Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: alternating starting strength and PBF?

alternating starting strength and PBF?

Shop Now
    So tell me how crazy this sounds. I get bored with doing the same workout week after week. I'm talking, I get bored after a month. I've tried both SS and PBF and I like them, just get bored. My goal is just general health and fitness - want to feel good playing soccer once a week and keep up with my kids - I have some weight to lose.

Would trading between PBF and SS on a monthly basis make any sense?

Based on your goals... think something like this would be fine.

Mon - Squats, Bench, Deadlift or Squat, Overhead press, Cleans (alternate each week)
    Tues - Walk
    Wed - Hill Sprints
    Thurs - Walk
    Fri - PBF
    Weekend - soccer, kids, etc... stay active.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999 View Post
    Based on your goals... think something like this would be fine.

Mon - Squats, Bench, Deadlift or Squat, Overhead press, Cleans (alternate each week)
    Tues - Walk
    Wed - Hill Sprints
    Thurs - Walk
    Fri - PBF
    Weekend - soccer, kids, etc... stay active.
    I already have a schedule in mind. I play soccer Wed nights and have more time to workout weekends than weekdays, so it wouldn't look like that. What I was thinking was more like Aug = PBF (Th/Sat/Mon), Sprint Sun, Soccer Wed. Sept = SS (Th/Sat/Mon), Soccer Wed. Then back to PBF in October. This would suit getting bored better than having the same schedule every week. But will I see any results by switching each month?

I don't really have any advice. But I do know rippetoe will haunt you down.

But i think it's fine if you don't really focus soley on getting stronger
    well then

Btw, why don't you switch each week? I think it will bring better results
    well then

Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    Btw, why don't you switch each week? I think it will bring better results
    I was figuring sticking with one thing for a month would produce better results. And that's about how long before I get bored.

I think you'd be better with a mix per week. 1 strength day with the iron, one bodyweight for mid range reps, and the sprint day...

I think you'd be better with a mix per week. 1 strength day with the iron, one bodyweight for mid range reps, and the sprint day...
    +1. This works great.

Can you explain why this would be better? I would think this would lead to just no increase in strength. But doing a program for a month and then a complementary one for a month would build strength/fitness within each month.

Shop Now
    I think you would be best just really sticking with a program despite yourself. That's what every single respectable strength and fitness trainer says. My guess is that doing it your way will be significantly slower and less efficient. YAYOG is a respectable program with a lot of variety built-in, so is Maximum Strength by Eric Kressey, to name two that are more "interesting" than SS or PBF. The most "boring" program I can think of is Dan John's 40 day.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/