Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal in the UK - bacon sandwiches without the sandwich...

Primal in the UK - bacon sandwiches without the sandwich...

Shop Now
    I've been toying with the idea of writing one of these for a few weeks now, ever since I bit the bullet and decided to embrace the Primal WOE/WOL... It's not easy in the UK - primal/paleo is still a really, really niche interest (even more so than in the US) and fellow travellers are hard to find. I'd been treading a LC path for a while and enjoying it, but felt as if I needed to branch out a little; make it more about life and not just about food. So, MDA and the PB brought me here!

Sleep, play, sunshine (not much of that here!) and super-delicious, amazing food. What's not to like? This is the point where I admit I'm pretty lazy and still not fully on board with the whole exercise thing - even though I know how great it will make me feel; fitting it in... aaargh. But I see planks in my future...

I work fulltime, I have a young son (9yo) who is partly-primal, and a SO who is also as primal as I can get him (but who is wedded to his Standard British Diet too...baby steps, yes?) I'm 40 this year, so I guess this is my midlife crisis...

I used to write journals/diaries A LOT when I was younger (cringe) - hopefully this won't be as knuckle-gnawingly awful as they were! I don't know how this is going to turn out - might be a list of foods, might be a place to open up, who knows?

I'll record some stats, just 'cos I feel I should:
    5' 7"
    150lb
    Almost 40
    Weaknesses: bacon, dark chocolate, blue cheese, eating coconut oil by the spoonful (not too bad, huh?!)

140lb by July would be great, but it's not a mission. We'll see. I just know how much better I feel eating this way. PB has made me feel great about food, excited about it. I experiment now! And I finally feel like I know my body better. I've even started IF sometimes - just because I can. It's amazing. I eat only when I'm hungry, which is utterly new to me because before LC/primal I was hungry ALL THE TIME. And mainly for chocolate

So, that's it. Food so far today: one apple, one banana, one large spoonful coconut oil. One cup of revolting hospital canteen cappuccino with half a sachet of sugar to make it mildly less revolting. Dinner will be panfried pollock fillets with roasted broccolli, red peppers and buttered spring greens. Love it.

Cx

Hi caro_h....liking the journal so far.

It's not so hard in the UK...and there are a surprising number of us hanging around here too.

Plus our Bacon is better than US bacon (I lived there 13 years. I should know )
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    Ha, yes! I once tried to make a tomato and bacon sauce (for pasta...) when living in Minneapolis. How many packets did I get through to get an even vaguely bacon-y taste?! Tbf I think it was that Oscar Meyer stuff, should've known better.

Thanks for reading, spuggygirl. It's good to know there are a few Brits out there!

But of course, a big hello to anyone else too before I offend anyone :wink:

Hi Caro! I am in the North West UK with a primal family of 4! Great to be able to chat. There's a FB page called Primal Britain that's picking up a bit (though not very chatty).

Ps I hear you on the cringey journals! I found one from when I was 13. Mortified.

Hello, I like your journal! I live in Maine, U.S.A., and I know there are other primal/paleo people about but finding them is hard. I can relate to feeling a bit on the fringe.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Paleo-UK is another good FB page with quite a lot of traffic

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    No wonder, it is imported from where I live: Denmark