Page 50 of 226 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast

Thread: Resistant Starches

Shop Now
    @Nameless - I would recommend Resistant Starch | Free The Animal as a source of more research/information. Though, this thread also has a lot of good information.

For a list of RS in food, see:

http://freetheanimal.com/wp-content/...h-in-Foods.pdf

Otherwise, the general newbie guideline seems to be start with a tablespoon of potato starch mixed with liquid once a day. After a week, you can slowly start increasing it. Though it seems like for most people, the benefits max out at 4 tablespoons or ~40g of RS.

My results from last 2weeks , which I have cooked , fridge overnight then reheated my carbs( potatoes rice) is that an increase in wind , during night and day, smell is pretty foul but not that bothered , I work outside so can just pass them by .
    Don't really notice any other effects , sleeping more easier .

I had my first tbsp of Potato starch , wait and see ..

From London England UK

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Is anyone eating frozen peas? I just read that 1 cup has 4.4 grams that is much higher than potatoes and rice. A cold rice and pea salad sounds kind of good, flavored with some mint, green onions and some sort of protein.

I'd love to know the answer to this one. I really like frozen peas - especially with tuna, lemon juice, and cumin. I guess they would have to be eaten cold?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

I just jumped in tonight with white sorghum flour as a source of RS.

Someone mentioned they make RS "cookies" (not cooked, I think it was potato starch, eggs, butter). I made my own tonight with sorghum flour, butte, and a little honey. It was to good. I ate way more than the recommended 1 TBS for starting out. I hope it doesn't make me explode!!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I'd love to know the answer to this one. I really like frozen peas - especially with tuna, lemon juice, and cumin. I guess they would have to be eaten cold?
    Green sweet peas - poor source of RS, like none.

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I just jumped in tonight with white sorghum flour as a source of RS.

Someone mentioned they make RS "cookies" (not cooked, I think it was potato starch, eggs, butter). I made my own tonight with sorghum flour, butte, and a little honey. It was to good. I ate way more than the recommended 1 TBS for starting out. I hope it doesn't make me explode!!
    Sorghum flour pretty good RS source, about the same as dried plantains (50% RS by weight) but less than potato starch.
    Let those who have dyspepsia—and that means a multitude of ills which the American people in their luxurious habits are fast bringing upon themselves—try for a time the potato diet. We have tried it not for months, but a few days at a time—long enough to satisfy us of its good effects. Newspaper article from 1849

I'm a Vegan who eats meat, a Paleo who eats wheat, and I do fasts upon which you are allowed to eat.

Visit my blog: PotatoHack

Quote Originally Posted by Ryancarter1986 View Post
    My results from last 2weeks , which I have cooked , fridge overnight then reheated my carbs( potatoes rice) is that an increase in wind , during night and day, smell is pretty foul but not that bothered , I work outside so can just pass them by .
    Don't really notice any other effects , sleeping more easier .

I had my first tbsp of Potato starch , wait and see ..

From London England UK
    Wow , extreme gas . A little annoying and my room stinks !!!

May have to do tsp at a time.

How long till the gas slowly goes away ? If I gradually increase a tsp each week?

From London England UK

Yeah, the farting goes away, though. Since I just used potatoes I have no idea how much RS I was getting, but my initial dose was about 1/2 a small potato daily. Took about a week, then when the gas went away, I upped it to a whole potato. Of course, I wasn't refrigerating - so whatever starch was making it through, I don't know.
    The remainder is an unjustifiable, egotistical power struggle
    At the expense of the American dream, American dream
    Of the American

We don`t give a damn about your world
    With all your global profits
    And all your jeweled pearls
    We don`t give a damn about your world
    Right now, right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Yeah, the farting goes away, though. Since I just used potatoes I have no idea how much RS I was getting, but my initial dose was about 1/2 a small potato daily. Took about a week, then when the gas went away, I upped it to a whole potato. Of course, I wasn't refrigerating - so whatever starch was making it through, I don't know.
    Stools stinks and a little constipated also . Will up the water and peppermint tea.

From London England UK

Rofl. My room has developed a permanent potato gas smell too

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Shop Now
    I have in my kitchen tapioca starch, mung bean starch, glucomannan, and potato starch. Would it make sense to use a blend of those in making my cookie dough?