the gowearfit likely gives more precise info than the fitbit, but the fitbit gives me what I need, and I had a problem with the idea of a monthly subscription fee, to DH monthly fees drive him way crazier than just paying a bigger price and being done with it. I don't want it to tell me calories burned because I don't believe it or use that info in calculating what I eat. Steps and sleep is all I care about. I have no idea how the fitbit knows I am awake versus just turning over, but it does. I have had nights (unfortunately very rare) where I have slept through without a wake up, and I know that I changed positions during the night because I take off my headphones in my sleep and wake up facing DH instead of away from him.
gotta love a 3 day weekend!
The cool thing about the calories burned and the exercise METS, is that you can clearly see when you metabolism is firing up and what causes that. Since I exercise a lot, it is a good thing to know. In addition Most BMR calculators put my avg cals burned while just sitting around at 2400. The truth is on a lazy day, I actually burn only 2100-2300 cals. Since I do believe calories count in some ways, this information is important to me.
The fitbit did not exist when I got my GWF. I might have considered the FB otherwise, I still consider the $7.00 to be worth the extra perks that I get from my device.
This conversation will be helpful for others who are deciding between the two.
No 3-day weekend for me :(. Enjoy yours! Glad you got some good sleep.
I'm curious about those wake-up periods overnight. Do you remember consciously waking at those times, or is more of a reading of your body coming out of a certain state, but you might not be consciously awake?
Ooh, a 3-day weekend. I'm envious! Have fun.
Oh, I definitely agree that calories do count in some way. I think for me, it would make me obsessive. Also, since I don't work out, there is less info to be had for me. It definitely depends on what you are looking to find out. At least with the GoWearFit you have the info if you want to use it later, the fitbit is not ever going to give you the metabolism info (at least not in its current iteration). Truthfully for me, the monthly fee was the deciding factor. I am sure it is worth it, but DH pays the bills and a monthly fee would have drove him nuts, which in turn would have trickled down to me, and that would not be worth it!
p.s. on the waking up during the night...for me 99% of the time I just remember I had a dream, because I usually wake right in the middle, the other 1% I actually remember waking up and turning over or something.
Given that both devices are about the same price, I will probably go with the one that offers me more, even if it also includes a monthly fee (I'm sure there's probably a way to pay a yearly due instead of paying monthly). Right now I am really interested in my sleep quality, but accurate calories would be interesting too. And it would probably motivate me to get up and move more to bring my calories expenditure up, much like a pedometer used to so i could see how high I could get my steps.
In comparison, Body Bugg does not do sleep patterns from what I saw online.
Irregardless, Brad and I need to be a freer place financially before I can justify the expense - even for a fitbit with no subscription fee.
ACC. to GWF I was having at least one period per night where it felt that I was awake. I even asked my husband if I was sleep walking. On the graph sleep is black, laying down is grey and awake is white. I wish I could show you guys. Maybe I can save it as a picture. I was not conscious of being awake during the awake periods
The last 2 nights with 5htp, I have had no awake periods.
We'll see if I win. I just bid on an open box, seemingly unused, Link.
I just got my fitbit back (left it at moms over the holidays). I really want to examine my sleep patterns besides my steps.
It's Saturday again. Last Sat I binged after 12 clean days.
Today I have worked the plan so that I have more food available for the afternoon. I also made sure I was hydrated before, during and after the workout which amazingly burned 419 cals according to my GWF monitor.
I have made plans for the day which include pampering and fun and maybe even a nap.
It could be a dangerous day because my husband is at work which makes binging easier, but I do not feel anxious as I did last week. Could be the 5htp at work as well. Sleep and mood are improving.