Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I was trying to tell a friend about paleo/primal...

So I was trying to tell a friend about paleo/primal...

Shop Now
    ...and she said "one does not need to eat so much fat because we can make our own fatty acids from sugar"??

Is she barking mad? This is the first time I've come across this excuse before...

If I have the basic understanding correct. Triglycerides is a measurement of sugars being turned into fats. It isn't the best way to get your fats imho. I would think its more about pure survival as opposed to healthy, any fat is better than no fat. If you get dietary fats, then you can get the saturated fats, the O3's and mono's. But she will probably not be convinced by the likes of this keyboard warrior. My suggestion would be to show her some published research and if she still doesn't believe. Then let it go.

It has become my understanding that if we consume the right amount of fat each day then our bodies do not feel the need to produce it. When our bodies produce fat from sugar it invariably locks it into storage somewhere inconvenient for use later. My experience has been that fat never comes out of storage, only more is added. Once I cut sugar almost completely from my diet and started to consume more fat did that stored fat finally start coming out of storage. Did that make sense? This is how I explained it to a friend of mine who just recently decided to go paleo. However some people will not understand it because they don't want to give up their addictions. They may have to hit absolute rock bottom before they are ready to hear you.
    I'm a 39 y/o mother of 3 sons ages 12, 14, and 15
    HT: 5'7"
    SW: 223 June 2012
    CW: 191.4 April 21 2013
    TWL2D: 32 lbs

Primal Goals: to feel healthier, fitter, and sexier than ever before

Favourite primal resources: The Food Lovers Make it Paleo cookbook, Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo, The Food Lovers Kitchen, Primal Kitchen: A Family Grokumentary and of course Mark's Daily Apple!

Yes, and it gets deposited around people's abdomen, rear, hips, and thighs.

You can't explain to those who, despite no knowledge, believe themselves to be right. It's counterproductive. Just live your life and be a picture of health. Most people will say you are lucky but some will ask you how you do it. The fewer people who understand the more nutritious food is available for those that do. Let them eat cake.

How much fat did you say?
    What does she mean by sugar? ( table sugar & sweets? Or fruit, starches, other carbs?)
    How much 'sugar'?

You got an interesting response and the conversation just stopped?

Technically we need very little dietary fat because we can produce saturated fat when needed; something like 1g dietary per day for basic survival. Don't confuse technical with optimal, though. Just like we technically don't need dietary carbs, it doesn't always translate to optimal.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Technically we need very little dietary fat because we can produce saturated fat when needed; something like 1g dietary per day for basic survival. Don't confuse technical with optimal, though. Just like we technically don't need dietary carbs, it doesn't always translate to optimal.
    Well, golly, j3nn, this is a totally logical, rational post.

Shop Now
    People will get into trouble when calories from fat goes below 10 % of total ingested calories...