Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 23 of 54 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 536

Thread: Primal Potato Diet (PPD)

  1. #221
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    4,115
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I think it would work fine, but it'd just be a straight-up vegan whole-30 kind of deal. Nothing wrong with that, though. If you like to experiment, maybe try alternate days of just potatoes one day and added fruits/veggies the next and make observations on your hunger and such. There is no right and wrong to the PPD, a diet like you are describing would be sustainable for a lot longer than the standard PPD as put out by Tatertot on this thread.

    If I had known about the PPD when I started PB several years ago, I would have incorporated it until i got to my goal weight. I think alternate week PPD would be perfect, as long as the other week was super high quality Primal Blueprint and not a crap-fest cheat week...

    I would love to see you do an N=1 with potatoes and other plants and see how you do. I'm especially curious about the blood sugar aspect. If you have lots of strips, take glucose readings every 15 minutes for 3 hours after eating and plot on a chart, do this for 'only potatoes' and 'potatoes+stuff'. If you do this, it would also be cool to do it now, before you start, charting your primal blueprint glucose curve.

    Good luck!
    I don't think it would be a typical vegan diet, because vegans usually include a lot of nuts, seeds, avocados, soy, chocolate, and other high fat/protein sources. It would be closer to very low-fat vegan, but I think the satiety of the potato is key. Plus, the potassium aspect. You see I'm very willing to try this because I'm chronically low in potassium and other things due to my RX. So I take a prescription strength K supplement and it's still not enough. I've been experimenting with diet for literally years, trying to find things that are helpful. I try things and then incorporate things that work in my overall diet later on and avoid what made things worse.

    I think the potassium element of potatoes might strongly influence the positive results people are having, as studies show potassium supplementation improves blood glucose levels. So I think the success of this hack might be in the potassium and satiety factors. Just my speculation, of course.

    I'd be willing to do this for the 10 days before my birthday,12-12-12 just for giggles and to see how my body responds. If I have immediate negative side effects, I'd stop of course. But I've done high raw diets and all sorts of silly stuff. 10 days of foods I like to eat shouldn't be so terrible. I just had blood work the day before thanksgiving, including a fructosamine test. I will retest immediately after the 10 day plant and high potato diet.

    I know... This is not the right way to do the potato hack. I would consider this a spinoff option to add to the hack list if I find it helpful. Perhaps this might help someone else. I love experimenting with food!
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

    “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

  2. #222
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    4,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Wanted to post this over here, this was my comment over at freetheanimal.

    "TT, thanks for that post because somehow i missed the quote from Peter. I believe Ray said that our bodies have quite a bit of reserves when it comes to vitamins/minerals and it will scrounge what it needs. So becouse of this, i wonder if white rice would work just as well for 1-2 weeks. Maybe added soy sauce for a bit of sodium and protein. Its interesting because it would be even easier to eat nothing but rice, just have a cooker going 24-7 and grab a bowl when hungry."

    I thought this might be an interesting experiment. A rice cooker is so much more convenient then potatoes and im sure for millions of Asians, rice is mostly all they eat. I know white rice has a pathetic nutrient profile but since its only a week or two and the mechanisms dont seem to have much to do with nutrients, maybe this would work well.

    Any thoughts?
    Like I was saying about the potassium component, I think it might be a major factor. If you are a RP fan, I'd add in 100% orange juice to the all rice for potassium. I think that's why people following RP protocol may also have positive results. Plus, I think the carb aspect as well. When I do this little test, I'll have the OJ.

    I have problems digesting fats that my Paleo doctor is aware of, so she had to retract her advice to eat more fats when it drastically worsened my symptoms. I think my stomach would love a break from fats for a couple of weeks!
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

    “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

  3. #223
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,787
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    I know... This is not the right way to do the potato hack. I would consider this a spinoff option to add to the hack list if I find it helpful. Perhaps this might help someone else. I love experimenting with food!
    I have found on days that I intend to be all tator days, but I end up eating some little something else, I still make progress. So yal, I dont really consider I was doing the original hack, but I was still happy with my results
    65lbs gone and counting!!

    Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

  4. #224
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Wanted to post this over here, this was my comment over at freetheanimal.

    "TT, thanks for that post because somehow i missed the quote from Peter. I believe Ray said that our bodies have quite a bit of reserves when it comes to vitamins/minerals and it will scrounge what it needs. So becouse of this, i wonder if white rice would work just as well for 1-2 weeks. Maybe added soy sauce for a bit of sodium and protein. Its interesting because it would be even easier to eat nothing but rice, just have a cooker going 24-7 and grab a bowl when hungry."

    I thought this might be an interesting experiment. A rice cooker is so much more convenient then potatoes and im sure for millions of Asians, rice is mostly all they eat. I know white rice has a pathetic nutrient profile but since its only a week or two and the mechanisms dont seem to have much to do with nutrients, maybe this would work well.

    Any thoughts?
    I wondered if that was you on FTA this morning...

