Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealing with mental sluggishness

Hi,

I'm very new to primal living, only read part of the book and had no chance to follow these forums.

I have one question which needs a quick answer.

After cutting 100% of grains (bread, pastry, rice, polenta etc.) I had two immediate reactons:

Good - my eczema disappeared from my hands

Bad - I feel mentally sluggish, even if eating plenty of carbs from fruit (papaya, oranges, banana,blueberry)

How do I get my brain back?

Give it time. It takes a couple of weeks for your body to convert over to fat metabolism and get back on your game. It's worth the wait!

In your face, Space Coyote!

Comment

Yeah, it's really a matter of time. I went through the same thing; I supplement fish oil and some ginko and it REALLY helps. Some caffeine doesn't hurt either

Comment

Omega 3 oil with every meal. Buy the liquid as it's much cheaper if you can tolerate the taste. Good luck

Comment

How many carbs are you eating? Don't forget that fruit is high in fructose which causes a surge of insulin. That will definitely make you feel mentally sluggish!

Comment

Don't eat the fruit right now. You are going through the low-carb flu and having any source of carbs will just make it last longer. Go zero-carb for a week or two and then gradually increase back to the 50-100g that Mark recommends.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

I might have to try that Griff. I ate a pear the other day, and was forced to yell "D'OH". I knew it was very sweet, but like orange juice I said "what the hell?" and found out. I'm still eating some blueberries, and veggies, and such, and the grass fed cheeze.

Comment

Geo - these are all great comments because your body needs adjusting. I would further recommend ensuring you're getting enough fats in your diet. Reducing carbs from Conventional eating to Primal means reduced energy levels, so grab some fats in addition to the Omega 3 (fish oil) and push through. The fog will lift.

Resolve to Evolve

Jeff

Twitter: @jpickett1968

Comment

YES! what Primal Chat said, fat has helped me out tremendously. No more cravings, no urge to over eat.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice!

Yeah, I probably had too much dry fruit (cranberry, dates and figs).

Primal and Dart, can you give some examples of good fat sources?

Comment

Good fats to try - bacon, olive oil, almond butter, etc. Eat some beef, steak with fat on it. Salmon has great amounts of omega-3 fats, etc. That's the beauty of many whole foods. No need to take this and that- they are the WHOLE package!

Resolve to Evolve

Jeff

Twitter: @jpickett1968

Comment

Ahhh, yes. Dried fruit is super-high carb (with the exception, sort of, of unsweetened dried berries). Figs and raisins in particular are SKY HIGH.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Cutting the dried fruit helps.

Eggs/bacon breakfast is good too.

Non the less a short siesta was still needed this afternoon to lift my fog.

Is there a section with recipes / menus somewhere on the site?

Comment

I agree with everyone that it is probably carb flu and to keep your carbs low. I, however found the foggy head lasted over a month, and have just started taking a good acidopholis supplement which seems to be working (meaning it was probably candida which was undiagnosed from the pre low carb days.). Maybe dropping the carbs led to slow candida die off which gave the head symptoms, and hopefully the supplement has speeded it up? Just guessing now but I seem much clearer headed since. My tongue looks a bit healthier too.

My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

Never heard of a low carb flu, but within a week of stopping carbs my mental function actually got sharper and I stopped having those low periods in the afternoon where I could barely keep my eyes open. Maybe it's something else you are doing or not?

Comment

Working...
                              X