Which saw for bones?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which saw for bones?

Ok - got a basic question with hopefully an easy answer - is a standard hacksaw the best thing to use to cut bones to make bone broth? I am thinking of getting one for my kitchen.

Anyone already do this?

Thanks!
    Healthy is the new wealthy.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/ances...handnutrition/

Originally posted by Owen View Post
    Ok - got a basic question with hopefully an easy answer - is a standard hacksaw the best thing to use to cut bones to make bone broth? I am thinking of getting one for my kitchen.

Anyone already do this?

Thanks!
    My butcher will cut bones for me... Are you sure your meat supplier cannot do the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Possibly but I often buy meat on the bone and currently I break them with a hammer, which can be messy :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Owen View Post
        Possibly but I often buy meat on the bone and currently I break them with a hammer, which can be messy :-)
        Oh. I just buy grassfed bones at $2.99/lb...even get some meat on them too.
        ------
        HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

This is the preferrable option no doubt!

Comment

Chain.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
              Chain.

Sent via F-22 Raptor
              *pictures Mr. Anthony chain-sawing a giant dinosaur bone*

I've seen my butcher use a saw that looks just like a hacksaw, so that should work! Hunters also use bone saws, google it!

Comment

Good point, just googled hunter's bone saw, that looks like a useful purchase. The butchers bone saws are a bit expensive but it looks like a standard hacksaw will do the job

Comment

My dad used a hacksaw on some lamb bones once. It left a blue stain on them but other than that it was good. XD
                  Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

This is NOT the same as a hacksaw......

Amazon.com: Weston Butcher Saw with 22 Inch Stainless Steel Blade: Kitchen & Dining

Comment

i have used a pruning saw on venison leg bones and i also axe them. a good bone saw would be rather nifty. bones from the shop, i ask nicely and get them to saw up for me.

Comment

First thing that came to mind for me was using an autopsy bone saw but that is just the way my mind works....sorry.

Randal
                        AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
                        Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
                        http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

my only concern with an autopsy saw is it prob doesnt stay sharp as long as a more mundane saw as i bet they only use them once. i def need a bone saw. had to axe the end off a venison hock today to fit it in the slow cooker. who knows where the axe had been either. thinking about it, i can disjoint an animal with just a knife. you just need to cut the joints in the right place. and i reckon a $10 hand saw from the local hardware store would prob do the trick for any bones you need to saw up.

Comment

Originally posted by texas.grok View Post
                            First thing that came to mind for me was using an autopsy bone saw but that is just the way my mind works....sorry.

It would work.... as, that is it's intended purpose......

Comment

The autopsy and butcher's saws are in some ways similar...... I'm thinking of getting the small hunter's one as I only occasionally need to do this -after I've cooked a large joint on the bone and want to then use the remaining bone for broth

Comment

Working...
                              X