Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Do any of you count calories?

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    For those who count, do you stop eating if you reach your calorie limit, even if you are still hungry?
    Sometimes, lol. It was less of a problem when I was 60 lbs over weight. At about 25 lbs over a healthy weight, it started to be more of an issue. At that point though I had enough experience to know that hunger was as likely to be psychological as it was physical. I can push past a hungry spell and feel fabulous an hour later. If I was "trusting my appetite" or whatever, I might never have discovered that.

I know how many calories (within the limits of CI/CO estimation) will maintain my current weight, how many will maintain my goal weight, how many will permit a 1/2 lb a week weight loss. I have discovered that my metabolism seems to be a bit higher than the estimates, which is such a rush, I cannot even describe. I gained "7 lbs" over the Christmas holidays and took them off with minimal suffering in the next 3 weeks. I am reluctant to push calorie counting to people who are managing just fine without, because if you're not a numbers person, it might be pure misery, but it has saved my body.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

yeah it is misery for me to count, as it does make me obsess, and not want to eat if I have reached my limit.
    Currently not counting is working, and is not stressing me, but I guess if it stops working ill rethink it later.
    Great for those who can do it though.

I did for a long time. At first it was interesting, then it was enjoyable, then it became a focus, then it became extremely stressful. As a result, I've had some noticeable fat gain due to no longer tracking (my natural homeostasis is more body fat than I'd like), but the less stress, higher body temperature and more stable energy is well worth a few extra pounds of body fat.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

I try not to deny myself more food if I am truly hungry, even if it exceeds my calorie target. That's why I love calorie cycling. What you eat or don't eat in one day doesn't matter nearly as much as what you eat over several days and weeks. The average is more important.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

For those who count, do you stop eating if you reach your calorie limit, even if you are still hungry?
    no, because I"m not dieting, really.

i always count after, too, not during, so. . . easy enough.

I track. Need to make sure I'm eating enough. For one, I'm trying to gain. Secondly, I IF, often eating all my cals in a four hour period. If ally, I can't afford to lose (borderline underweight).

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    no, because I"m not dieting, really.

i always count after, too, not during, so. . . easy enough.
    that makes sense, thanks.

yes, sometimes. if i have been making poor food choices then i will try not to eat more because it would be sabotaging myself. sometimes it depends on what i ate that day, if i exercized. if i was very active i will eat more. if i made poor food choices and ate lots of sugars, etc then the hunger is likely due to eating too much junk food, in which case if i ate correctly i would not be so hungry, so i dont eat anymore. if i have been doing well the last couple of days and i have chosen goods foods and i am still hungry then maybe i will eat more. i just dont eat more if its a result of poor choices that day or continous poor choices that week.

I never could stop when I reached my limit. If I reached my limit before dinner, oh well. I am still going to have dinner. And then I'll feel bad and I don't like having numbers make me feel bad.

I also notice that my appetite goes in a cycle. I will have a period of time where I can eat very little and not feel hungry or deprived. Then I will get very hungry and a 1000 calorie meal is barely enough. Then there are times where I eat way too much one day but the next I'm not interested so it all evens out. But honestly, I kinda know better that I eat more than I should when I'm doing it. Hence, another reason not to count because I'm not really that much in the dark that I need a number to point it out to me.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Shop Now
    It's easier if I plan in the morning. I have to figure out what I'm going to eat anyway, since I'll have to defrost something, so I figure it's just as easy to plan. But that's me. My brain doesn't filter if I leave it to just eat when "hungry."

Planning takes the stress off of me. It's kind of like a to-do list in that it helps me approach the day.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.