Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: best bread option for nonpaleo family members

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric View Post
    If you MUST have bread in the house (????), make a homemade loaf. They are ridiculously easy to make and this way, you can control what's in it.
    Yes, we must have bread in the house. I'm the only one Paleo though my kids are eating on plan most of the time whether they know it or not but I not going to force my kids to go on it 100 percent. They are very active and extremely fit, 2 of them are teens, so they get some more options here than mom. I do have a breadmaker, it's quite an old one though but should still work. Do you know of a paleo loaf recipe that I could throw in a breadmaker? I probably won't make it regularly though depends on how expensive, and how kids like it. I am busy working mom of three and I want to spend my time on the main meals mostly and need to keep in budget.
    Last edited by cavequeen; 07-10-2012 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bork Bork View Post
    Sprouted grain breads are probably a good option (along with home baked & gluten free). Hubby refuses to give up bread, but I got him to switch from SaraLee to Jack Sprat sprouted bread.
    I will look for it, thanks. I wish they just liked sourdough but since I like it, it's probably better they don't!

Ezekiel bread tastes like Axl Rose's rectum. Don't feed it to people who don't already eat it regularly or you're likely to get slapped, and with good reason.

Get some artisan sourdough bread. UDI's san francisco sourdough is the best, if they carry it in your area.
    The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

I just get fresh Sourdough loaves at Whole Foods. 4 ingredients and my kids love it.

Quote Originally Posted by bob loblaw View Post
    I just get fresh Sourdough loaves at Whole Foods. 4 ingredients and my kids love it.
    Again, thanks for the sourdough suggestions but my kids and DH hate it! I will see about checking the bakery sale rackets more for fresh bread that just went on sale.

I just stopped buying it. They will adapt. Rice, tators, and fruit are fine for replacements.

Bake homemade bread using einkorn wheat flour. Amazon sells it under the Jovial brand. Yes, it's wheat, but it's an ancient biblical strain that doesn't have the same genetics or bad proteins or addictive gliadin that the modern dwarf hybrid wheat does.

Or you could try emmer (farro). Amazon sells the berries, not sure about the flour.

Wikipedia has a lot of info on emmer and einkorn.

I've never tried it, so tell us how it goes.
    5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

I have been doing better with my teens and other family members. They have eating rice, sweet potatoes, white corn tortillas more for their starchs. They still do eat bread sometimes but I switched to one with 7 grains and less wheat and bakery fresh ciabatta bread.

I have making paleo meals and just adding sides for them. They have been snacking on fruit, hard boiled eggs for snacks. My one who is more of a sugar addict has greatly reduced his sugar sneaking. They are not consuming as much milk as I refuse to spend a ton of money on it and my youngest drinks too much milk anyway. So all in all I feel good with the gradual changes. It helps that we have never bought that much junk and always focused on veggies over grains.

They are all quite thin and fit so I don't want to limit them too much. Maybe I will buy more cream so they can have that with fruit to up their fat consumption though they do get olive oil or coconut oil when I cook meals and butter or mayo on their breads.

Now to convert my DH as he is seeing my weight come off, I think he is becoming more motivated. Giving up alcohol will be his big one though he has reduced his consumption along with less smoking which seem to go together for him. He has always been more of meat, potato guy anyway and as always hated wheat. He has way upped his exercise though so I have seen good changes from that alone the last 6 months.

We buy a gluten free style bread from a local bakery for our lacto-veggie daughter. At 3 she seems okay with but, would go back to regular in a instant if I had it in the house. lol. I'm convinced wheat is one of the issues that flares up her ezcema, bad.

This one we have though cost $9.50/loaf and is made with Quinoa and amaranth.

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by labmonkey View Post
    We buy a gluten free style bread from a local bakery for our lacto-veggie daughter. At 3 she seems okay with but, would go back to regular in a instant if I had it in the house. lol. I'm convinced wheat is one of the issues that flares up her ezcema, bad.

This one we have though cost $9.50/loaf and is made with Quinoa and amaranth.
    I have one child with Mild ADD ( the reformed sugar, sweetener sneaker) but the other two don't have any issues really. Though years ago one had some mild rash on one leg and both ankles kind of like eczema but has since gone away in his teen years. I would like to move to gluten free I am going to have to experiment with different ones but at least they like white corn tortillas ( that's gluten free usually right?)