Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36

Thread: My Offal Week :)

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    602
    Shop Now
    Curiosity piqued by this thread... I stumbled onto this. Figured I'd pass it along.

    Serious Eats: The Nasty Bits

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sterling, va
    Posts
    10
    I grew up eating a thick gelatinous gravy of goat's/cow's feet, a delicacy back in India. Every time I eat it nowadays, I distinctly feel an increase in energy levels, not to mention that it tastes so good. I get them from halal butchers, but also spotted them in Korean supermarkets.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,518
    Quote Originally Posted by vb66 View Post
    How did you get over your liver aversion? I gag at beef liver but have managed to down chicken livers (doused in spices, coconut flour, and then fried). Any tips?
    I find I like calves liver the best and then chicken liver. I am not exactly "over" my aversion, but can tolerate it now without gagging.

    I soak the liver in apple cider vinegar for a few minutes, rinse, cut in to very small cubes and dredge in a curry spice mixture. I fry it in very hot ghee until it is crispy brown - but don't leave it in so long that it get too brown. Then I serve it tossed in a mixture of freshly chopped cilantro, lemon juice, and sea salt. I always eat it was big slices of jicama. The fresh taste of the jicama between bites of liver sort of resets my palate. I think the acidity of the lemon/cilantro mixture really helps.

    Good luck
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

    http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    OMG, I absolutely love the idea of chicken hearts on skewers! That's one mean Valentine Day treat!
    What a funny idea! It would be pretty clever for valentines day. I made mine in an asian marinade with coconut aminos (instead of soy), rice vinegar, a little brandy, a pinch of brown sugar, fresh chopped garlic, and fresh ginger. I marinaded them over night and served them with hot sauce. All of them were gone!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

    http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,988
    Quote Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
    Regarding the chicken hearts, do y'all trim anything (like grisle or hard fat/veins) or are they go as is?
    Nope. I rinse them in warm water, which allows some of the attached fat to detach from the heart (I eat CAFO chicken heart) which helps a little.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,518
    Quote Originally Posted by lorichka6 View Post
    Curiosity piqued by this thread... I stumbled onto this. Figured I'd pass it along.

    Serious Eats: The Nasty Bits
    Wow - what a great resource! I'm bookmarking that for future reference. I had never heard of grilling beef tongue. Looks interesting.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

    http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,518
    Quote Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
    Regarding the chicken hearts, do y'all trim anything (like grisle or hard fat/veins) or are they go as is?
    The recipe I have says to remove the fat and the veins. The chicken hearts I bought were already cleaned pretty well - a couple had a little fat I had to trim, but all the obvious veins were gone. I was happy because it seems like it would take a lot of time to clean all those hearts!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

    http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I find I like calves liver the best and then chicken liver. I am not exactly "over" my aversion, but can tolerate it now without gagging.

    I soak the liver in apple cider vinegar for a few minutes, rinse, cut in to very small cubes and dredge in a curry spice mixture. I fry it in very hot ghee until it is crispy brown - but don't leave it in so long that it get too brown. Then I serve it tossed in a mixture of freshly chopped cilantro, lemon juice, and sea salt. I always eat it was big slices of jicama. The fresh taste of the jicama between bites of liver sort of resets my palate. I think the acidity of the lemon/cilantro mixture really helps.

    Good luck
    Thanks, I'm going to try this!

  9. #29
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    This is a great cookbook if you ever bought some offal with good intentions but then get it home and think, "What in the heck am I supposed to do with this?"

    Amazon.com: Odd Bits: How to Cook the Rest of the Animal (9781580083348): Jennifer McLagan, Leigh Beisch: Books

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    10,514
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    You recently posted a thread about going to the Asian market and seeing offal, right? I suggest you look there for chicken hearts, because that's where I get all of mine
    I just looked at the ethnic market (it's mostly Mexican) and all they had were chicken gizzards. I tried cooking and eating one of those and it was too tough. I suppose there's a trick to it but I don't know what it is. Then they had pork kidney but I'm afraid to try that because I read somewhere that sometimes it tastes like a bus station. They also had all kinds of pork bits--heart, feet, tails, tongues--but I guess I'm not ready for any of that (or in the mood for a large heart). So I bought fresh chilled chicken liver and pork belly at Whole Foods instead. I'll keep looking for chicken hearts. Someday I'll get lucky.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •