Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anxiety

Shop Now
    Meditation and positive affirmations help perk me up.

Affirmations - Positive Words for Improving Your Life

I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder last year (age 21), but through talk therapy, realized it was actually sub-clinical social anxiety. I was put on an SSRI by my MD, but I didn't really found it ever helped with the anxiety (it did clear up some depressive symptoms I had though). Any real relief I found was through a combination of CBT and mindfulness based therapy, where you pay attention to the anxiety rather than trying to stuff it down and ignore it. Being aware of the anxiety in the moment it happens helps the CBT along too, because its easier to pinpoint what is really the source of the anxiety. Just over a year later, I'm coming off my antidepressant and feel more confident than ever. I would definitely recommend the CBT approach, especially if you can find a therapist you can really trust and that won't take your bullshit excuses not to do the homework.

The best thing to try supplement wise for stress and depression and you don't want to take "meds " for it is red reishi mushroom, it works wonders at assisting your body at balancing it out so it runs properly as it is meant to. It has helped me a lot with my stress/ depresion levels since my job loss and the months of working to when I knew I no longer would be working any more. It has also assisted with my poor sleep, chemical sensitivity and keeps me in a more mellowed mood

Hey! I was just wondering how it's been since you started this thread. I see it's been about 4 years, and I'm going through the same situation right now... So... I guess my question is... What works? Do you ever become "anxiety-free"? Or 100% happy and not depressed? Or is it true what they say that you battle with depression forever and you never ACTUALLY recover from it?

I would really like to read your experiences... Just to know what to expect and so

Personally, the medication I am on is invaluable and I would not trade it for any "drug free" treatment at this time. Wellbutrin treats my depression and Adderall treats my anxiety & ADHD. I didn't realize the anxiety & ADHD were so connected until I got diagnosed with ADHD and tried medication for it.

I tried a lot of different supplements and ways of eating for years to try and "heal" my mental illness. Maybe it's possible. Maybe I "did it wrong". All that matters to me right now is that I am not struggling to get by every day and have a lot of hope and dreams for the future. Maybe someday I'll try something else again, but I personally have 0 issues with someone using prescription medication to treat mental illness.
    Depression Lies

Thanks Namless! I tried to find your journal but couldn't. I wanted to know what you went through. Most people have told me the same: "it's a little rough until you get correct diagnosis/medication but trust the process you'll get there". Honestly, I'm hating every bit of it.

Anyway so, changing my diet may or may not work for me. I get it. Thanks! Btw I love your hair

Oh sorry I have an insane history but I deleted my original journal a while ago. Yeah, finding a good provider (doctor) can be really hard and the waiting bllooowwwwsss

Long story short: depression started kicking in around 14 yrs old, struggled with self-injury through high school, attempted suicide just before 16th bday and enjoyed two weeks in a partial hospitalization program at the end of my sophomore year of high school whoooo. I was on a bunch of different SSRI medications over the years and they never made me feel like *myself* but at least I wasn't depressed. I never found they helped a lot with my anxiety TBH. In college, I weaned off of everything and went on and off SSRIs for a while. I tried the whole diet and exercise thing with paleo and... Yeah I don't know. I tried a ton of supplements too like 5-HTP. Maybe it works, but it ultimately was not enough for me. Last year in the summer, I started to get really depressed for no reason and it started getting worse and worse. I said "Fine, it's bad enough, I'll go seek medication again even though I don't want to." That was the start of something good/bad... The first doctor I saw was not a good match for me but I was too down and out to realize it. She put me on something that made me feel so exhausted that it made my depression worse. I told her I'd had idle thoughts about overdosing on my medication (I mean...it's a thing that happens when you're depressed. it doesn't mean you are going to act on it. it's something I've always dealt with). Because that's how I attempted suicide before, she said she was going to make me go to a psych ward.

No option. No discussion. I'm still really pissed off thinking about it and it's almost been a year since then. 5 days there. It really wasn't that bad, though I think it was absolutely not necessary. It did kind of help get me out of a funk until the Wellbutrin kicked in (only about 2 weeks, fastest option out there that I know of) and then I transferred to a doctor that I really click with. I really value his input and opinion and feel like he respects me and also has my best interests in mind. He's the one who suggested the ADHD testing. I'm a mild inattentive case, but the reduction in my anxiety from the Adderall has been amazing. It's like my thoughts were hyperactive before so I couldn't focus on anything and had lots of background thoughts about "what if people are watching me do something wrong and judging me" but now they're vastly reduced.

Feel free to PM me.
    Depression Lies

Anxiety

Wow! It's like you just described my last 6 years, specially the last 18 months. My gooood, I can't wait for it to be over but I feel it's just warming up... Thanks. Based on all I read here over the past few days I decided to try CBT as well, got an apointment for next week. And got to pick up blood test results tomorrow. At least I know what to look for now.

I was diagnosed with adhd when I was 12, but they said it would be "cured" (is that the correct word?) by the time I finished high-school. I mentioned it to all the doctors that treated me over the last year, but none of them think it's relevant. It's like it's not a "grown ups condition" in this country.

Hey, thank you! You've been through so much. I'm glad you are better. Thank you for sharing it with me.
    Last edited by Pitu; 09-01-2016 at 07:33 PM.

Shop Now
    There's a lot of people who say that kids diagnosed with ADHD will grow out of it. Since it is a matter of brain chemistry, I suppose that's possible, but that's not to say that it couldn't be a factor to mental illness as an adult. That history is important and I'm sorry that your doctors are so dismissive. There are a lot of articles out there that explore the connection between depression, anxiety, and ADHD. I found them really interesting. There's no real answer with how to deal with it all, other than treating all of them in whatever way works for you.

By the way, the book The Mood Cure was one that I focused heavily on when I started trying non-prescription treatments for depression. I did feel like it helped, but I'll be honest, I feel way better now than I did then.

<3
    Depression Lies