    When Otzi started this whole mess a few months ago, he recommended rice and/or potatoes, but everyone who did rice ended up overeating. I think it could be done, but you'd have to be mindful of the amount of rice you are eating. Rice has that amazing ability to soak in all the flavors of anything mixed with it (soy sauce, hot sauce, etc...) and taste wonderful. I think potatoes maybe retain their un-palatability factor, even when spiced.

    It would be neat to see someone try eating rice at about 50-75% of normal calories and see how it goes with hunger and weightloss.

  5. #225
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,021
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Like I was saying about the potassium component, I think it might be a major factor. If you are a RP fan, I'd add in 100% orange juice to the all rice for potassium. I think that's why people following RP protocol may also have positive results. Plus, I think the carb aspect as well. When I do this little test, I'll have the OJ.

    I have problems digesting fats that my Paleo doctor is aware of, so she had to retract her advice to eat more fats when it drastically worsened my symptoms. I think my stomach would love a break from fats for a couple of weeks!
    When I did the potato diet a few months ago for the first time, I hadn't eaten more than 100g of carbs nor less than 200g of fat daily for about 2 years. I was amazed how well I responded to several hundred g of carbs and 0g fat. I find RP interesting, and love reading him and Danny Roddy, but I'm doing so good on PB I can't see switching. Sounds like you found a good medium and is great you have a paleo doc that understands.

  6. #226
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    4,115
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I have found on days that I intend to be all tator days, but I end up eating some little something else, I still make progress. So yal, I dont really consider I was doing the original hack, but I was still happy with my results
    I plan to make the potato my entree or the dominant part of a meal. I do think its particular nutrional properties and satiety rating contribute to the success of this while in a deficit. I am sure it can be replicated with other foods and in combination, which I will find out, but not many foods have the satisfaction of the potato.

    I know when I eat a sweet potato it feels like any other veggie to me, pretty light and watery. White potatoes and other varieties of spuds feel dense. Same with white rice. Like a brick in the tummy!
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

    “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

  7. #227
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    1,750
    Jenn, if you haven't already, try cutting the sweet potato into rounds (1/2 inch thick) and then bake them in the oven on 400 for
    about 40 minutes, turning them over at the 20min mark.

    Or they may have to go for an hour - my oven completely sucks a$$ and doesn't hold its temperature, so I have
    to check on it frequently, but in a NORMAL OVEN, 40 minutes would work.

    I also buy nonstick foil - spendy, but works great.

    Anyway, the consistency of the baked sweet potato rounds are chewy on the outside, gooey on the inside.

    They give you way more chewing time and way more satiating power as you're eating them.

    Yesterday I cooked up a 1.5lb sweet potato, ate half of it at 1pm, and the other half while I was
    making my shredded waffle potatoes, five hours later, and that sweet potato was the only thing I'd
    had to eat all day besides my coffee at 6:30am.

    So try 'em that way, you may get addicted.....

    Julie

    p.s. and I'd totally be interested in your results eating potatoes plus the other stuff you listed.........

  8. #228
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    3
    I'm in (again) and starting tomorrow. Last time I only did 3 days, this time, I'm aiming for 7...so I'll be w/ you all who are starting the challenge on Monday.
    Last time I tried all different ways of eating the potatoes. This time, I've decided to keep it simple. I bought 8lbs of russet, 5lbs of gold yukons, and 1.5lbs of little reds. Prepping today - baking the russets now and just made a pretty yummy soup out of the gold yukons.
    But tonite.........filet mignon! Bon apetit everyone!

  9. #229
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    1,750
    Don't forget that you can cook potatoes in the crock pot.

    I put in two russets, 4 yukon golds and 3 sweet potatoes.

    In four hours, on high, they were all done at the same time and
    had a crapton of potatoes to get through. HAR!

  10. #230
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    4,115
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    When I did the potato diet a few months ago for the first time, I hadn't eaten more than 100g of carbs nor less than 200g of fat daily for about 2 years. I was amazed how well I responded to several hundred g of carbs and 0g fat. I find RP interesting, and love reading him and Danny Roddy, but I'm doing so good on PB I can't see switching. Sounds like you found a good medium and is great you have a paleo doc that understands.
    Definitely do what works for you in any combination! I'm testing it all out. I think it's important to find our individual formula but it sure is interesting to observe others and incorporate their ideas. Love hearing what others find to be true. Science is often unpredictable at the n=1 level. Sometimes you find a gem in an ocean of dirt, as far as information and diet ideology goes. With all the variables affecting the human body, I think there's far too much generalization occurring.

    By the way, my doctor wanted me doing lower carb high fat for a month. My FBG climbed higher throughout the duration and increased post-exercise and doing IF, and my digestive issues became unbearable. My postprandial ranges were mostly normal on lower carb but still high. My FBG has improved since increasing carbs, but I have unusual variables, such as a high dose thiazide prescription. Postprandial ranges are what's most important and mine vary greatly despite my carb intake. For instance, i had about 150g carb blowout in a meal last week and my 1hour PP was 96. Other days i test while fasting and it goes from 108 to 123 in a few hours without eating a thing. So this new data will be interesting for me.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

    “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •