Page 533 of 926 FirstFirst ... 33433483523531532533534535543583633 ... LastLast
Results 5,321 to 5,330 of 9258

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change?

Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change?

Shop Now
    Isn't o-3 a PUFA?

I get cramps when I eat meat & fruit too close together. Also medjool dates (too many of them) cause me pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

I wish my parents had pushed me more towards independence. Jobs for high schoolers were pretty rare in my area, but my town is very middle (and middle-upper) class. It didn't even occur to me to get a job until I was in college. Then I lucked out, as I got a work study job on campus and ended up in the highest paying student job by graduation . I am very proud of that fact! I don't feel so impressive now.

Pardon super-close photo & perpetually messy hair. I put on a little eye-liner today. I feel like experimenting with make-up. I rubbed my eyes once already, but seems to be no damage.

Food (yest)
    -eggs in coconut oil, apple cider, tea w/ supplements in AM (l-glutamine, collagen hydrosylate, slippery elm, mashmallow root, Iodine, Vit D, Allegra, Biotin)
    -chicken soup, orange, medjool dates for lunch
    -raw carrot & plum after work
    -apple cider (w/ l-glutamine & collagen hydrosylate), chicken sausages, butternut squash w/ coconut oil & cinnamon for dinner

BM - Type 5/6 twice yesterday between dinner & bedtime.

Heartburn - after lunch & returned again in the evening. I have more this morning & left the DGL tablets at home .

Hulky and I made a trip to the pharmacy last night and got him some of those throat-numbing lozenges after speaking with the pharmacist. I forgot about those throat-numbing things! Pro/con to not getting sick like this for YEARS. Hulky definitely got the super bug version of my cold. Funny, because it usually works the other way around (I get his).

Sleep - I took a GABA Calm and managed to fall asleep sometime after 11, once my brain winded down. I slept in the other bed so Hulky wouldn't be disturbed. I woke up around 3 AM and found him watching TV, and I switched to the other bed. I slept through till my alarm (but could feel myself waking up a bit before it went off) and Hulky hadn't come to bed until around 5. I straggled this morning and didn't have time to use the neti pot.

I am still kind of snotty from my cold, but it's a little better every day.

My never-ending grocery list: more meat, chicken (stopped by Whole Foods last night for pet food, they didn't have the air-chilled chickens that I like), bananas

I'm thinking of eliminating this chicken soup lunch altogether, but not sure what to replace it with. Maybe I should get in on this canned oyster business.

Brain - Over the past couple of days, I've been thinking about writing out more details of my overdose... There are specific moments & memories I have about that night & my time at the mental hospital day program that I don't think I've ever written down. Even if no one else ever sees it, I think I'd like to have those details recorded somewhere.

I'm trying to think of me-friendly snack foods for our Halloween party. Maybe shrimp cocktail!
    Last edited by namelesswonder; 10-16-2013 at 07:04 AM.
    Journal
    Current interests - Starting Strength (reading it very slowly)

Depression Lies

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    Isn't o-3 a PUFA?

I get cramps when I eat meat & fruit too close together. Also medjool dates (too many of them) cause me pain.
    Yes, it is. I am torn between the paleo thoughts on o-3 and o-6 balance (being good) and the idea that ALL PUFAs are bad. I know that supplementing o-3 never did anything noticeable for me, at least.

So do you eat meat-centric and fruit-centric meals, as in, separate occasions? I'm confused about this whole food combining thing.
    Journal

Depression Lies

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Yes, it is. I am torn between the paleo thoughts on o-3 and o-6 balance (being good) and the idea that ALL PUFAs are bad. I know that supplementing o-3 never did anything noticeable for me, at least.

So do you eat meat-centric and fruit-centric meals, as in, separate occasions? I'm confused about this whole food combining thing.
    So PUFA is "all bad" but if you ate tons of o-6 you should cut down inflammation immediately with o-3.

Peat peeps just stop eating nuts, chicken, fatty fish, and pork. I have also cut out avocado, olive oil, etc. Basically I cut out all plant fats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Interesting. Sounds like an "emergency" stash of some canned fish thing that is high in omega-3 might be a good idea. Blargh, but eating only pastured eggs, lean fish (what fish would be lean anyway? shellfish?), and red meats is definitely too expensive.
    Journal

Depression Lies

canio6 Guest
    (what fish would be lean anyway? shellfish
    I think most white fish is considered lean - cod, flounder, tilapia (if you can find non-farmed polluted crap) and the like. Shellfish is expensive, though I think Derp eats canned oysters which may be more affordable.

I may try these canned oysters. Something about it immediately sounds awful, so I'm really hoping it is not.
    Journal

Depression Lies

canio6 Guest
    I may try these canned oysters. Something about it immediately sounds awful, so I'm really hoping it is not.
    Which is why I have not tried them either. The only fish I can get around here is from very questionable sources so canned might be a better option. There is just something about canned seafood that is a turnoff though.

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    There is just something about canned seafood that is a turnoff though.
    Yeah, I don't know what it is! I've enjoyed tuna/albacore etc. in the past. Hell, my lunch for quite some time was a can of sardines in olive oil with some fruit! Actually, that was a really good lunch, I just got tired of sardines after a while. I can certainly get fresh fish around here, from good sources too, but at prices like $16.99/lb?!
    Journal

Depression Lies

Learn More
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    That's Chock o' full of nuttiness, NW. Keep it simple:

1. Eat omegas from whole food sources (fish, nuts, grass-fed beef, etc.).
    2. Avoid refined industrial oils that boost omega 6 levels.
    3. But don't worry about "balancing" omega 3 and omega 6, just make sure you're eating quality foods.
    4. Supplementing omega 3s should be beside the point, if you are eating well. There are also issues with oxidation and rancidity of supplements, stripped of antioxidants like vitamin E that would naturally accompany in whole foods.
    Well, I'm not eating well . I don't eat quality foods, period, aside from organic fruits & veg because they are so much cheaper per pound than mean. Right now, I'm in a mental trap of "want to eat well despite the cost just to see if it helps" and "omg I don't know if we're going to be on one income next month & I feel guilty about buying ANYTHING".

So. Not sure how to find balance.
    Journal

Depression Lies