Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I can't stop eating sugar!

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    Believe it or not, with time your brain will stop seeing these things as even being food. Not only will your tastes change after not eating sugar and crappy chemical laden food, but your brain will start to filter these things out as even being a food source. Crazy I know, but this is what I have found. I can go to a beautiful bakery and admire the beautiful looking treats, but have no desire to eat them. This is the real beauty behind the changes you make, but you need to give yourself enough time to change.
    This is true, and I experienced it for sure, but if you allow small slip ups to amount to bigger things you'll go right back. It truly does need to be treated very similarly to an addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddleglumish View Post
    Walk away from the sugar - go cold turkey.

I was addicted to the stuff for years, to the point where I would shovel it into my mouth straight out of the sugar bowl and could easily go back to it now.

I stopped by not eating anything with added sugar, sweet or savoury, for about 3 years and have had to cut it out for intervals since then. Tell people around you that you can not digest the stuff and scrutinise labels.

Good luck with it.
    I used to have sugar sandwiches when I was a kid...yum...same as jam really without the fruit...i also suffer from prolonged cravings and after a moment of weakness it takes me ages to wean myself back off the sugar again...

Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    Believe it or not, with time your brain will stop seeing these things as even being food. Not only will your tastes change after not eating sugar and crappy chemical laden food, but your brain will start to filter these things out as even being a food source. Crazy I know, but this is what I have found. I can go to a beautiful bakery and admire the beautiful looking treats, but have no desire to eat them. This is the real beauty behind the changes you make, but you need to give yourself enough time to change.
    I wish I had your willpower.....i see baked goods and remember how good they taste....i know at the time that they provide little benefit to me but I still want them and probably around 80%of the time I will give in.....i am going to do a whole 30 and go cold turkey again as it worked last year and I lost a few stones

I make little chocolates out of 1 part coconut oil, one part unsweetened cocoa powder, and liquid stevia to taste (plus whatever you want to add, like nuts, vanilla extract, salt), melt it all together, pour into candy mold or even a plastic container. It helps me with my sweet tooth, now that I am foregoing all sugar.

When not doing hard-core dieting, as I am doing now, I see no reason not to eat a tempting chocolate brownie or even two occasionally. The way I do it is to reward myself on certain week days and make sure to eat the sugar food just before bedtime. Doing that will usually get me a very good sleep and avoid further binging

This seems to be pretty common... sugar cravings and delayed carb flu about a month into primal. Maybe it's the body's last gasp before turning into a fat burner? I found the best way over this final hump is to STUFF MYSELF WITH FAT until I can't move. That'll show those genetics who's boss. Even if you gain a little bit, it's worth it to fix that metabolism.

But even after a year of primal, when I still get the sugar cravings, here's what works for me:

These babies just DRIP with fat -- you can see it. I microwave and eat two patties, and go do something else for 15 minutes. I totally forget about eating again until breakfast the next morning. There is a bit of sugar but not enough to matter.
    5'0" female, 44 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently keeping food tracker.

I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and should tweak Primal to their own needs.

Learn More
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    This seems to be pretty common... sugar cravings and delayed carb flu about a month into primal. Maybe it's the body's last gasp before turning into a fat burner? I found the best way over this final hump is to STUFF MYSELF WITH FAT until I can't move. That'll show those genetics who's boss. Even if you gain a little bit, it's worth it to fix that metabolism.

But even after a year of primal, when I still get the sugar cravings, here's what works for me:

These babies just DRIP with fat -- you can see it. I microwave and eat two patties, and go do something else for 15 minutes. I totally forget about eating again until breakfast the next morning. There is a bit of sugar but not enough to matter.
    I love it and do the exact same thing!

/lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.