Page 36 of 81 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does Danny Roddy recommend sugar to reduce stress/estrogen?

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by They call me BUTTLOCK View Post
    Are you using the gelatin sold normally in stores, or something like this:: Great Lakes Unflavored Gelatin, Kosher: Grocery & Gourmet Food.

I have 4 canisters of those, and after using a bit ... I don't think they would work in your recipe, haha. Very stinky, not exactly flavorless.
    Yes, I use Great Lakes. There are 2 kinds. The orange can is regular gelatin, which is used in things like marshmallows and jello (both of which I make on occasion). The green can is hydrolyzed and doesn't gum up. So, you can add it to cold liquid as a protein powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Hmmm. "Eat six times a day to keep your metabolism up". Seems I've heard that somewhere before.............
    It's irrelevant how many times one eats per day. I ate 6 times a day when eating paleo and SAD. I do have days where I only eat 3 times, but most of the time it's 5 or 6. I feel better that way no matter the diet.

Quote Originally Posted by They call me BUTTLOCK View Post
    My goal is weight loss, but I have some other issues (basically every symptom of PCOS except the period thing).

Is that how you guys did it? You just kinda came up with a number and tested? If you maintained, you created a deficit to lose?
    Sorry, I can't really help with weight loss, since that's not what I'm aiming of or have really achieved. I lost about 5kg of water weight when I first went low carb, and since then have lost about 10kg in a year, which I think is pretty slow. However, I've taken about 15cm off my waist (my current newest belt is too big, boo hoo) and my bodyfat has gone from about 27% to 21%.

To all the random pro-salt comments: I have noticed that I now salt my food quite prodigiously (I NEVER used to salt my food pre-primal). What's the science or explanation behind that? Any links to share?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by bopfer View Post
    Yes, I use Great Lakes. There are 2 kinds. The orange can is regular gelatin, which is used in things like marshmallows and jello (both of which I make on occasion). The green can is hydrolyzed and doesn't gum up. So, you can add it to cold liquid as a protein powder.
    Oh crap, I knew that and forgot. Ha, thanks.

(and thanks to all answering my questions. i appreciate it ... a lot)

Paleobird Guest
    It's irrelevant how many times one eats per day. I ate 6 times a day when eating paleo and SAD. I do have days where I only eat 3 times, but most of the time it's 5 or 6. I feel better that way no matter the diet.
    The relevance is that, with a fat burning metabolism which one gets by eating on the Primal plan, you don't *need* to eat so often. It is easy to skip the snacks entirely and even skip meals while maintaining stable blood sugar and energy levels.

The relevance is that, with a fat burning metabolism which one gets by eating on the Primal plan, you don't *need* to eat so often. It is easy to skip the snacks entirely and even skip meals while maintaining stable blood sugar and energy levels.
    Didn't work for me and many people I know. And I stuck to it for a long time thinking "Any day now, I will be fat adapted". BS. There's no such thing. Not in today's world at least. Running on fat is stressful. That on top of our modern, stressful life is a recipe for disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    To all the random pro-salt comments: I have noticed that I now salt my food quite prodigiously (I NEVER used to salt my food pre-primal). What's the science or explanation behind that? Any links to share?
    Basically, salt is anti-stress, anti-inflammatory and pro-thyroid. You can check out Peat's article: Salt, energy, metabolic rate, and longevity

Or read Matt Stone's summary:
    Ray Peat – Salt – 180 Degree Health

And before anyone (PaleoBird, I am looking at you) goes off on Matt Stone, I am not endorsing him. He just did a pretty good series of posts in May 2011 summarizing Peat's ideas

Didn't work for me and many people I know. And I stuck to it for a long time thinking "Any day now, I will be fat adapted". BS. There's no such thing. Not in today's world at least. Running on fat is stressful. That on top of our modern, stressful life is a recipe for disaster.
    Hmmmm....I used to get shaky, sweaty, nauseous and desperate to eat when I missed a meal before going primal. Now, when I am eating properly I can sometimes easily go 16 hours without even thinking about food. I know which one was more stressful for my body for sure.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Hmmmm....I used to get shaky, sweaty, nauseous and desperate to eat when I missed a meal before going primal. Now, when I am eating properly I can sometimes easily go 16 hours without even thinking about food. I know which one was more stressful for my body for sure.
    That was on a SAD diet though, right? I would say it's the PUFA+sugar combo that causes those issues (plus possible genetic traits). I can easily go 16 hours(dinner to lunch) if I need to, even on a Peat diet. I have done it several times when needing to fast for a blood draw. But, I am not going to put my body through that stress any more than I have to.

Shop Now
    I agree with this. Before primal I used to graze all day - I was constantly eating and always wanted food. Now if I wait for myself to get truly hungry before eating, I'd have to wait around 40 hrs and even then I don't feel like I need to eat.