X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://appshopper.com/healthcare-fit...ll-swing-timer

Love it!

Comment

Thought I'd add some android apps that I've been playing with.

I've found a couple of apps that calculate your body fat % apparently using the formula that the US military use.

Military Body Fat Calculator calculates your BF% by taking your gender, height, neck and waist measurement (and also hips for females).

The Army Fitness Calculator by 550cord.om does BF% plus a whole bunch of stuff which looks like it would be useful if you're training to join the US army and need to get your fitness up to their specs, like:

* calculate whether you would pass the army physical fitness test going by your sex, age, number of pushups and situps you can do and how quick can run 2 miles.
      * provides the APFT instructions
      * the min/max APFT times allowed for your sex / age
      * the army's height / weight allowances
      * stopwatch
      * 2 minute timer

It would be good to test the accuracy of these, so if you do know your BF% and have and android device please test and feedback here, otherwise if you are happy to give me your stats to use to test add them here or feel free to PM me

BodyFitness gives you an exercise library which does have a lot of CW body building type exercises but it also has a lot of body weight exercises, multiple workout plans (again, mostly not very PB but the Intense conditioning workout looks pretty good), a yoga section showing many different yoga poses and examples of different types of cardio activities to try.

Sparklepeople.com's 'Healthy recipes' and 'Diet & food tracker' apps, can be set to sync (though this doesn't seem to work very well) with a sparklepeople.com account or as a standalone 'fitday' type food and exercise tracker.

Sleeping and alarm apps

Relax and sleep - a sound machine which plays relaxing sounds such as waves on a beach, rain, etc. You can play one sound or use the graphic equaliser type interface to make your own mix of the different sounds.

Sleep - an alarm clock which tracks your movment to roughly guage which stage of sleep you are in so that it wakes you up at the most suitable time within a set time from of your target alarm time. The theory being that in deep sleep you don't move much, but when you're dreaming you do, so if you've set the alarm to wake you up at the best time before 8am it will wait until just after a dream stage which is apparently when you are in your lightest stage of sleep and the best time to wake up.

Works well, but is a paid app.

Smart alarm - Same as above but is free, although mine has stopped sensing movement and a reinstall didn't fix it so might have to switch.

Gentle alarm - Similar to the 2 above, but doesn't use a movement sensor, intead it starts the alarm very quietly and gradually increases the intensity so that it gradually wakes you instead of shocking you awake (is the theory).

This alarm clock has much more features than the others.
      Both a paid and free versions available, but the free version doesn't work on Wednesdays

Pushup buddy - turn it on and put your phone on the floor under your legs with the camera facing up, it then counts off as you do pushups. You can either have a female stephen hawkins style voice shouting at you, or have it counting silently.

Oh, and I've just downloaded a little app called 'Out of Milk' that I still need to try. Apparently some weirdo from one of those paleo type cults was involved in developing it...

If anyone else finds any cool but useful android apps (paleo/primal or otherwise) please post them
      Last edited by Misabi; 01-12-2011, 05:43 PM.
      If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
      If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

RunKeeper Pro is free right now.

Looks like a good GPS program for running, hiking, etc. I downloaded it but haven't tried it out yet. Just thought I'd mention it because it's only free to the end of the month (usually $10 US).

Comment

Yeah thanks Bane, someone else recommended that too.
          It doesn't work on my phone though as it's still on Android 1.6, should be getting an upgrade soon though, I hope..
          If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

I was just looking for a tabata timer app and found that there are several free ones and plenty more to buy, so will have to test some of them out. But maybe more interestingly I also a few crossfit related apps:

Strength diary - an app that so syncs with strengthdiary.com and enables users to track their xfit wods online and on their phone. Won't be testing thid one as don't really want to set up an account with the website.

Crossfit travel - have installed this and it looks quite good. It has 100 different wods on it, all of which at body weight wods with a timer built in for each wod. Wods of all descriptions and allows you to filter which wods it displays by whether they include running our are timed workouts.
            Price: approx US$2

Wods timers - what it says, looks like it has more functionality than the free timers. Has different settings e.g. amrap, tabata, interval, stop watch, but doesn't include any wods themselves.
            Price: approx US$2

Xercise - This is another paid for app and the most expensive, but if it does everything it says it would be well worth it. Going by the description, this app is the all singing, ask dancing must have for any android owning xfitter. It comes with the following:

Daily wods widget for wods from the main page.
            Wods builder, build your own wods, amrap, for time, whatever.
            Stop watch, tabata timer, gps tracker timer.
            Export workout logs to xml and into excel.
            And more...
            Price: US $4

Comment

Trying to lose weight and get healthy so I'm looking for an app that can count my carbs. preferably for the iphone or ipad. ANy suggestions?
              David DC's Progress Journal

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...nal-and-things

Comment

Fitday has an app for the iphone. I'm waiting for one for Android, but I just log in on the browser and enter my food and exercise that way.

Comment

Any Android apps people can recommend?
                  I just switched over from iPhone to a samsung captivate (i love it) but now I'm missing my MDA and my dailyburn. I cant find dailyburn on the android and I'm pretty new to this system so I'm not sure about apps that would be similar.

Comment

I actually found a website that myself and my wife are using that has both an iphone and android app. Called myfitnesspal.com it tracks all your food and exercises and graphs everything. Not 100% related to paleo/primal but the tools section is pretty useful.

Comment

I'm happy with the SparkPeople and SparkRecipes iPhone/iPad apps for entering stuff on the go. (But I love logging...)
                      "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

https://market.android.com/details?i...gami.outofmilk

I could be biased about this application, mainly because I built it and I'm an owner of the company, but seriously if you have an Android phone I think you'll really like this app. You can manage your shopping lists, keep track of what is in your pantry, and even set to-do item with alarms.

Within the next two months we are releasing the next version which will have the following:
                        1. Full featured website that allows you to build your lists and then sync them to your phone automatically. No more trying to manage large shopping lists over the device. Instead, built your lists and go and it will already be on your phone by the time you get to the store.
                        2. Share your lists with family and friends and changes you make or they make the list will be updated in real time on everyone's phone who has that list!
                        3. Widgets for the home-screen
                        4. Ability to add and manage coupons for your shopping lists

What we are doing is only possible with support from our users, so I really hope you guys will download and enjoy it.

(I searched the thread in case I'd posted before and forgot, I don't think I've posted it here... )

Comment

Thanks Rivvin,
                          I just downloaded your app I'm gonna try it out. I need to write a shopping list anyways I just got the cookbook in the mail and im gonna make up a nice menu for the week

Comment

OK, I'll bite Rivvin.
                            Interface looks decent, and a girl never has too many lists.

(SWEET! You can load from the market webpage?
                            I didn't know that. When did that change?

/end hijack)
                            Chief cook & bottle washer for one kid, a dog, 6 hens, 2 surprise! roosters, two horses, and a random 'herd' of quail.

~The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something one knows nothing about and refuses to investigate~

Comment

Originally posted by Eklecktika View Post
                              OK, I'll bite Rivvin.
                              Interface looks decent, and a girl never has too many lists.

(SWEET! You can load from the market webpage?
                              I didn't know that. When did that change?

/end hijack)
                              They seriously updated the market stuff a few weeks ago, it's actually quite usable now, finally!

Comment

Just downloaded the App and can't wait to use it! Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X