Thanks everybody for the words of encouragement. I just stumbled upon this old post (I love how there is SO much to read here, it really keeps me motivated) and it really helped: [url=http://www.marksdailyapple.com/will-momentary-compromises-derail-your-efforts/#axzz2T06yLjS0]Will Momentary Compromises Derail Your Efforts? | Mark's Daily Apple[/url]
Awok, I've always done exactly what you talk about. After about a week on a diet, I mess up and then go off on some carb binge because what's the point if I'm not perfect? Balance has always been a challenge for me. It's kind of sad that it's taken me until my 40s to realize that steady progress is better than daily perfectionism, but I think it has finally sunk in. And I will stick with it. I started to feel motivated again yesterday and looked up some recipes to make for next week.
I felt way better after having my salad last night, and a smoothie this morning. Now off to exercise class and then some home improvement.
Oh, and I should say -- I live alone and also work from home, which is great because I can make good meals all the time, but bad because I have no accountability to anyone. Which is why I think this forum will be helpful.
[U]Week 1 recap[/U]
In the spirit of finding the positive about this journey, I should summarize my first primal week:
- My perioral dermatitis has improved considerably. (This is a symmetrical acne-like rash around the nose, chin, and forehead that has no clear etiology.) My forehead is almost completely clear, chin about 75% clear, nose (which is the worst) about 50% clear. This is such a relief.
- My scalp psoriasis has possibly, slightly improved. (I could be imagining this, but it feels less itchy and I've had to use less of my topical med.)
- I lost about 4.5 pounds and my face looks thinner.
- My bowels are normal now. (Grains were the culprit?)
- I haven't snacked mindlessly in the evenings at all.
- No wild food cravings.
- My energy level is CRAZY. I've been waking up, refreshed and with energy, at 6, 6:30 am! This is very unusual for me.
- My mood has lifted enormously.
I have to remember these changes down the road should I ever lose motivation.
On to week 2 ...
Wow, SSlim, great improvements in just one week, so pleased for you. Keep it up!
I have been pleasantly surprised to discover that cooking primal is actually very simple. I just made a simple Ina Garten recipe of chicken thighs with a honey, tamari, ginger, and garlic marinade. Combined with some steamed broccoli and mashed potato/cauliflower, it was just the comfort foot I needed today.