement

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    That's wishful thinking. The body doesn't enter a state of ketosis that easily. Unless, you go back to avoiding carbohydrates, protein, and/or overall calories and go through your glycogen stores.
    Not picking on you J3nn by quoting..... but this is almost exactly part of what OP was arguing against.

No carb (and ketosis for that matter) does not equal Low carb in the context of eating Primal. You don't have to be in ketosis to be primal. It's just a relatively low carb diet. OP pointed that out specifically.

I can't really see any reason a relatively low carb diet would cause anybody issues. Especially if you start with 100-150g then add 100g for every hour of heavy training. Thats plenty to alleviate any issues associated with ketosis.... real or imagined.

From my understanding most of the current high carb cheerleaders, including danny roddy, went so after trying a stint at No Carb that did not agree with them. So what did they find out? Just cause low carb is good doesn't necessarily make no carb better.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 03-15-2013 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Not picking on you J3nn by quoting..... but this is almost exactly part of what OP was arguing against.

No carb (and ketosis for that matter) does not equal Low carb in the context of eating Primal. You don't have to be in ketosis to be primal. It's just a relatively low carb diet. OP pointed that out specifically.

I can't really see any reason a relatively low carb diet would cause anybody issues. Especially if you start with 100-150g then add 100g for every hour of heavy training. Thats plenty to alleviate any issues associated with ketosis.... real or imagined.

From my understanding most of the current high carb cheerleaders, including danny roddy, went so after trying a stint at No Carb that did not agree with them. So what did they find out? Just cause low carb is good doesn't necessarily make no carb better.
    While i somewhat agree with you that a relatively low carb might not cause issues, i still think there could be many things that could go wrong. Mostly the source of the remaining calories of the diet. Someone eating mainly seafood, red meat, eggs, dairy, coconut as the remaining calories will probably do fine. The same person eating nuts, seeds, fowl, pork and vegetables will most likely have issues.

Actually i wonder how i would do on a low carb diet, knowing what i know now.

I agree that we are always burning glucose and fat by default. Glucose is just preferential to the brain and activity. I think the two extremes of a very low-(dietary)-fat diet or a ketosis diet are both secondary choices of the body and brain even though we have potential to run on both. Some of us go to these extremes and do it with great ease and live quite optimally. 30 bananas, all meat + fat diets, etc. Most do not thrive on them because I believe both diets take great effort to maintain unlike a mixed diet that the body responds to more easily.

The "fat burning beast" concept is misleading. We already are fat burners.
    Agreed mostly, except I don't think preference is the right word, in my mind the body does what is most appropriate depending on the dietary intake mix.

The "Fat burning beast" is an unfortunate descriptor, suggesting there is a superior position and I have come to believe that the "Duel Fuel Beast" may be more appropriate for those seeking the best health outcomes.
    Last edited by Omni; 03-15-2013 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Actually i wonder how i would do on a low carb diet, knowing what i know now.
    Are you going to try it out?
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Are you going to try it out?
    Not any time soon. Doing amazing and almost as lean as i have ever been right now.

But it does interest me just so i know how i would feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Agreed mostly, except I don't think preference is the right word, in my mind the body does what is most appropriate depending on the dietary intake mix.

The "Fat burning beast" is an unfortunate descriptor, suggesting there is a superior position and I have come to believe that the "Duel Fuel Beast" may be more appropriate for those seeking the best health outcomes.
    I think preference comes into play when you experience discomfort transitioning to another fuel source, e.g., carb flu. To experience such symptoms suggests resistance to me; unwillingly switching from a state more preferable. And to go back to not relying so heavily on ketones is almost effortless, or rather, little resistance. There aren't any "ketone flu-like" symptoms that I have ever heard of.

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Not any time soon. Doing amazing and almost as lean as i have ever been right now.

I feel you. It's actually quite fun to me to experiment. I have done low-carb stints. It's not bad, but it's not nearly as good to me. It's quite stressful for a foodie. Not to mention my energy is never quite there.

I've tried to do higher carb, but I just don't have the sweet tooth for it. About three pieces of fruit in a day along with 1-2 teaspoons of honey is my max. And when I do that I usually displace/don't bother eating any veggies (not that I consider that all bad). I just love my savory foods. Actually the easiest way for me to crank up the carbs is with tons of marinara sauce. Either way, in all honesty I'm a healthy guy and eating fruit or starch, both, or neither really doesn't seem to have a great deal of effect on me. So I just follow my tastebuds and end up around 100g.

I've tried to do higher carb, but I just don't have the sweet tooth for it. About three pieces of fruit in a day along with 1-2 teaspoons of honey is my max. And when I do that I usually displace/don't bother eating any veggies (not that I consider that all bad). I just love my savory foods. Actually the easiest way for me to crank up the carbs is with tons of marinara sauce. Either way, in all honesty I'm a healthy guy and eating fruit or starch, both, or neither really doesn't seem to have a great deal of effect on me. So I just follow my tastebuds and end up around 100g.
    Weirdo. j/k

Fruit is sooo good. I could eat 3 x times as much as that in a day and never get tired of it.

Shop Now
    See that is very reasonable and actually pretty much exactly what i do now, i just have different taste buds. I do eat quite a bit of fat as well on most days, just like to keep my protein lower and my fat saturated.

VLC always just killed me and even following the primal blueprint and eating low carb was brutal. But i think that if i did it correctly for me, i might do ok on 100g carbs or less. When i hit my bf goal and stabalize, i think ill give it a go for comparisons sake.